Dumb question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Is there a simple/easy way to tell if the water pump and timing belt has been changed on a prospective LC purchase that is a trade-in with no records? What I'm wondering if you put it on a rack can you tell by looking/easy access point? Thanks, could not find this doing a search.

If done at the dealer, there should be a sticker, possibly on the plastic cover that will say the Timing belt was replaced.

Thanks, I will look for it and if not there I will assume it was not changed.

yes there "should" be a sticker if the t-belt was done, not if the waterpump has been done.

My 99 LX had no sticker but had the records(paper and in the dealer computer) that it had been done. My 2000 LC.......t-belt and pump ect was done, my dealer(tech) forgot to put the sticker on, I went back and got one and installed it myself. So the sticker is not a good clue unless it was one, and even then no clue on the waterpump.

But, take a look at the backside of the radiator, look for marks on it where the "tech" hit the rad with the fan when taking the stuff apart, if you see marks(fins bent) then you can assume that "something" was done and it was prolly the t-belt......now there is the off chance the tech that worked on it was carefull and didnt hit the rad with the fan......but thats just a off chance ;)

Lexus I think requires the waterpump and tensioners to be replaced when the t-belt is done. Toyota does not and my dealer does not recomend it(which I disagree with) So Lexus, prolly done, Toyota.....unless anal, edumactaed owner and fan of IH8MUD.....its prolly not been done.

John

hoser said:
If done at the dealer, there should be a sticker, possibly on the plastic cover that will say the Timing belt was replaced.

T-belt.....

I Just Did Mines Yesterday And The Dealer Banged Me For $515 Dollars For A Replacement Of The T-belt & Accessory Belt. I Also Wanted To Change The Water Pump And The Dealer Wanted To Add $325 On Top Of That! I Was Like Are You For Real? Dealers Know How To Snatch Your Money.......got The Service Done With 99,700 Mi On My Lc. I'm Going To Check To See If I Have That Sticker Put On. If Not...is It Required By The Dealer To Have It Put On?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom