Dumb Question? What's the blower motor on the drivers fender? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
What does the blower motor on the drivers fender in the engine bay for?

Also, I have what looks to be a filter on my power steering hose. What is that?

It cools your carb for easy restarts. It started on the fj40's

What @MoaByte said. What's funny is many FJ62s have that blower as well. I removed mine long ago, but have been toying with the idea of reinstalling it with a temp sensor connected to the diode pack on the alternator and a duct blowing directly onto it. Heat is the primary killer of the diode packs and voltage regulators on our alternators, especially if you have a higher output alt (like my 120A).

What does the blower motor on the drivers fender in the engine bay for?

Also, I have what looks to be a filter on my power steering hose. What is that?

Search "carb fan" here in the 60 forum and you will fimd a lot of info. Does yours come on and run after shutdown?

I was digging around in the engine compartment and noticed it was unplugged and wasn't sure what it was for. I'll reattach the plug and see if it does anything.

Carb fan or intake? My 62 has fan no carb. My understanding is that it will run after truck is off to cool intake and prevent I from cracking... correct me if I'm wrong.

Last edited:
Everyone here calls it a "carb fan" but Toyota doesn't. The intake manifold (and thus carburetor on the 2F) will overheat because of the wicked hot catalytic converter bolted up a few feet away. 60 series cruisers in other countries with the 2F and 3F carbed engines that don't have smog equipment or a cat don't have a manifold blower fan.

Everyone here calls it a "carb fan" but Toyota doesn't. The intake manifold (and thus carburetor on the 2F) will overheat because of the wicked hot catalytic converter bolted up a few feet away. 60 series cruisers in other countries with the 2F and 3F carbed engines that don't have smog equipment or a cat don't have a manifold blower fan.
So I really so not need a carb fan I'd I have deleted the catalytic converter.

However its very hot here in Texas during the summer, and I plan on adding a header to the exhaust. I plan on keeping the intake fan.

Your thoughts @OSS and @Beno..please

Definitely keep the manifold/carb fan and make sure it works even if you dont have a cat.

@Lordhelemt

The filter on your PS line is probably a Microfine or Magnafine Trans filter. It keeps the fluid clean and is a good thing... I added one to mine.

Like this?

1578079764994.png

The carb fan blowing after you park is part of the personality of the fj60. So many people have asked me about it with concern that the battery was gonna go dead. 😂

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom