Dumb Question - Pilot Bearing (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm trying to diagnose and understand some noises coming from my clutch. I realize I really don't know the purpose of the pilot bearing and where it's located. Can somebody enlighten a dummy and tell me its purpose and where it would be on this pic? Thanks.
clutch.jpg

Pilot Bearing

It supports the end of the output shaft of the transmission.In the picture you have it is not shown but it would be at the end of the shaft on the left hand side. Your picture shows it stuck in the end of the crankshaft but doesn't show the bearing. HTH Bill

It supports the end of the output shaft of the transmission.In the picture you have it is not shown but it would be at the end of the shaft on the left hand side. Your picture shows it stuck in the end of the crankshaft but doesn't show the bearing. HTH Bill

So it actually sits in the "Center" of the flywheel?

The pilot bearing resides in the end of the crank and the end of the tranny input shaft passes through it. The pic doesn't show it, but it's at the end of the red line.
Pilot.jpg

yes, the devil put them there to drive us crazy mad trying to get them out! :) what a pain in the ass that one is...

Noah

Not when ya got the proper puller! Piece o cake.

Can you remove and replace the pilot bearing without having to take anything else out, ie. trans, x-fer.

No, you gotta take that stuff out to get to the pilot bearing.

Can you remove and replace the pilot bearing without having to take anything else out, ie. trans, x-fer.

you can leave the bell housing and flywheel....everything has to come out.

easy solution actually,

Wet news paper..

small pieces at a time and a snug fitting dowel of some sort. Works a lot better if the dust seals are blown out on the bearing (common in my world for some reason)

Grease works too. Fill up the void, insert the dowel and take a whack with a hammer.

easy solution actually,

Wet news paper..

small pieces at a time and a snug fitting dowel of some sort. Works a lot better if the dust seals are blown out on the bearing (common in my world for some reason)
I'll have to remember that Mace, sounds cleaner that the grease pack hydrostatic shock process.

Grease only works if your sealed bearings are still sealed, if not, the grease just spits out of the voids between the balls..

You're tellin me..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom