Dumb question from a 60 owner about 40 4WD (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Rusto

SILVER Star
Threads
So, I'm finally getting serious about adding 40 to the mix in my house. Test drove a couple, perusing all the familiar haunts, (classifieds, the list of Craig, Bringatrailerfullyofmoney, etc) starting to narrow down what I want. I had an old Chevy pickup years ago a with a straight 6, three on the tree and bench seat so I'm leaning towards the a 69-72 vintage. Love the three piece bench made from late 71 into 72...

I have question about the dash-mounted vacuum actuator and 4WD. Do these models ONLY have low-range 4wd? Seems like it, but I want to confirm, is it either 2H or 4L? Without that floor shifter and two-speed transfer case, that's my guess.

Ah, to be a noob again....

Thanks.

nope
2H
4H
4L
the small button engages the front drive(4H)
the dash lever does 4L

Thank you! I knew I was missing something. The education continues..

Actually the tranny and transfer is almost identical to the 60 series. If you have ever studied the way your transfer shifts, you will see Toyota never changed the design from the original dash operated 4WD shifting schemes of the early 40's. In fact if you ever drove a FJ62, the push button 4WD works exactly like the early FJ40.

On a 60, or floor shifted 40, when you pull the transfer shifter back you slide the rod on the front nose cone of the front driveshaft output to move the collar in the transfer case and engage the front driveshaft. The dash switch activates solenoids which allows vacuum to one side or the other of a large diaphragm with an arm on it that also moved that rod on the front nose cone. The shifting mechanism hung on the side of the transfer where the shaft resides on your 60.

When you push the lever over to the side, you push or pull a linkage rod over the top of the transfer to engage or disengage the low range gears in the transfer, accomplished with a dog clutch. This linkage attaches to a little exposed arm on the top of the case. The large handle you pull back on the dash of an early 40 simply pushed or pulled a heavy cable that also moved this same exact arm on the top of the case.

Thanks @MoCoNative I knew they were very similar if not the same on the inside, but your explanation captures it nicely. I've been thinking that if I find a 40 with no transmission or a bad one, they I swap in a H55f into the 60 and move the H42 to the 40. Win-win..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom