Dumb not dumber, Run to CO from TX. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
@abtx4x4 @FARMAN33 @HemiAlex and I are making a run from Houston to CO in the next couple weeks. Hope to spend about 5 days on the trails. Hope all four of us can post up some pics here of the adventure. Two 60’s and two 40’s, cool weather and some great Aspen tree colors we hope.

Will take route up thru Amarillo and hopefully some more back roads from there after we hit CO.

I highly recommend exploring Valle Vidal in NM as part of your trip. Well worth the drive if you have time for it.

Valle Vidal

20151001_130246-1.jpg

Thanks Potato Launcher. We are taking this as our test run. I have pulled the 40 up thru your neck of the woods. Will stay out by airport road. And hopefully run the Arkansas River till twin lakes and over the top from there. Little down valley to my place then in Snowmass area. First trip for two of the rigs. I can’t wait. Look forward to 70’s and heaters on up top. Looks like a really cool place, maybe different route back and catch it. Marc.

89512F28-FA1C-4C59-9962-AF7016D27FA7.jpeg
AFC87235-E35D-48CC-BC71-6E6A34AB8EB2.jpeg
2617449E-7F2C-48BE-9610-1E1F62E61F02.jpeg
94D42155-E26C-44D4-B303-786A8AF21A88.jpeg
Photos start

How's the trail over Pearl Pass? Would it be better in my nearly stock '76 FJ40 (H41/3-speed transfer case and 30X9.50s) or my '86 FJ60 (3FE/H55f, OME suspension, and 4.11s)?

How's the trail over Pearl Pass? Would it be better in my nearly stock '76 FJ40 (H41/3-speed transfer case and 30X9.50s) or my '86 FJ60 (3FE/H55f, OME suspension, and 4.11s)?

Pearl was my favorite, it was challenging in spots and the scenery was great. The 60 in our group had the most trouble on Pearl. If it had a locker things would have been different. The extra wheelbase of the 60 helped in spots but also hurt it in spots. It was definitely the most comfortable. Both 40s made it fairly easily, but both have a lift, rear lockers and 32 or 33 inch tires. The 60 had 33s.
You're going to get into the rocks and your u-bolts and diffs will hit in places. You didn't mention tire size or lockers on the 60, so it's tough to say based on what you mentioned.

No lockers yet, maybe some day I'll install some.

Thanks for the feedback! Looks like nice trail.

Maybe by the time you do your next Houston to CO trip I’ll be ready to do some of that with you. I’m in Amarillo and just getting started in all that’s 4x4. Selling the Corvette to get the off-Roader I want.

Maybe by the time you do your next Houston to CO trip I’ll be ready to do some of that with you. I’m in Amarillo and just getting started in all that’s 4x4. Selling the Corvette to get the off-Roader I want.

Hello

Those are great pictures!

Epic trip!

I spend July/August in the area also. Going to try and make this an annual trip with the Houston guys. Although this year I look forward to seeing some different stuff for a week in Ouray with #solidaxle2018! Joining the group for the first time this year. Really look forward to those trails.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom