Dumb Fuel pump question

Discussion in '40- & 55-Series Tech' started by spike6901, Aug 11, 2005.

1. spike6901

spike6901

Dumb question of the day #1: :doh:

Does my '80 FJ40 actualy have an electric fuel pump? I was looking at the wiring and tracing them and ended up at something that look a whole lot like a fuel pump. Sorry for being dumb but I am used to the mechanical type like in old V8's.

2. Gumby

Gumby Supamod Staff Member s-Moderator

Your 2F should have a mechanical pump on the lower right side of the engine block.

3. brian

brian SILVER Star

it has had 25 years to be altered from what it "should" have, to what it "does" have.

but it "should" have a mech pump as Gumby stated, down in front of the oil filter....assuming that is still where it "should" be :flipoff2:

4. NJFJ40

NJFJ40

Mechanical pump as others stated - its a sealed unit so you can't re-build if the diaphragm is torn/worn and if its leaking out the weep-hole. Older mech pumps on the 40s could be rebuilt but not the stock one that came on an 80 FJ40.

AndrewT

5. spike6901

spike6901

I guess I will have to take a pic of it. There are pos and neg wires going to it, it is inline of the fuel hose just as it enters the engine bay. There is even a "flow" indicator on it. Now I am stumped.

Will return with a pic and see what you folks think.

6. NJFJ40

NJFJ40

Where does the line go from that electric pump?

Some people put electric pumps in the fuel line between the tank and the mech fuel pump on the block. That thing you have may be one of those.

If the line from it goes to the PS of the block near the oil filter and battery tray - than its going to the hopefully stock mech pump on your block. If they go right to the carb then someone removed or bypassed your stock mech pump and you only have that electric pump.

AndrewT

7. spike6901

spike6901

Thanks, will check that out. If I remember corretly, it go from this thing into the mechanical pump "area". Will check for sure.

8. NJFJ40

NJFJ40

Stock mech pump should look like this:

Last edited: Mar 24, 2006
  9. LandCruiserSteve

LandCruiserSteve

That's exactly what my '79 had (with a on-off switch for the the electric). Never had to use it, but it was a nice back-up in the rare event that the mechanical one should ever take a dump.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.