Dumb Fuel pump question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Dumb question of the day #1: :doh:

Does my '80 FJ40 actualy have an electric fuel pump? I was looking at the wiring and tracing them and ended up at something that look a whole lot like a fuel pump. Sorry for being dumb but I am used to the mechanical type like in old V8's.

it has had 25 years to be altered from what it "should" have, to what it "does" have.

but it "should" have a mech pump as Gumby stated, down in front of the oil filter....assuming that is still where it "should" be :flipoff2:

Mechanical pump as others stated - its a sealed unit so you can't re-build if the diaphragm is torn/worn and if its leaking out the weep-hole. Older mech pumps on the 40s could be rebuilt but not the stock one that came on an 80 FJ40.

AndrewT

I guess I will have to take a pic of it. There are pos and neg wires going to it, it is inline of the fuel hose just as it enters the engine bay. There is even a "flow" indicator on it. Now I am stumped.

Will return with a pic and see what you folks think.

Where does the line go from that electric pump?

Some people put electric pumps in the fuel line between the tank and the mech fuel pump on the block. That thing you have may be one of those.

If the line from it goes to the PS of the block near the oil filter and battery tray - than its going to the hopefully stock mech pump on your block. If they go right to the carb then someone removed or bypassed your stock mech pump and you only have that electric pump.

AndrewT

Thanks, will check that out. If I remember corretly, it go from this thing into the mechanical pump "area". Will check for sure.

Stock mech pump should look like this:

Last edited:
NJFJ40 said:
Some people put electric pumps in the fuel line between the tank and the mech fuel pump on the block. That thing you have may be one of those.

That's exactly what my '79 had (with a on-off switch for the the electric). Never had to use it, but it was a nice back-up in the rare event that the mechanical one should ever take a dump.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom