Dumb electrical question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I think I know the answer to this, just not the quickest way to fix it. The left tail light of my 40 doesn't work. I put in a new bulb, and the turn signal, flasher, and brake light all work, just not the running light on the left side. So what does that mean? A break in the wire or a loose connection at the fixture? I haven't had time to take the fixture out and check it. It's a fairly new replacement fixture with no rust on it. I did put a voltage tester on the socket and the needle jumps when I touch the contacts with the lights on.

I had the same problem with some really cheap light assemblies from SOR (on clearance). The bulb and socket didn't have a good contact. I got it to work most of the time by realigning the contacts in the socket. These things are really shoddy, cant wait to replace them.

I'm not sure what you mean by "realigning the contacts in the socket". I think my fixture is from CCOT, but it could be OEM. It's a gold anodized color. It's a bayonnet type with 2 fixed contact points. Are you saying you can rotate that whole bottom piece that has the contacts? I'm trying to do this from memory as I'm at work and the Cruiser's at home. It would seem that there's good contact since the other functions work.

Last edited:
paulj said:
I'm not sure what you mean by "realigning the contacts in the socket". I think my fixture is from CCOT, but it could be OEM. It's a gold anodized color. It's a bayonnet type with 2 fixed contact points. Are you saying you can rotate that whole bottom piece that has the contacts? I'm trying to do this from memory as I'm at work and the Cruiser's at home. It would seem that there's good contact since the other functions work.

Yes exactly, the little disk with the 2 wire contacts in the socket was kind of cock-eyed in mine. When I twisted the bulb in it did not make a good connection. I had to play around with it to get the bulb to light. It will still go out if you wiggle it, so I’m sure the problem will resurface.

If you are getting a reading of 12V from the socket but the bulb will not light, CCOT will probably exchange it for you.

jcj_78FJ40 said:
If you are getting a reading of 12V from the socket but the bulb will not light, CCOT will probably exchange it for you.
Mmm.. Maybe. I didn't put it in. PO did. I guess I could go up there some time and try.

So where would the next connection further up be? I've got a wiring diagram at home I can check, but wondered if anybody knows.

Probably at the light switch, but you might want to follow the wire.
It is easier to just use a test light probe on the socket contact with a good ground. If the meter reads 12V, but the test light won't light, then you know that the next upstream connection is bad/corroded/high resistance because the contact isn't flowing enough current to run the bulb.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom