Dumb ambulance door lock question 79 FJ40 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Cruiser804

SILVER Star
Threads
This may be a stupid question. 79 FJ40. Thought my rear door lock cylinder was bad because the key would not come our when the door was unlocked. Well...ordered a new one, installed it, same deal. Took it out, turned the square shaft a quarter turn and reinstalled. Now it won't come out when its locked. Is this a "feature"? LOL

I finally figured out on my '77 that whether turning the key to lock or unlock, the key had to be returned to vertical position to remove it.

So maybe I'm an idiot but I cannot get the key to come out of the rear door of my '83 FJ45 Troopy in both positions. I can remove it locked or remove it unlocked by moving the position of the latch 180 degrees but it won't work both ways. I installed new cylinders on all doors when I bought it and left it "locked to remove the key" at that time. Now that I'm back in the US I have changed it to "unlocked to remove the key".

So to be very specific, I installed the cylinder into a brand new rear latch assembly and it was installed locked. When you insert the key, you can unlock the door but the key won't come out - in any position except locked. If you try to turn the key back to vertical (to remove the key) after unlocking, the lock relocks on the last 1/4 turn and then the key will come out.

Will this cylinder really allow the key to come out in both positions?

Last edited:
I may have to start a new thread but thought I would bump this one one more time first.

Hopefully a very simple question: Can you remove the key from the ambulance door in both the locked and unlocked positions in a 1976 or newer FJ40 (or FJ45 Troopy)?

I may have to start a new thread but thought I would bump this one one more time first.

Hopefully a very simple question: Can you remove the key from the ambulance door in both the locked and unlocked positions in a 1976 or newer FJ40 (or FJ45 Troopy)?

I can in my (12/79 build) 1980.

I can in my (12/79 build) 1980.
Thanks. I must be doing something wrong because I seem to only be able to have it one way or the other. At the moment it's unlocked with the key out; which is fine for my needs. It would be nice to know what I'm doing wrong though.

Thanks. I must be doing something wrong because I seem to only be able to have it one way or the other. At the moment it's unlocked with the key out; which is fine for my needs. It would be nice to know what I'm doing wrong though.

Is there by any chance more than one way to orient the cylinder when you installed it? In other words, could the cylinder be 180 or even 90 degrees off? I wouldn't know, I've never had mine off or apart.

Is there by any chance more than one way to orient the cylinder when you installed it? In other words, could the cylinder be 180 or even 90 degrees off? I wouldn't know, I've never had mine off or apart.
Yes you can install it upside down (180 degrees) but then the cover plate attachment point would be at the bottom and not at the top. Not sure it would help. I installed a new rear door latch at the same time so maybe there's something wrong there? It was OEM and new but of course that doesn't mean I have everything correct.

My 76 I have to return the key to center to remove it

My 76 I have to return the key to center to remove it
Thanks. When I return mine to center it relocks the door during the last 1/4 turn (when I have it set to be locked to remove the key). I must be doing something wrong with the cylinder and latch. I'll have to play with it some more.

No worries, we all have questions! It sounds like the square shaft's position might be causing the issue. When the key won't come out, try adjusting the square shaft's orientation slightly. If it's still giving you trouble, lubricating the lock mechanism could help.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom