DUI/ MAF HEI hypothetical wiring. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have searched/ read a good deal of threads on this subject and I keep asking myself the same question.

Are these threads convoluted, or are the manufacturers instructions incomplete?

DUI distributor (semi vague install instruction) specifies needs 12V constant, and tach hookup (2 prongs on dissy)

The dissy I will be installing.

MAF “ lightning strike” install instructions (more in depth on install process in general)

I realize these are technically different objects. Putting it here for reference. Again needs 12V constant and Tach (2 prongs on dissy)

Are the relays and whatnot some folks are running extraneous? There are a lot of knowledgeable users here. I assume these installs are not just peoples ocd about how things should be done. Sorry to start a thread about a possibly dead horse.

Thanks

what is wrong with your stock distributor?
the stock unit is well built and is fully electronic, at least US spec ones,
my opinion is not to use either of the above.

what is wrong with your stock distributor?
the stock unit is well built and is fully electronic, at least US spec ones,
my opinion is not to use either of the above.

Turns out you only need tach and batt to run these (like the manufacturer suggests).

Nothing wrong with the stock part. Ill be running the DUI in tandem with a header/ sniper. I have one on my 85 with a weber/ header/ cam. The throttle response is night and day to my stock 83.

The relay is really only necessary when running an HEI module. If they don't get the current they need they'll burn out prematurely. This was my own experience with my old Plymouth that I related in the thread about using an HEI controller in a 60. Wasted three of them in that old car before I figured that little detail out. Never had a problem after I added the relay.

As far as on your replacement distributor, I would doubt a relay is necessary.

The relay is really only necessary when running an HEI module. If they don't get the current they need they'll burn out prematurely. This was my own experience with my old Plymouth that I related in the thread about using an HEI controller in a 60. Wasted three of them in that old car before I figured that little detail out. Never had a problem after I added the relay.

As far as on your replacement distributor, I would doubt a relay is necessary.

Good info thanks for explaining. I assumed there was a reason people were doing it. That could get expensive.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom