DUI HEI non-vacuum advance (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Need some advice folks. Rebuilding a de-smoked 1974 F engine and when I got to the distributor it’s a DUI with only mechanical advance. Engraved underneath says 30degrees @ 3000. It basically seems clean, tight and sound - but - I’ll continue to use this rig for daily street driving. What are you recommendations for a dizzy? Keep this, rebuild it or replace?
Thanks

C506C64E-4ECF-402F-A184-5A3F871FAE4D.jpeg

F9F053B8-8C3D-4E8C-8DF0-45810A7865C5.jpeg

If it was working before the rebuild then I say keep using it. Was there anything to say it was not working as expected before the rebuild?

If it was working before the rebuild then I say keep using it. Was there anything to say it was not working as expected before the rebuild?
Good point, it’s never really run ‘well’ and often it missed and backfired pretty bad. Decided to tear down the engine due to low compression in two cylinders. The walls were scored badly

What I’d like to learn is if anyone else uses a mechanical unit like this- and why or why not change back to oem

its foolish to not have vacuum advance?
there are only a few applications were it makes any sense, normally race engines and boat engines were most operation is at nearly to completely wide open throttle most of the time.

its foolish to not have vacuum advance?
there are only a few applications were it makes any sense, normally race engines and boat engines were most operation is at nearly to completely wide open throttle most of the time.
Thanks- I’m learning. Looks like I’ll be shopping

The way I was taught by Toyota is that the Landcruiser engine demands 40 degrees advance spark on hard accelerations. The stock dizzy gives 32 degrees mechanical, you set your static timing at 8 degrees advanced, there's your 40 degrees- - -then the vacuum advance merely works on demand. Your 30 degree mechanical never ever gave you more than the 30 degrees, so you would have had to set your static timing at 10 degree, which might have given you idle/drivability problems, with no vacuum advance for correction ???

The way I was taught by Toyota is that the Landcruiser engine demands 40 degrees advance spark on hard accelerations. The stock dizzy gives 32 degrees mechanical, you set your static timing at 8 degrees advanced, there's your 40 degrees- - -then the vacuum advance merely works on demand. Your 30 degree mechanical never ever gave you more than the 30 degrees, so you would have had to set your static timing at 10 degree, which might have given you idle/drivability problems, with no vacuum advance for correction ???

This is really helpful
So since this rig has a Weber 38 it- do you have any idea what distributor will team up well with it?

This is really helpful
So since this rig has a Weber 38 it- do you have any idea what distributor will team up well with it?
1977 stock Landcriuiser dizzy, small body, vacuum advance, home run!!!!!!!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom