DUI Aftermarket HEI distributor for F/2F engines? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Anybody ever heard of these? I know about having JimC or someone else on the club recurve your dizzy if you desmog, but haven't heard of an actual *upgrade* that would produce better spark. Wondering if it comes with its own bottle of snake oil, or if its legit. Here's the ad copy from a CL ad that I saw this one. An no, I don't own one, have one for sale, or any interest other than theory at this point - I have yet to get a trollhole carb and thus *need* a recurved dizzy. Though now that I live outside of AZ's draconian smog politics I may yet do that.

Glenn - Marana, AZ

Toyota Land Cruiser FJ40 and FJ60 DUI Distributor (Davis Unified Ignition by Performance Distributors)
Fits 68 - 87 Toyota F and 2F engines.
PN# 80820
Brand new, never used
Price: $300

Performance DUI Live Wires available in Black and Blue wires
LiveWires For Toyota DUI
Delivering a high voltage spark to the plug requires a quality spark plug wire. Our LiveWires are unsurpassed in quality by offering low resistance and high temperature protection. The 8 mm wire is covered by a heat treated fiberglass sleeve that protects the wire up to 1400° F. The spiral wound core is radio suppression so there is no radio noise or computer interference. Unlike universal plug wire sets, LiveWires do not require any assembly. All sets are custom fit and numbered at each end for the correct cylinder. Colors available are black, blue, purple, red, silver and yellow. Please visit our LiveWires page for more information.
PN# C9079
Price: $75 each

Simple One Wire Hookup
Internal Coil and Module
Water, Mud & Vibration Proof
Allows For Wider Plug Gap

Local pickup or can ship for additional charges

keywords: Toyota, land cruiser, F engine, 2F engine, 4x4 truck, landcruiser, distributor, ignition, electrical, auto parts,

Product Description
Toyota Landcruiser F and 2F owners, get charged with a D.U.I.! NO, not that D.U.I. but the Performance Distributors DUI (Davis Unified Ignition)! Installing our DUI into the F or 2F engine means you will be "Driving Under the Influence" of "MORE POWER!" This is the original one-wire ignition system for the Toyota inline 6 cylinder. Built from high quality components, the DUI is the most powerful and reliable stand alone distributor available for the Landcruisers. Our high voltage coil, located inside the distributor cap, produces a spark strong enough to fire a massive .055″ plug gap! The internal high dwell module provides longer spark duration for a crisper, smoother running engine. The mechanical advance assembly is a true Performance Distributors specialty. We use a high performance weight and spring assembly engineered for super smooth operation. The advance assembly is tuned using a Sun distributor machine to ensure a precise timing curve that will provide maximum power throughout the RPM range while eliminating engine damaging detonation. An adjustment free vacuum advance is selected to work with the centrifugal advance for better drivability and increased fuel mileage. Along with more horsepower and torque, additional benefits include quicker starting and smoother idle. The Landcruiser DUI is also designed to be virtually waterproof, making it ideal for off-road conditions. With the internal electronics protected, the DUI will continue to run when other ignition systems fail after being exposed to the off-road elements. Although the DUI is uniquely designed, replacement parts are easy to find. GM HEI replacement parts will fit right on the DUI and these parts can be found at your local auto parts store. Don't be fooled by the cheap imitation one wire distributors that are available, the DUI is unsurpassed in quality and is the original one-piece ignition system for Landcruisers!

DUI 2f distributor.jpg

I would inquire as to where they get the "base". As I understand it, all the base units are from china, and the same source.

That having been said, I adapted 2 non DUI (Ebay) units for TBI 7 pin and both fried the pickup coil. They literally melted, I was perplexed until I noticed the cam gear contact was only on the bottom gear of the units, and not the center. I checked it to the original distributor, and low an behold, the assembly is 3/8" off. I think because it only contacts the lower 1/3 of the helical cut gear at a 90deg angle, downward force is applied to the shaft, and the HEI rotor/weight assembly appears to ride only on a steel washer, not any sort of sealed rolling bearing, and it eventually heats up and melts the surrounding plastic covering the coil.- That's my story, and I'm sticking to it! :)

My solution was to acquire a decent fj60 dizzy, remove the weights, wire the advance closed, and send the signal to an 8 pin "small cap" module externally mounted, with external MSD coil etc. It runs awesome with the TBI. Ive removed it twice to check the inside, and inspected it for heat a few times after long trips, and its fine. The last chinese HEI "large cap" was too hot to touch when it failed. The coil casing plastic was gooed up in the shaft when disassembled and the winding wires were such a wrapped up orange mess, it looked like Trumps hair was climbing out of my distributor.

Once again, I'd call and ask the country of origin of the base assemblies. I find it hard to believe there's more than one manufacturer making replacement HEI dizzy bases for 2f engines. How big can the market possibly be?

I had the DUI HEI dissy on my FJ45, certainly no complaints, but not sure it was worth what I paid for it. Bottom line, it did what I bought it for perfectly, and I would probably do it again if needed.

Most reviews on the Chinese units are scathing because they don't last long. OEM dizzy has ball bearings and is weather resistant.

some of the cheaper HEI units are known for grenading the cam gears and oil pumps. there are some that are a cut above, but a big cap OEM dizzy really can't be beat IMO...DUIs belong with webers AFAIC, and my weber lives on the back porch.

I don't think a hotter spark will make much if any difference, these don't take much spark to run great.

I broke the coil wire on a 77 2f with fj60 dizzy, all I had to stuff in the cap was this tiny wire (which didn't even look like wire) stuffed wire in, added some tape to hold it in, darn thing fired right up and ran perfect.

Should be picking up a 60 with a DUI set up, will change back to fj6o dizzy

I have run a DUI HEI on my cruiser since i bought it in 2009 (and it was on the truck for a long time before that)

I have no complaints and the truck starts easy and runs smoothly. I've never had any spark or timing issues.

Having said that, I often think about putting the stock distributor on there, just for the stock look and toyota designed reliability.

I would inquire as to where they get the "base". As I understand it, all the base units are from china, and the same source.

That having been said, I adapted 2 non DUI (Ebay) units for TBI 7 pin and both fried the pickup coil. They literally melted, I was perplexed until I noticed the cam gear contact was only on the bottom gear of the units, and not the center. I checked it to the original distributor, and low an behold, the assembly is 3/8" off. I think because it only contacts the lower 1/3 of the helical cut gear at a 90deg angle, downward force is applied to the shaft, and the HEI rotor/weight assembly appears to ride only on a steel washer, not any sort of sealed rolling bearing, and it eventually heats up and melts the surrounding plastic covering the coil.- That's my story, and I'm sticking to it! :)

My solution was to acquire a decent fj60 dizzy, remove the weights, wire the advance closed, and send the signal to an 8 pin "small cap" module externally mounted, with external MSD coil etc. It runs awesome with the TBI. Ive removed it twice to check the inside, and inspected it for heat a few times after long trips, and its fine. The last chinese HEI "large cap" was too hot to touch when it failed. The coil casing plastic was gooed up in the shaft when disassembled and the winding wires were such a wrapped up orange mess, it looked like Trumps hair was climbing out of my distributor.

Once again, I'd call and ask the country of origin of the base assemblies. I find it hard to believe there's more than one manufacturer making replacement HEI dizzy bases for 2f engines. How big can the market possibly be?
Sounds like u got it running good man. Awesome

Sounds like u got it running good man. Awesome

I've had a few 2f's and this runs great, wheels great, around town great, but it belongs in an fj40! :) Its not highway mountain grade great. My threshold for the highway seems to be 50HP higher than is reasonable for a 2f.

Again, to the OP, change whatever you want with the ignition and spark and fuel, except the dizzy. The large cap 2f toyota dizzy is a real solid unit.

Thanks for all your help. It's delayed a swap for a couple years, and I can spend the $$ on my MG'BGT supercharging. :)

the chevy hei disy mod is an old mod.
been running an hei since the mid 90s. about the only thing that needs to happen with a junkyard unit is to fit a toyota cam gear to it.
not sure about the dui version...but from what i've seen it's just an expensive version of an hei and all the hype and extra voltage....really doesn't do anything an ordinary hei doesn't do.

the chevy hei disy mod is an old mod.
been running an hei since the mid 90s. about the only thing that needs to happen with a junkyard unit is to fit a toyota cam gear to it.
not sure about the dui version...but from what i've seen it's just an expensive version of an hei and all the hype and extra voltage....really doesn't do anything an ordinary hei doesn't do.
Just a 350 distributor or some other chevy motor can u do this?

Well obviously not one from 350, but yes.

Just now noticed that this is in the 60 series section.

This subject has a long track record in the 40 series section.

Last edited:
Brian - thanks for chiming in on this. Hadn't even thought to search the 40 forums - guess y'all would be just as interested in making the F/2F work as best as possible.

Glenn

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom