Duh, how to get the bellhousing off? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So, I finally pulled the engine out over the weekend. Now it's sitting on my garage floor, on wooden blocks, still attached to the engine hoist. I need to remove the bellhousing and clutch before I can mount it to an engine stand, right?

How to get the bellhousing off? There are 2 bolts on top that are easily accessible, but it appears there are also 2 bolts on the inside, between the bellhousing and the flywheel. One I was able to get to through the opening for the starter motor, the other I can't even see, there is very little clearance, and even if I do manage to blindly get a wrench on it I don't know how I could apply any torque to undo it.

Am I doing something wrong? Is there an easier way? Do I unbolt the clutch first? Am I supposed to make some marks to match up the clutch with the flywheel?

Any insight would be appreciated.

Oh yeah, it's a 2F from an 83 FJ60.

Thanks,

Matt

On my 87' FJ-60 I removed the clutch cover, clutch disk, then flywheel. Then behind the flywheel are the other bolts that will free your bellhousing. I think this will solve your problem.

Andrew is correct, you have to take the clutch and flywheel off first, and then can get to them bolts.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom