Duffel bag for miscellaneous gear (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have my dedicated camping gear in portable storage boxes but need a durable duffel bag for other random stuff that I might grab to go on a specific trip. I used to use one of these Bass Pro 'boat bags' but that is where I store fishing/boating gear so it is a hassle to empty the bag out, then re-pack it after my trip is over. In general though it has the features I like in terms of being a big, roomy single compartment bag that is durable, weather resistant and has a waterproof bottom. I have the 24" and a 30" models, probably looking for a 24" for my new bag. I may just get another one of these but admit frankly that I hate taking garrish colors on backwoods trips. Just clashes with that woodsy experience, y'know?

19EBV7ll.png

Started shopping and found a zillion bags, most really pricey stuff like North Face and similar brands where I'm just not sure the value is there. Anybody have a bag they really like that is a good value? I'm hoping to find something that will get used on camping trips as well as other getaways like beach trips and such as I tend to take a lot of gear/toys :grinpimp:

I have my dedicated camping gear in portable storage boxes but need a durable duffel bag for other random stuff that I might grab to go on a specific trip. I used to use one of these Bass Pro 'boat bags' but that is where I store fishing/boating gear so it is a hassle to empty the bag out, then re-pack it after my trip is over. In general though it has the features I like in terms of being a big, roomy single compartment bag that is durable, weather resistant and has a waterproof bottom. I have the 24" and a 30" models, probably looking for a 24" for my new bag. I may just get another one of these but admit frankly that I hate taking garrish colors on backwoods trips. Just clashes with that woodsy experience, y'know?

19EBV7ll.png

Started shopping and found a zillion bags, most really pricey stuff like North Face and similar brands where I'm just not sure the value is there. Anybody have a bag they really like that is a good value? I'm hoping to find something that will get used on camping trips as well as other getaways like beach trips and such as I tend to take a lot of gear/toys :grinpimp:
I have two of the North Face duffel bags, for about ten years now. I’ve beat the crap out of them and they’re still basically like new. Yes, they’re a bit spendy, but the investment has paid off for me. Good luck in your search!

I search for the north face bags on Craigslist.

It's hard to find quality inexpensive bags out there but you could go with the REI Co-Op brand bags or Lands End duffel bags but overall the most rugged, high quality bags I own are the NF Base Camp duffels. Like @Tommy Dwyer had mine for years, tossed them in the dirt, back of my 200, and checked them as luggage, and they're pretty much bulletproof. If you want for the REI 20% off sale you can save a few bucks.

Also chiming in for TNF duffles. I can see why the guys above speak highly. I haven’t used mine nearly as long as them but it’s been great so far. I had it on the roof from Colorado to Maryland last year on a road trip and although not water proof, it still held up really well. Check to see if any of the outlets near you have a TNF store. I got a killer deal on two additional ones a few months ago.

My TNF bag got torn by the luggage machines at the airport. They replaced it. I really like my Eagle Creek 120L and the Patagonia Black Hole. They are both pricey even when on sale. Have you tried a surplus store in your area? Mine do not carry anything that is water proof but maybe up there it is different.

BAD bags are fantastic but not waterproof. You may want to check bags used to organize professional photography gear as well.

I bought two of THESE for $28.99 ea in zinc 2018.

They are easy to load/access and are water resistant/proof.

I tried to buy two more a couple of weeks later and they were $68.99 ea.

Now $74.95 ea... maybe they’ll have another yuge discount... :bang:

Patagonia Duffel bags. Like everything else they make, they are bullet-proof, backed by Patagonia life-time iron-clad guarantee, and made to be repairable. They cost more than others but not expensive for the quality.

Interested to see where this goes.
I have a north face bag I've had about 15yrs and it's bombproof but a bit big for my needs.
Also have a Patagonia bag that's great, simple and solid, but not keen on the newer versions

Interested to see where this goes.
I have a north face bag I've had about 15yrs and it's bombproof but a bit big for my needs.
Also have a Patagonia bag that's great, simple and solid, but not keen on the newer versions
Same here. I have a couple of cheap duffels i use, one of which is perfect for my needs, but is now literally falling apart and I haven't found a comparable replacement yet. And I'm pretty picky.

I recently picked up a Marmot duffel bag. My only complaint is that it incorporates the backpack straps into the over the shoulder/hand straps. I am very happy with the bag though, it is the 75L version. Heavy duty materials and zips, excellent top load WIDE opening for access plus several side compartments and such. We have a Patagonia Black hole duffel too, the Marmot has better access to main compartment.

IMG_20190806_073217.jpg

IMG_20190806_073200.jpg

IMG_20190806_073145.jpg

Looks like the RTIC guys have made a knock off that’s a cross between TNF and Yeti. Price seems reasonable, and good reviews. Not TNF prices....but not cheap either....

Looks like the RTIC guys have made a knock off that’s a cross between TNF and Yeti. Price seems reasonable, and good reviews. Not TNF prices....but not cheap either....

I like that RTIC need to add a disclaimer: "Please Note: This is not a cooler."

I like the look of the RTIC. I have 2 Black Holes, 1 Base Camp and 1 Eagle Creek 120l Cargo Hauler. I just don't like the stiffness of the Base Camp and the fact it punctures fairly easy. The side pocket is nice. The Eagle Creek is awesome but I have only had it on a few trips. It is super lightweight and folds up well. Time will tell how it holds up. Supposedly it has a "no matter what" warranty, so if there are any issues I will return it.

I have a Patagonia Black Hole Bag, but I also have two Watershed Colorado bags that I prefer. You can find deals on their bags from other retailers.Watershed

I have been very happy with my rtic duffel. But Kuiu just release their Taku bags which look legit.

I have two of the North Face duffel bags, for about ten years now. I’ve beat the crap out of them and they’re still basically like new. Yes, they’re a bit spendy, but the investment has paid off for me. Good luck in your search!

I've been using the North Face bags for 15 years. I have two. My oldest has flown to Asia and back 6 times, used for multi-month trips and is still going strong. I've had them sitting in torrential rain and still be dry inside. Spendy? Yes, but they will last you a long time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom