Dueler Revo AT tires replacing LTX? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi guys -

I'm not sure if I should dig up one of the many old tires threads or start a new one... I guess I'm doing the later as this is a real specific question.

I'm replacing my on-road tire set which are currently the LTX tires. I do have a set of MTRs for off-roading and they are great for their purpose and I have my set of LTX tires on-road everyday driving.

I don't really need AT or any off-road ability on this set and my main requirements are good safe driving around town and highway. Living in the Pac West coast, good performance in wet and snow conditions is important as well.

I know in winter conditions it would be best to have a good ice radial but I just can't have 3 sets of tires. So I need resonable performance in snow (going skiing ect) and quiet on the highway.

After reading many threads on mud and the recommendations of others (including Doug), I'm thinking the Dueler Revo AT tire is the way to go.

My concern is that since I don't really need AT performance off road, is this tire going to do better in the snow & winter conditions than the LTX? Are these tires going to be noiser than the LTX?

Before I spend a chunk of change, I thought I'd make 100% sure on this one.

Thanks

Bridgestone Dueler A/T Revo

Last edited:
I can't speak of winter performance, but they are noisier than LTX/MS. Nothing like mud tires, and quieter than BFG AT. Not bad at all, IMHO.

Lots of info on this tire if you search for it, but I can speak specifically to the winter use of this tire.

Last winter we had lots of snow here in Portland (for the PNW) and they did great. I drove around all winter with snow as deep as three feet deep in the drifts along the side of the road and never had any issues. Great grip in the snow and mild ice, great braking in the snow (if you drive like you're supposed to), and they clean out great when you hit dry pavement.

I love these tires. Great all around performance, even if you aren't wheeling.

I cant speak of winter performance, but I can on the Revo's. I have used many sets of Bridgestone Duelers with great success but the latest version of Revo's had very poor tire wear. I put a set on my wifes fj and talk a friend into doing the same. Traded the brand new factory tires in at purchase of the trucks. My does a lot of city driving, nothing off road and we know FJ's are light. They were to worn out to start the winter season with only 39k on them. My buddy has a 100 mile commute to work 2 days a week, so lots of highway miles. He made 43, but his looked like mine did at the 39 mark. I could have gone a few more thousand if I wasnt worried about snow. I put a set on my new Tundra, and I have a 220 mile commute 2 - 3 days a week put 38k on my truck in the first year, with a couple of trips to long distance events pulling my landcruiser on a trailer. Mine were gone.

Case I am making is the Revo's wear a lot faster than just the duelers do. Less than 40k is very poor mileage for such a tame tire. I have now switched to NITTO. Cheaper and so far the wear looks a lot better

Surprised to hear about Revo's wearing quickly. I have owned several sets, and always got 50K + out of them. Maybe the tread is softer now:meh:

Check out the Nitto Terra Grapplers before you make your decision. These tires have excellent road manners and give a smooth ride....great for a daily driver. Also, I have been extremely impressed how well these tires perform in the snow.

I would think an A/T tire would perform better than an all season tire in the snow...

The Michelin LTX is a quiet, nice riding road tire, and the updated version of it is the Cross Terrain. The CT in instrumented testing outperformed the LTX in wet and snow and is quieter. I have sensitive hearing and the Revos I put on both 80s a few years ago are getting loud. In fact, the set on my 80 have twice what the set on the other 80 have and are notably louder. This tells me they're both going to get louder yet and I'm not very happy about it. They also made the ride on both trucks a bit more jiggly and bouncy on the freeway. These latter issues are nits for a tire that's heavier than the stock LTX, but I may switch back to Michelin next time if nothing better turns up simply because they're basically used as DD's these days and I have winter rubber. If I'd done more wheeling I would doubtless have been more happy with the Revo, which impressed during the first half of their lives.

DougM

In my experience, the Revos suck in slippery conditions. I was very dissatisfied with them.

Thanks Guys -

I'll check out the Cross Terrain. That sounds what I'm looking for (highway tire). I've got off-road already covered so I'd like to optimize for on-road manners, quiet, wet and winter conditions.

Well in searching for LTX's for my wifes 470, the tire dealer near me had a set of revo's a customer ordered and didn't take...$575 out the door. So far so good. We have had them for about a month, they are noiser than the LTX's (not much). Handled well on a long trip (atlanta to Navarre beach FL)...went through a pretty big storm near the beach and they felt very stable going through standing water on the road. Seem to make her truck fill tighter, may just be new vs old not due to brand change.

I have run both on my 1/2 ton 4x4 silverado. The LTX is quiet and smoother.Both good in rain. SURPRISED with the REVO,s at tread. Both sink in Florida sugar sand. Usually 50k on the LTX,s. To early to tell on the REVO AT,s.Six K and no signs of wear yet even though I drive it like a PORSCHE! cannot say about snow.:meh:

I've had the Revo's for 40k+ miles now. Good on road, good in wet, good in slush and powder on the road. Lousy in icy conditions or when the snow is real cold. Lousy in mud. They get slippery fast and stay that way. Good in rough terrain, rocks, gravel, loose stuff. I have liked the on road manners, but they are starting to get noisier as they wear. I'm guessing I have another 10-15k on them before they hit the wear bars, but I'm not sure I trust them through another winter and I'd like to go back to quieter tires. We go offroad 4 or 5 times a year (2WD roads don't count) and beat the tar out of the truck when we do, the rest of the time it's the grocery getter.

For mainly on-road I liked my REVOs. They handle well and I could take corners/off-ramps at a good speed on them even with 2.5" OME lift. On slippery rocks they did poorly vs. any MT tire.

If you mainly drive on the street and see mild to medium off-road activities they'll be fine. I had 30K miles on mine and there was plenty of tread left. I got a flat once.... in the city parking with a piece of metal sticking out from the curb that ripped a huge hole in the sidewall.

I cant speak of winter performance, but I can on the Revo's. I have used many sets of Bridgestone Duelers with great success but the latest version of Revo's had very poor tire wear. I put a set on my wifes fj and talk a friend into doing the same. Traded the brand new factory tires in at purchase of the trucks. My does a lot of city driving, nothing off road and we know FJ's are light. They were to worn out to start the winter season with only 39k on them. My buddy has a 100 mile commute to work 2 days a week, so lots of highway miles. He made 43, but his looked like mine did at the 39 mark. I could have gone a few more thousand if I wasnt worried about snow. I put a set on my new Tundra, and I have a 220 mile commute 2 - 3 days a week put 38k on my truck in the first year, with a couple of trips to long distance events pulling my landcruiser on a trailer. Mine were gone.

Case I am making is the Revo's wear a lot faster than just the duelers do. Less than 40k is very poor mileage for such a tame tire. I have now switched to NITTO. Cheaper and so far the wear looks a lot better

I got over 60K with them - they still had ~ 30% tread when I bought a new set of them. If you only got 39K then they are a different tire than what I got. Excellent tire on my truck.

Another Tire Option

If you are looking for a great road-biased tire for wet and snow performance, check out the Goodyear Wrangler Silent Armor. This tire is Mountain Snowflake Symbol rated (unlike the Dueler) and is a little less aggressive overall than an A/T.

I had the Revo's your considering on a '97 4WD 4Runner. Bought them new to replace the Michelins that were on it (Not LTX). Not a whole lot of the white stuff here in central Arkansas, but we do get a good blast once or twice a year. Right after we got the Revos the :princess: (with our then 6 month old) was driving cirlcles (literally) around most everyone else with them during rush hour after 5 inches had fallen--even down hilly roads that had been closed off by the LRPD. They gave her a lot of confidence. She was so impressed with them that she wants them on her GX470 when the current set is shot. We got 60K miles out of that set with no problems and when we took them off, they still had several thousand miles left in them for sure. They also performed great in the sloppy stuff at deer camp and in wet conditions on the street. Very positive exerience with them overall. Man I miss that 4Runner..... My2cents.

Thanks,
JWP

I put Revos on my Explorer to replace the CrossTerrains. Also had CrossTerrains on a Pathfinder. My Explorer doesn't do off road - just occaisional dirt and gravel. I really didn't need an AT tire, but I bought them because of the good reviews.

Overall, I was a little disappointed. I'm not saying they are a bad tire, but I expected more given the price and reviews.

I have not been happy with their performance in snow. I wouldn't call it terrible, but I certainly would not call it good. They are noticeably louder than the CrossTerrains. Not too bad for an AT tire, but they have gotten even louder as they wear.

I might get 40K out of mine. Not terrible, but not great.

When I needed tires for my 60, I decided to try out the GY Wrangler Silent Armors. I generally am not a fan of GY tires, but wanted to try something different since the Revos didn't "wow" me. Didn't put a whole lot of miles on the Silent Armors before I sold the 60, but liked the tires in my limited experience with them, including a few days in the snow.

Overall, I wouldn't get them again in a situation where I didn't really need an At tire (i.e. grocery getter SUV). If I ever do need AT tires again, I would consider them but probably would opt for the Silent Armors or maybe try the Firestone Destination ATs as those a relatively cheap and seem to get good reviews. I just wasn't impressed with them enough to think they are the end-all, be-all AT tire. I definitely wouldn't call them a poor tire by any stretch, but I am surprised by all the rave reviews. I suppose it's different expectations, different conditions, different vehicles.

I replaced the factory original LTX's on my '97 when I purchased it used several years ago. It had 116k Km's on it at the time and I put new LTX's on then .... now I have just turned 274k Km's or another 158k Km's since replacement - about 94,000 miles!

I just went in and ordered another set of LTX's - the old ones aren't down to the "bar" yet but .... planning a long trip so would rather be safe than sorry. They aren't cheap - but I figure the "cost per mile" is a steal.

Hard to beat a tire that runs over 90k miles on a fulltime 4wd vehicle.

I’ve had 3 sets of LTX’s for my 93 got about 50K each set. I’m always amazed by the folks who claim 90K+ for these. Balance and rotate and most driving is above 7,000 in the cool mountains.

Recently got a set of Revo’s. Took my teenage son shopping or should I say he took me with. Ended up getting the LT285/75R16 instead of the stock P265’s. Gave the car a nice 1 inch lift. Also this tire is a truck tire with two additional steel layers in the sidewall and 16/32 of tread depth instead of passenger 11 of 12/16’s. No warranty though, so I got the all hazards from firestone dealer. Larger size REVO's got about the same fuel mileage maybe even a little better as passenger LTX.

Not sure if folks are talking the passenger or the truck REVO. Not finding much noise difference between LTX but the bigger stiffer truck REVO helps handling and absorbs road shock better. Had tires through last winter and we had 400 inches+ of powder snow, handled like a champ both snow and ice but I drive conservatively. Just got back from the 4WD roads in the San Juan Mountains in southwest Colorado. Tires were nice and sticky on those “rocky mountains”. Sometimes a little too much as if I wanted to do a controlled slide around a bottom ripper they hardly budged. Would not take stock LTX’s on those "off" roads. On the other hand I’ve heard REVO’s wear fast in hot highway climates like Arizona.

Bottom line loves the LT285 Revo for in town, winter, and off road. Teenager also loves the looks.

Recently bought a new set of Michelin Hydroedge for my other car with “Green X” low rolling resistance tires, I’m getting 5 – 7 % better gas mileage on those than the Goodyear Triple Treads they replaced. When I was doing research on those saw that a Green X LTX was due in the fall, somewhere. When I went on line to check specks of the REVO saw a 8/14/09 press release for the new REVO 2 at Brdigestone.com.

Don’t know much about these “new” tires. Maybe the thread should be renamed LTX Green X or REVO 2’s.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom