dual or single steering stabalizers? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
my single steering stabalizer on my 74 FJ40 is very old and junky. I have a rig that likes to wander on the road, over size 33" tires, 5" shackles, etc and was wondering your opinions of a single or dual steering stabalizer setup if I am going to get one?

Verify your castor angle for starters. When lifted springs and longer shackles are installed, this can lead to a castor angle being out of spec, and wandering issues, as would loose steering components, and knuckle bearing pre-load being too loose.

Steering stabilizers are band-aids.

This topic has been covered out here MANY, MANY times.

Good luck!

yep, I understand all of that as you helped address my 'wandering' issues months ago.

nevertheless, my question still stands that - if I am GOING to get one to replace the one that is rusted and falling apart, dented - do I get a single or double and any reason why.

I did a little Google research and found some topics that talk about that unless you have HUGE tires (over 35"), a dual stabalizers is pretty unneeded and mostly for show. Most people who tired them did not like and went bacl to a su=ingle as they reported being overly sluggish at times.

Last edited:
save your money and go single, dual is a waist of time, as stated unless you have really big tires. i was always told 39 to 40 inch tires. i run 35's with single and no problem and also have your toe-in checked. mine wandered until i had it checked even after i rebuilt the front end.

one.

two

one

i dont even have one.

mine did the same thing. it would follow the ruts all over the place and quit scary to drive, rebuilt the knuckles and replaced some bearings (and a ps conversion) and now she glorious.

With PS: none

Without PS: one

If your 74 has no PS then I'd say to remove the stocker and install an aftermarket one on the tie rod that's a bit bigger and has a bigger range of damping. The one that's on the the frame to center arm seems like it wouldn't have as much travel (damping) as the aftermarket one for the same amount of wheel travel. Confused?

Ran 35s without a damper for a couple years, only wished I had one a couple times when the wheel spun and knocked my knuckles while off roading. Couldn't have cared if I had one or not for on road driving.

Now my PS converted 40 has the stock one and aftermarket one which is overkill but I'll get around to removing it someday.

if you have to ask get two, if properly set up the suspension you dont need one. I dont have one and all is good. Think of it like an FJ is one is good two is better :D

I only have one and when I redid my TREs and put on a fresh stabilizer it cleaned the steering RIGHT up! Was only $45 from Checker(CSK). I'm sure someone carries something better than mine but it did help the jumpyness at higher speeds. It seems to only help above about 20MPH...otherwise it makes it a lil harder to steer. so my answer:

ONE!

I ran a pair Rancho 9000s back to back on one of my rigs for a while. Unlike stabilizers, these shocks have different damping rates on compresion and rebound. That was the reason for two.

They weren't necessary and I removed them anyway to make room for hydraulic rams.

Run a single if you feel the need for a stabilizer.

Mark...

gonna do a single.

BTW, when measuring the steering stabalizer compressed and extended on my rig, I notice that the steering stabalizer mount nearest the drivers side wheel (held around the axel with 2 giant u bolts) is really loose. is this supose to be the case to give the bracket/stabzliaer the ability to float up and down a bit on the axel as you turn, or is it supose to be bolted solid tight? seemed odd to me.

i would'nt run one. but if you do, make sure it's mounted up as high as possible so there's no chance of a rock denting it. the obvious problems would ensue.....

orangefj45 said:
i would'nt run one. but if you do, make sure it's mounted up as high as possible so there's no chance of a rock denting it. the obvious problems would ensue.....

current one is mounted high and otu of the way (no dents on it), but the mount is loose (see above) is that normal or is it to be bolted down tight?

Don't quite understand this as my stock LC came with a stabilizer & mounts from the factory. Maybe it has to do with how the steering wheel reacts to hitting bumps on turns, then unloading (?)

If I were you I'd use 3 :rolleyes:

LC_Hamma said:

Don't quite understand this as my stock LC came with a stabilizer & mounts from the factory. Maybe it has to do with how the steering wheel reacts to hitting bumps on turns, then unloading (?)
helps if you're a puny little girly man (keeps steering straighter over bumps and at high speeds

i had a single , bought a double when i went to 38.5's swampers ,did not notice any difference between a double or a single . would go for the single , i still am using the double tho , i paid for it, will use it till i destroy it .

If you get one make sure that it is chrome, those work better ;)

Mace said:
If you get one make sure that it is chrome, those work better ;)

chrome.... I went bling and got gold with diamond dust glitter.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom