dual fuel propane conversion (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I've read every post on LPG conversions, and I saw a lot of advise. What I want to know is, who has done it, how was it done, and where do I go to get all the stuff I need to convert my '76 FJ40 (stock 2F motor) to dual fuel? I saw a yellow Troopy for sale that was just sold that had a dual fuel conversion done. Very nice. Any help here? Pictures would be helpful too if anyone has them. I just need a point in the right direction!!!:steer:

I've read every post on LPG conversions, and I saw a lot of advise. What I want to know is, who has done it, how was it done, and where do I go to get all the stuff I need to convert my '76 FJ40 (stock 2F motor) to dual fuel? I saw a yellow Troopy for sale that was just sold that had a dual fuel conversion done. Very nice. Any help here? Pictures would be helpful too if anyone has them. I just need a point in the right direction!!!:steer:

Welcome!:cheers:

IIRC, if it needs to pass emissions, there is no "approved" conversion for a FJ40, so nonstarter. There is zero logic to it, a propane conversion will run much cleaner, but it has nothing to do with clean air, all about "approvals".

Locally the guy to talk to is Cory at Got Propane, wealth of info, but if it needs to be street legal, he likely wont help? Doing the conversion yourself is pretty easy, the parts are readily available, usually from forklift sources.

IMHO, wouldn't do a dual fuel, too many compromises. The tuning needs for gas and propane are way different, so to make the motor run acceptably on gas, it will run poorly on propane. A full propane rig can run way sweet, clean setup.

Thanks for the info, I was wondering if I would have to change the advance curve on the distributor, thinking that if I switched over from gas to LPG, I would have to advance the timing and possibly remove the vacuum advance. I have a '93 Dodge Ramcharger, former TX state govt. vehicle and it runs on dual fuel, but I think it also has two ECU's, one for each type of fuel. When I flip the switch, it also automatically goes to the proper ECU for the fuel I choose.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom