Dual Fuel Filter for FJ40 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I plan to install a 2nd Fuel Filter in my 1974 FJ40 to make sure no dirt, rust or any contaminant element from my rusted tank reach the carburator. Would you guys recommend me pushing thru with this plan? Will it not add more work to the Fuel Pump? Would appreciate your thoughts. Thank you in advance.

When I was guiding in Mexico and occasionally refueling from 50-gallon drums in remote villages, I installed a Racor filter/water separator in my 40. It's worked like a charm ever since, and I think is a better alternative to a double filter system.

When I was guiding in Mexico and occasionally refueling from 50-gallon drums in remote villages, I installed a Racor filter/water separator in my 40. It's worked like a charm ever since, and I think is a better alternative to a double filter system.
Thank you @Jonathan Hanson . I'll try to check that out in the web and find out if that's possible.

If you clean the tank with a gas tank sealing system and do it correctly, it removes the majority of the rust. Then you seal the inside of the tank which eliminates the ability of any remaining rust from entering the fuel system. Using an oem filter, like the replaceable cartridge style is your best option, once the fuel passes through the first element, it will be clean. Passing through a secondary element/filter will not make the fuel any cleaner as the second element will be identical to the first and will pass the same size particles as the first. So redundant overkill.
If you are really worried about the existing tank rust, then get a new tank. They are available from toyota.

If you clean the tank with a gas tank sealing system and do it correctly, it removes the majority of the rust. Then you seal the inside of the tank which eliminates the ability of any remaining rust from entering the fuel system. Using an oem filter, like the replaceable cartridge style is your best option, once the fuel passes through the first element, it will be clean. Passing through a secondary element/filter will not make the fuel any cleaner as the second element will be identical to the first and will pass the same size particles as the first. So redundant overkill.
If you are really worried about the existing tank rust, then get a new tank. They are available from toyota.
Thanks a lot @SlapSmak . Truly appreciate this. Very sound input. Will try to research more about Gas Tank Sealing System.

No research required. Sometimes on amazon for a little less.

I plan to install a 2nd Fuel Filter in my 1974 FJ40 to make sure no dirt, rust or any contaminant element from my rusted tank reach the carburator. Would you guys recommend me pushing thru with this plan? Will it not add more work to the Fuel Pump? Would appreciate your thoughts. Thank you in advance.

a PRE Filter and a main one are TEXT book in my Teq WOLD

providing you ONLY use
this exact translucent visually inspectable one 24/7 ......

only way i roll

at oil change time i replace BOTH , i replace the first primary one as needed ...............

your on the right path , STAY ON COURSE

age , time , etc , ethonal trash new fuels are all reasons i went outside the Teq BOX fsm persoanlly and subcribe to my doctrine above ........

i ask one simple question :

is there any LIGIT reason NOT to do a 2 pre filter oem only parts set up ?

Heck NO !

better safe then sorry , in my JIS world

i insatll the main one close to the pump

the pre-one down along frame rail for easy swap out access ..........fyi

DSCN0676_8a3c3709-7554-46cf-80ea-3fba856875a6_2048x.jpg

image11111111111_2048x.jpg

20200829_104024_2048x.jpg

B2F36664-F5F9-480C-9D5D-51B78F0332E5_2048x.jpg

DSCN9987_ef87755c-2c77-478e-9635-07142d053f80_2048x.JPG

DSCN9989_1b570a48-6669-48f2-8532-440715b5c705_2048x.JPG

DSCN0677_2048x.jpg

DSCN0678_2048x.jpg

a PRE Filter and a main one are TEXT book in my Teq WOLD

providing you ONLY use
this exact translucent visually inspectable one 24/7 ......

only way i roll

at oil change time i replace BOTH , i replace the first primary one as needed ...............

your on the right path , STAY ON COURSE

age , time , etc , ethonal trash new fuels are all reasons i went outside the Teq BOX fsm persoanlly and subcribe to my doctrine above ........

i ask one simple question :

is there any LIGIT reason NOT to do a 2 pre filter oem only parts set up ?

Heck NO !

better safe then sorry , in my JIS world

i insatll the main one close to the pump

the pre-one down along frame rail for easy swap out access ..........fyi

DSCN0676_8a3c3709-7554-46cf-80ea-3fba856875a6_2048x.jpg

image11111111111_2048x.jpg

20200829_104024_2048x.jpg

B2F36664-F5F9-480C-9D5D-51B78F0332E5_2048x.jpg

DSCN9987_ef87755c-2c77-478e-9635-07142d053f80_2048x.JPG

DSCN9989_1b570a48-6669-48f2-8532-440715b5c705_2048x.JPG

DSCN0677_2048x.jpg

DSCN0678_2048x.jpg
Thanks @ToyotaMatt. Appreciate your input.

My truck sat for several years and upon start up immediately filled up a filter with rust particles. I went the two filter route figuring after a few filter swap outs it would clear up and I've had no problems since. Here's a picture of mine.

20200406_210452.jpg

O’Reilly Auto Parts store brand. Even come with the spring clamps and short hose pieces for like $4

Thanks a lot @SlapSmak . Truly appreciate this. Very sound input. Will try to research more about Gas Tank Sealing System.

where i like the very KLEAR look of the aftermarket made in CHINA filters , ...

OEM made in japan Toyota genuine parts filter media is thge BEST option on the planet

if anyone can PROVE differently based on SOLID tech , please chime is ?

also , the CLEAR plastic on the china filters is NOT UV rated in any way shape or form

it is many times THINNER in thickness too

i have seen these , i indeed love clear plastics idea , honest

but .......

the Science and Teq JIS FACTS do not lie

like i mention

PROVE the TOYOTA filter 2dnd rate in any way shape or form ?

i cannot be done ............

if it can ?

i will be very surprised and not aware of such a science topic anywhere gloabbly

KYOSAN is #1 globally BOTTOM LINE ...

FACT ;

- KYOSAN / DENKI has been the ONLY toyota OEM Carburetor fuel filters and oem Mechanical fuel pumps OEM parts maker jaapn , sourced parts 100% solid since prior to WWII in the 1930's to PRESENT day 2021

- from FJ25 Siamese F day one 1953 till FJ62 NON USA 3F carbureted 1991 and beyond ........

- there IS a reason for that time line and toyota uses them exclusively 100% in the tech topics above

-this is a concrete fact i will back up with verifiable facts and links here if anyone has a Shadow of any doubts

so ,

all that 411

- what fuel filter do u want keeping things real under the hood of your VINTAGE TOYOTA Vehical Platform no matter the Model year car or truck or land cruiser ?

- ponder this and then your thoughts please .........

i only know all this because i was taught formally at 4 years of T-TEN Program all the Engineering tech spec data etc ......

its a no brainer when something simply NEVER fails after almost a CENTERY / 100 years of use .......... 🤔

imagesffff.png

imageskkk.jpg

imageskyosanplain.jpg

imagesnewkyosan.jpg

indexkyosan - Copy.jpg

kyosan - Copy.jpg

kyosan.png

kyosan2.jpg

C2FAE7D8-C383-4962-AC44-D3AD0A51A19D - Copy.jpg

(.12) - Copy.jpeg

FWIW I was only using these until they stopped filling up, hence saving my oem

your tech is sound 100%

i only suggest using 2 oem ones instead of one , :)

i have seen the clear ones melt , leak and fail over a long term use stand alone , i should have made mention of this also above so here it is ...too

i tried one once because of the clear see all benefit

it quickly clouded up and got foggy from the inside and NOT from moisture ?

i cant explain that particular cause except it was a .99 cent track autos made in chine Purolator total clear one similar to above ?

i cut it apart it was NOT any moisture what so ever , it was the clear plastics it self changing physically from the inside in short term use maybe from UV rays but not sure ?

, again unknown reason why ?

does anyone know why this could of took place ?

using reg gas NO additives of any kind to be clear ?

thanks

where i like the very KLEAR look of the aftermarket made in CHINA filters , ...

OEM made in japan Toyota genuine parts filter media is thge BEST option on the planet

if anyone can PROVE differently based on SOLID tech , please chime is ?

also , the CLEAR plastic on the china filters is NOT UV rated in any way shape or form

it is many times THINNER in thickness too

i have seen these , i indeed love clear plastics idea , honest

but .......

the Science and Teq JIS FACTS do not lie

like i mention

PROVE the TOYOTA filter 2dnd rate in any way shape or form ?

i cannot be done ............

if it can ?

i will be very surprised and not aware of such a science topic anywhere gloabbly

KYOSAN is #1 globally BOTTOM LINE ...

FACT ;

- KYOSAN / DENKI has been the ONLY toyota OEM Carburetor fuel filters and oem Mechanical fuel pumps OEM parts maker jaapn , sourced parts 100% solid since prior to WWII in the 1930's to PRESENT day 2021

- from FJ25 Siamese F day one 1953 till FJ62 NON USA 3F carbureted 1991 and beyond ........

- there IS a reason for that time line and toyota uses them exclusively 100% in the tech topics above

-this is a concrete fact i will back up with verifiable facts and links here if anyone has a Shadow of any doubts

so ,

all that 411

- what fuel filter do u want keeping things real under the hood of your VINTAGE TOYOTA Vehical Platform no matter the Model year car or truck or land cruiser ?

- ponder this and then your thoughts please .........

i only know all this because i was taught formally at 4 years of T-TEN Program all the Engineering tech spec data etc ......

its a no brainer when something simply NEVER fails after almost a CENTERY / 100 years of use .......... 🤔

View attachment 2826478
Thanks again Matt. Appreciate your tech inputs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom