dual cases, slit cases, twin sticks, crawler boxes... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.trailaddict.com
OK... I'm waaaay out of my league here - hoping you guys can help me get this stuff squared away.

I'm considering buying an FJ40, and first on my list of mods would be lower gears (assuming it still had a manual tranny in it). I've been doing a lot of reading lately to try and get a handle on what my options are, and what the positives/negatives are of each. Every time I think I know what I'm talking about, I realize I'm just more confused than before.

I want lower gears for 2 reasons. First, the control (duh). Second, so I'm not fighting with the clutch all the time. I'm used to wheeling an auto, and I like the auto on the trail, so I'd like low enough gears so I can pretty much put it in low and forget about it.

So here's what I think I know:
- Marlin's Toybox: essentially a second transfer case, allows for low/low gearing, and should be invisible on the road to and from the trail. Install is very invloved.
- AA atlas II case: basically replaces the stock tcase (I think) with a much lower first gear. Install should be pretty straight forward, right... replacing old gear with new gear that should more or less swap in. I've read that some people had issues with this setup...

I've read about people running dual cases - I assume this is you would call the a setup using the stock tcase and a Toybox???

When people say they are running a split case or twin sticks, what are they referring to?

I've got 100 other questions, but I think I'll stop there for this thread.

I too am interested to hear the answers from everyone! Twin stick is just the ability to put your truck into 2 lo in addition to 2hi, 4hi, and 4lo. You can do it without twin stick if you grind the shift gate off of the tranny which many have done. Twin stick allows you to do it with a stick for 2 or 4wd, and the second stick for hi/lo. HTH.

Marlins Toybox is a double transfer case setup....your existing tranny, an adapter, the low-range portion of a Toyota minitruck transfer case, another adapter, your existing transfercase, and driveshaft modifications. IIRC, it's about 7" in total length... 2.4:1 in the toybox, 1.99:1 in the stock case.

AA Atlas II is a BAD choice....centered rear output, "requires" a rear axle change...major dollars...

The AA Orion case is a great choice...uses a few pieces from the stock transfer case, replaces the housing, no driveshaft changes, single 4:1 low range, same 1:1 high. Total dollar, it's likely the cheapest and easiest of all the options.

Twin sticks are useless on a Cruiser transfer case....one controls 2wd/4wd, the other high-low...identical operation to the stock single stick, just way more money. Twin sticks installed on a Dana 300 or an Atlas provide the option for front wheel drive only, nice in comp use or hard wheelin, rare to use in normal stuff. Front wheel drive is physically impossible in a Cruiser case because of it's design.

Split cases are the common name to those installed in later FJ40's (ie: 1981+) and in the FJ60/62 trucks. Stronger than the FJ40 case, similar low ranges.

with an atlas you need a new rear end, twin stick is pointless on a cruiser case you cant do a rear disconect and dig, im running dual cases a toybox and marlin transfer case gears

well that answers the twin stick,,,

you got marlin right on,,
AA has/had the rocbox, just like toybox but crappy.
i think instead of the atlass II you meant orion?? the latter is the toyota case replacement with 4:1 gears, install is pretty much just like doing a rebuild on your stock case.

dual cases in the cruiser world can be many things, mostly its either marlin, AA or sometimes mini truck cases or 203/205 gm cases.

split case is a 60 series cruiser case.

everything mentioned so far is at and above the 2K mark. for substantially less money alot of folks find a tranny swap alone (sm 420/465) makes for a great trail rig.

i think the important thing to think about is what you want to do with the rig, for a good trail rig the deep gears you typically get with dblrs is not really worth the investment considering for about the same price you can have tranny, locker and lift.

Woody forgot to mention the Orion case is cast steel/iron? and way stouter than the OEM aluminium case.
Twin sticks on a cruiser are an easy way to extend the shift linkage if you do a Toybox. They seve no other purpose in my mind.

wow... thanks guys - great info.

The Toybox is out for me... waaay too involved/expensive for what it accomplishes, for what I plan on doing with the truck.

Twin sticks seems pointless to me, though I certainly don't have any real sercious rock crawling experience, so... Regardless, it's of no value to me.

Split cases probably won't apply to me, as I'm looking for a cruiser in the 74-78 year range.

The orion seems like a good option. Reliable, sturdy, fairly direct swap in... right up my alley. If I do end up looking for lower gears, this seems to make the most sense.

OK, cool... I think I've got that stuff down... suspension I think I'm pretty good with (not used to this straight axle/leaves/shackle stuff, but done a lot of reading). Next up, lockers...

If you buy an Orion ask for the Toy box mod. Even if you don't want a Toy box now it won't hurt.
It allows the Orion case to be used with a toy box. You can see where the toy box shift slider would interfere, the mill a groove in the Orion case.
DryFit2.jpg

It may be standard now but I was told they were making it a different part number.

RHINO said:
for substantially less money alot of folks find a tranny swap alone (sm 420/465) makes for a great trail rig.

i *bought* a fj55 (pick it up tomorrow)... down the road i am going to want better gears... its currently got a 2F/H-41 (i think?) and a 4 spd case....

whats the best way to get a 465 in there? in my mind i would need 2 adapters (roughly 500 a piece, right) 1 for the bell housing, 1 for the t-case...

i gotta plead an ignorant cruiser head on this one since my 2 year project 40 is all chevy... now.

http://www.ih8mud.com
see treerootCO's Orion/SM465 writeup...should answer 99.9% of your questions in there on the SM465 install with a 2F....

rusty_tlc said:
If you buy an Orion ask for the Toy box mod. Even if you don't want a Toy box now it won't hurt.
It allows the Orion case to be used with a toy box. You can see where the toy box shift slider would interfere, the mill a groove in the Orion case.
DryFit2.jpg

It may be standard now but I was told they were making it a different part number.
if not marlin has a bit and jig that bolts on that will bore the case

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom