dual brake calipers? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I will fit (or at least try) another caliper, just it’s a bit of stuffing around to plumb it into the stock brakes if it’s not going to work. Otherwise I’ll just add a hydraulic handbrake... (I need to double check but I think the auto adjustment part of the handbrake actually requires the brakes to be used occasionally with hydraulic fluid).

Scott I know you’re being sarcastic, but a second caliper with inbuilt handbrake bypasses the requirement for the crappy stock handbrake which are a real pain to maintain (and don’t like water/mud). Rather than spending the money/effort to rebuild the drum handbrake I’d rather bolt on a handbrake caliper that actually works.

The braking "massively improved" for multiple reasons least of which would be the changes to the rear brakes. The highest percentage of braking comes from the front. The LSPV in the Land Cruiser by design limits the rear braking pressure so that the rear does not lockup before the front. As weight in the rear increases the pressure is increased to maintain that balance. Removal of the LSVP at the same time increasing rear braking will be problematic unless the fronts are equally/proportional improved.

A six piston front caliper will generally provide better braking because it would be larger, increased piston cross section distributed evenly across the face of the caliper. I'm also sure when you upgraded the calipers in the past you more than likely updated to a better size and style of rotor and different type of pad.

Sorry I might need to explain that better...

My point was switching to larger brakes with more piston area didn’t require a larger master cylinder, partly as I’m guessing say 50psi of force on one square inch would be the same force as 25psi on 2 square inches.

So in the case of adding a caliper to the rear while it won’t be able to apply the same volume/force on the original pads you would be gaining some braking force in the extra caliper (to offset the lost force on the original)

The second point was the LSVB obviously limits fluid to the rear when you’re not carrying any load. So removing this would allow more fluid which might actually work well with an additional caliper.

My aim isn’t to increase performance, my aim is to have a working hand brake. Even if running multiple calipers means I can’t lock up the rear wheels I’m not all that concerned because as you said, the majority of braking is done at the front. Plus as an off road vehicle (not a daily driver) a lot of time will be spent in 4WD where the front brakes will effectively brake the rear tyres.

But yeah, I still want to have some rear brakes... I guess it’s probably worth testing out (I will report back)

...I’m guessing say 50psi of force on one square inch would be the same force as 25psi on 2 square inches.

This is certainly true from a basic theory / physics point of view. No guessing required.
Call it "first order" behavior.
What happens after that in the real world? 2nd order factors? Hard to guess.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom