Dual Batts (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Chuy

07' GX470
Threads
I'm just curious if anyone has any input from AZ. I have been looking a lot online and most people say to go with deep cycle marine batteries from Die Hard and an isolator. I read a huge article from an Optima rep that dual yellow top batteries are the best solution for people running a lot of power wired in parallel. Most people on MUD and expedition seem to be big advocates of the isolator and two deep cycle batteries.

I have an 50qt ARB fridge that lives in the cruiser when I go outdoors. I also want to be able to run my stereo system that powers an amp and one 12" sub for long hours into the night. I guess the real question is should I get dual deep cycle batteries and an isolator or just run dual deep cycle or regular Die Hards Platinum batteries in parallel.

In the past I had dual red tops in my pathfinder and wired them in parallel without any problems whatsoever. I use to run the stereo powering 2 x 12" subs with no problems all night. I even had my alternator die in Baja Mexico once and made it all the way back home on battery power alone.

Currently I just have a die Hard Platinum and it did fine this weekend powering the fridge and running the stock stereo for for an entire night. I also usually carry a jump pack but I am trying to eliminate brining extra gear every trip I make.

Any advice or personal experience would be greatly appreciated. I know in AZ we face crazy heat compared to other parts of the country and normal batteries do not last very long.

:popcorn:

If you dont fully understand the system you are installing you cant trouble shoot it if you have a problem and it becomes worthless.

that is pretty much a universal truism, not specific to batteries ;p

Main reason I run 2 batteries, is if my alternator cable breaks and I don't catch it in time, i'm not going to be able to bump start an FJ62 (happened thats how I know). I wheel alone more than most out of my home area so jumper cables are worthless when no one is around:popcorn:

From what I understand from a few people in CSC, is none of us are drawing enough power even with a fridge to make that reason enough to have dual batteries. I think we call "expoing" "camping" again.:D

I am in the same boat as far as redundancy goes especially with the 80 since like you said it cant be bump started. I do a lot of multi-day camping and off road driving with friends and family in one vehicle. Its part of the reason I bought the cruiser, because I can fit more friends in it. At the end of the day just because the sun goes down doesn't mean the fun stops and its sleepy time. I have had the idea of using the cruiser to run some LED lightning instead of dealing with lanterns anymore. I did notice this weekend that the fridge was running for most of day because it was so hot outside and even hotter inside the cruiser.

I think we call "expoing" "camping" again.:D

I always thought Expoing was just a more specific type of camping mixed with off road driving and not using an RV, camper, or built up campground that has bathrooms and showers. Same way off road driving can be Baja Racing, mudding, rock crawling, etc. It also sounds way cooler than saying I am going camping.

What switch panel are you running and do you have a picture of it mounted up?

image.php

these are the switches - very similar to the Painless dual battery harness I have - I just don't have the second battery yet

I have a couple extra marine switches and solenoids if interested I but enough for 2 systems and went a different route so they have been sitting in my garage for 5 years

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom