dual battery system (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

DSRTRDR

I can mangle anything ...
SILVER Star
Threads
dual battery system - Optima battery types

I did a search but could not find anything toward this:

What's the general opinion about the yellow-top versus red-top Optima batteries? How about using the red as the starter and the yellow as the auxiliary in a dual battery set-up? What's the deal with the deep-cycle yellow versus the dual-purpose yellow? Any suggestions are appreciated. BTW, this is for my '72FJ40 (not my husband's recently drained K5); any tips on mounting trays?

Thanks, Claudia

Last edited:
You should use two batteries of the same type and age. This accomodates the alternator/voltage regulator, which needs to 'see' the battery that requires the charge. Something diffent and you run the risk of undercharging one of the batts and eventually killing it.

The Optima Yellow Top deep draw starting battery is an exceptional piece of gear. I have a pair in my cruiser - the group 31 size. I could weld with these things. Never a problem - great stuff.

For battery trays, check www.stainlesstrays.com/ he makes the finest stainlees battery trays around, and his service is expemplary. I highly reccomend his products. The FJ40 set is $75.

You may want to give quite a bit of thought to how you will set up the dual batteries. There are lots of ways, each with their own advantages and disadvantages. Go to know the details and have a plan before you start acquiring components.

M

thanks Mike,

I was thinking of using the Painless harness. I came across the stainlesstrays and the Man-A-Fre - I wish either of them would give dimensions. What did you move (to where?) to accommodate both batteries?

I have the stainless dual optima FJ40 tray in my '77. Didn't have to move anything, but I have my coil in a non-stock place. Not sure if this matters.

I like the way the gel cells don't get acid mess all over when you're wheeling. Also, I've never had an optima fail, although I did manage to melt one with a fire. It still started the cruiser though for a few weeks until I could afford a new one, just didn't trust the misshapen melted battery.

I have the painless set-up in my 01 Sierra pickup.Optima red top-primary batterey and a marine-blue top for the aux.Works perfect,comes with a toggle switch for the dash to switch three ways-middle setting is like o.e.m,green setting charges both,but only discharges #1(what i normally run)red setting charges both and discharges both(in parallel,I believe)Works great if you run down your batt,you flip to red and viola! your not stuck!F.Y.I-I used a stock o.e.m. Gm aux battery tray(goes on passenger side in front of air conditioner stuff.I reccomend it.

Last edited:
Two yellow tops - the Hellroaring system http://www.hellroaring.com/ - and the www.stainlesstrays.com/ tray Trail tested- flawless - automaticor manual and transparent

Hook everything to the startup battery - winch - engine - starter -accesories - save the second battery for back up in case you draind the primary battery. With the Hellroaring set up - you can manually separate the batteries - switch it to automatic mode where it does it for you - or combine both batteries for access to more amps.

my set up in my 82 fj40, dual Odyseeys 1200's in a modified stock tray..........had to move nothing. Love this set up.

70811393.jpg

Oh and Optimas SUCK! I like the Excide Orbitals, which I run it all my other cruisers

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom