Dual battery, Starter battery wiring question. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm starting on my dual battery setup. Are you guys using the factory clamps and wiring on the main battery or are you using new clamps and wiring?

If you are adding new clamps. Will you be redoing the starter wires and alternator wires. I hope i'm not sounding too confused

On mine, I just upgraded the factory terminals to brass and ran 2Ga. welding cable to the secondary battery and solenoid....

pac500install6.JPG

pac500install7.JPG

pac500install9.JPG

IIRC the main battery positive is not crimped. However what did you do with your ground on the main since they are crimped into the terminal? Looks like you cut it?

Also on the AUX battery looks like you added a chassis ground also? Where did you route it too?

FYI i'm not a newbie to 12V wiring, but im trying to wire my system correctly, clean, simple and not ghetto.

I'm also using :eek: 2/0 welding cable since i got a great deal on it.

Last edited:
I'll try to post some pix of mine later. I just install the Hellroaring BIC. I think the same one as NLXATCY. With this system you leave everything on the primary battery as is. You run a fused lead to the BIC from the secondary battery, a lead from the BIC to the started and a jumper between the two leads on the BIC. I used the ground from a pre-94 80 for the second battery and ran it to the pre-taped hole on the PS of the block.

I used the factory ends for the second battery positive. It requires the end to be terminated and they nutted to the lug.

Thanks for the help guys. I have a bunch of stuff i had ordered over time so. I'm just trying to figure out how to wire everything in with some Blue Sea maxi fuse holders and placement of the charge controller and placement of the wires,ect.

Did any of you guys replace the wires to the starter and any factory chassis/engine grounds while you were at it?

98 Snake Eater, did you route your positive towards the firewall and around the engine compartment? Also which one is your solenoid? Looks like you have 2.

Did any of you guys replace the wires to the starter and any factory chassis/engine grounds while you were at it?

I kept the factory wiring, but added new grounds to the body, chassis and engine :cool:

98 Snake Eater, did you route your positive towards the firewall and around the engine compartment? Also which one is your solenoid? Looks like you have 2.

I routed the positive cable around the front of the radiator, over the secondary battery and looped it around the intake tube back to the solenoid (black cable w/red heat shrink)

pac500install8.JPG

pac500install9.JPG

pac500install5.JPG

I'm using a PAC-500 solenoid...

pac500noid.JPG

pac500noid2.JPG

With a continuous 500amp rating and a 700amp burst, it's more than adequate for winching even if the primary battery were to fail :cool:

What you see in front of the primary battery is actually the solenoid pack for my front winch :)

Nice, that other solenoid was starting to confuse me. Thanks for the great pics also.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom