Dual battery setup OR Photoman bracket (if still available) and Sequoia alternator? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I looked at both buying dual battery kits online and buying the tools to monkey up my own wiring. After talking with @LC4LIFE I bought a custom HuddExpo big kit.

Not as fancy as a Redarc but it’s simple and reliable, and I think the best value on the market.

It's current, Watson!
Current is what makes electric devices function and is the primary cost of electric generation.
As much current that you can store, the more efficient use of the alternator you can make.
OEM alt and multiple batteries will always outmatch higher output alternator with just one battery and make far better use of the fuel consumed in the process. Dual-batts also provide redundancy which scores high on the 'how not to be that guy' scale.

Wow this reminded me about my photoman kit I've had since 2008! fast forward to 2018 when I got the conversion harness.

Got to decide on this mod too. I am running dual X2 power batts with a national luna system. Recently picked up a redcarc BCDC but it doesn't play nice with the national luna kit. I have to rethink my setup as well.

View attachment 2581678
Juan, long time no see! Hope you’re doing good. You can’t run a National Luna smart relay dual battery kit with a DC to DC charger like the Redarc BCDC concurrently. lmk If you need some assistance with the setup.

Got home in time to do 1 of the 3 measurements - Alternator output...

At idle with no accessories running - 19.6A
At 2000rpm with no accessories running - 20.9A

At idle with headlights and blower at max - 47.8A
At 2000rpm with headlights and blower at max - 52.9A

These readings were taken with the 2nd battery disconnected from the system.

For the other measurements I need to swap the other sensors to the -Ve side of the battery - at the moment I have them monitoring specific +ve feeds.

**edited to correct readings to Amps..
Thanks for those stock alternator readouts. That sounds about right with what I have seen also. What I am getting at with the multiple simultaneous amp measurements is to see if the alternator current is keeping up with your battery discharge. It Would be cool to see in the “2000rpm with lights and blower at max” scenario, if you are netting positive or negative and by how much on your start battery. I use a multimeter with clamp ammeter all the time on my truck to see things like this. thanks again

Juan, long time no see! Hope you’re doing good. You can’t run a National Luna smart relay dual battery kit with a DC to DC charger like the Redarc BCDC concurrently. lmk If you need some assistance with the setup.
Cool thanks man!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom