Dual battery set up without using Slee tray? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Does anyone else have a dual battery set up using something other than the Slee tray? I just don’t want to spend $200 on that tray when there are generic options for $20-50. Does anyone know of a thread or have you done that yourself? I’m sure there’s someway to get a generic second battery tray installed where the AHC goes, I just would like to see some examples before I start messing with it, if possible.

I've also looked around off and on. There appear to be a coupe of Australian battery trays that may fit a UZJ100...

The price of the Slee mount isn't bad ~ I just don't care to install an ARB compressor and think I would prefer space for a larger battery.

May just find the most robust looking generic metal base/tray and fab'ing up some legs/braces/brackets.

I've also looked around off and on. There appear to be a coupe of Australian battery trays that may fit a UZJ100...

The price of the Slee mount isn't bad ~ I just don't care to install an ARB compressor and think I would prefer space for a larger battery.

May just find the most robust looking generic metal base/tray and fab'ing up some legs/braces/brackets.

I have the Smitty Bilt compressor and haven’t been able to confirm whether or not I’ll be able to fit it in place of the ARB with the Slee tray. I may just do a second battery in the cab since I plan on doing a lithium auxiliary battery and don’t want it to be exposed to extreme cold temperatures

I have the Smitty Bilt compressor and haven’t been able to confirm whether or not I’ll be able to fit it in place of the ARB with the Slee tray. I may just do a second battery in the cab since I plan on doing a lithium auxiliary battery and don’t want it to be exposed to extreme cold temperatures
If you plan on lithium it can't be in the engine bay anyway, so....

I built my own tray because I wanted it sturdier than the Slee tray, just my OCD, nothing against Slee's.
Angle iron frame under the rear most section that rests on and is bolted thru the existing holes in the fender liner.
Also bolts to two holes in the side fender and one bolt under the wiper motor and one bolt on the power steering res bracket. Tray is formed up and welded 316 stainless steel. I hate corrosion.
I'll check to see if I have any pics sans battery, but I don't think so.

I went this route initially and then gutted most of my center console to install my Lithium EG4 battery.
Instead of a 2nd battery under the hood, I have my air compressor mounted on the tray I made.
This was my inspiration to mix Lithium with SLA:

I went this route initially and then gutted my center console to install my Lithium EG4 battery.
Instead of a 2nd battery under the hood, I have my air compressor mounted on the tray I made.

Looks nice. I think I am going to upgrade my starter battery from group 24 to 31 and put the compressor by the AHC, then just have an auxiliary Lithium battery near the drawer system, since it’s main purpose will be for a refrigerator anyway.

Looks nice. I think I am going to upgrade my starter battery from group 24 to 31 and put the compressor by the AHC, then just have an auxiliary Lithium battery near the drawer system, since it’s main purpose will be for a refrigerator anyway.
I'm also running a Smitty Bilt Compressor
- Power Steering reservoir not yet mounted or secured (temporary zip tie to air box latch)
- tray is supported/leveled using custom length 1/2" PVC as spacers
- 6mm bolt closest to fender has a rivnut I installed in the fender well
- other 3 bolts are longer than stock to accommodate PVC spacers but mounted in same location as PS bracket

1662087806055.png
1662087840371.png

Last edited:
a group 49 will fit (and is what I run as my "main" battery)...my Lithium is on a 100A circuit breaker and doesn't pull more than 100A (engine start is the heaviest draw it sees) and I feed it 2 Gauge over about 12 feet of cable.

Last edited:
a group 49 will fit (and is what I run as my "main" battery)...my Lithium is on a 100A circuit breaker and doesn't pull more than 100A (engine start is the heaviest draw it sees) and I feed it 2 Gauge over about 12 feet of cable.

I like your set up. Do you have a Dc-dc charger between your alternator and lithium battery? Or is that not necessary since these alternators are older and prob don’t vary the voltage?

When I had my 2001 LC (it didn’t have AHC), I made my own battery tray with aluminum sheet (.125). I don’t know how to weld so I wanted something easier to use and I found aluminum to be easy to bend, cut and drill holes with basic garage tools. It was cheaper than Slee but it wasn’t the main reason. Just wanted to create something on my own and modify it as time went. Eventually added compressor. The aluminum was definitely strong enough to handle all the weight and vibrations.

I used cardboard first to make the template for the size, bends and holes. There’s holes already existing in the engine bay where AHC goes so I used bolts and nuts. Never had to drill any new holes.

Really liked having a dual battery system.

Now, I have an LX with AHC which is awesome. So, I haven’t tackled it yet but probably do similar thing with aluminum and place it next to AHC. I’ve seen threads in the forum where folks have moved the brake reservoir and there’s enough cavity space for battery.

4521F8C4-5569-4557-9249-97FAAEA19AD8.jpeg
8E15A9E4-D7AE-4772-A5B7-A5FFCD8F587D.jpeg
B371015A-FF11-4DD0-AD44-947726A64080.jpeg
87DE3131-40D0-4241-90AC-DB920934F2CA.jpeg
BED30F2E-329C-4435-9C53-31DE27902FFD.jpeg

When I had my 2001 LC (it didn’t have AHC), I made my own battery tray with aluminum sheet (.125). I don’t know how to weld so I wanted something easier to use and I found aluminum to be easy to bend, cut and drill holes with basic garage tools. It was cheaper than Slee but it wasn’t the main reason. Just wanted to create something on my own and modify it as time went. Eventually added compressor. The aluminum was definitely strong enough to handle all the weight and vibrations.

I used cardboard first to make the template for the size, bends and holes. There’s holes already existing in the engine bay where AHC goes so I used bolts and nuts. Never had to drill any new holes.

Really liked having a dual battery system.

Now, I have an LX with AHC which is awesome. So, I haven’t tackled it yet but probably do similar thing with aluminum and place it next to AHC. I’ve seen threads in the forum where folks have moved the brake reservoir and there’s enough cavity space for battery.

View attachment 3103908View attachment 3103911View attachment 3103949View attachment 3103950View attachment 3103951

That looks awesome. I didn’t realize you can just cut aluminum with a jig saw. I think this is the route I’ll go for my compressor

I like your set up. Do you have a Dc-dc charger between your alternator and lithium battery? Or is that not necessary since these alternators are older and prob don’t vary the voltage?
no dc to dc charger = I don't feel it is needed
alt-s diode mod (seen in signature) raises voltage appx 0.6 V
250A alternator
Lithium is SUPER efficient and charges up very quick
My experience with Lithium added to SLA matches the YouTube video I posted
I also carry a NOCO jump pack in case the main battery ever goes flat or someone else needs a "jump"

Last edited:
That looks awesome. I didn’t realize you can just cut aluminum with a jig saw. I think this is the route I’ll go for my compressor
I used this to cut angle aluminum and jig saw works too if that's all you have
Can't overstate using cardboard for mock up and test fitting stuff prior to cutting

I made a tray out of the old AHC bracket and some angle iron. It fits a group 49 AGM battery just fine. I actually have more width and length on the tray so I think it would fit a group 31 if it doesn't contact the hood. I also made a bracket out of an old license plate for my battery isolator. lol

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom