Dual Battery Question from a newbie (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I want to get dual bateries to run a accesories-fridge, water pump, whatever-It may be stupid but I was thinking that the easiest thing might be to have the second battery in my drawer system and run a simple 110 charger and inverter to it off my main battery when the car is running to keep it going. Wondered if there would be a problem with this electrically, and if it would work for what reasons would I want to go the other route. Also I don't have a winch and don't plan on one.

well you could use an inverter to power a battery charger but it does not make much sense to do so, not only are there costs in both these devices but there is a big loss in effeciency, converting your 12/14 volts DC into 110 AC and then from 110 AC back into 14 volts DC then store that in a battery is very ineffecient. you could wind up drawing twice or more the power that you are outputing to the fridge etc.

read up on the diffrent systems many threads here. I run a simple constant duty solenoid that parallels the batteies when the alternator is charging.

Also it sounds like your talking about a drawer system in the back of the truck? If so I think the inverter generates a lot of heat that would be working against the air conditioning, if that's a concern.

if your not planning on running a winch look into the Painless kit. its very simple and not that expensive. also get in touch with Cdan about the battery tray for the early 80s. you dont want to deal with a battery in the back really. why work against reasoning? theres space in the engine bay and why run more cables when you dont have to?

good luck
mike

Why not just put a second battery in the other tray and switch them over when needed ?

Kalawang

Jacks - check out the Outfitting section here. There are several threads discussing dual batteries. The main 2 choices are a selenoid based system like Hellroaring and the other an isolator based system. Both systems can run quite well if they are set up correctly. The first 3 times I had someone install a dual battery system in my truck they messed it up. Finally I learned how to do it myself and it worked flawlessly. A late buddy of mine had the hellroaring setup and loved it. It's all about knowing your preferences and exactly what you want to get out of it. Definitely check out the outfitting section here for some good info.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom