Dual Battery Monitor Recommendations + House Battery (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi Everyone - I have a dual battery system and while I have gauges that will let me know volts per battery I was interested in getting a battery monitoring system where I can have a better idea as to the charge status per battery, options for alarm on low charge, etc. A little bit more about my setup - I also have a Overland solar 130 that I have yet to hook up and along with that I thought of getting an additional house battery for the rear of the cruiser managed by a Redarc Manager 30 system. Hooked up to my Aux battery is:

- ARB Intensity Lights
- Baja Designs 40 In Spot/Flood bar on my roof
- Baja Designs Rock lights
- Reverse light LED
- AMP for Kenwood Stereo
- Snomaster 52L fridge freezer
- Twin Air Compressor

Any ideas, recommendations, whats good and what would be a killer do it once set up would be great. Thanks!

Timely thread, since I’m installing a similar system. Please post up some pics of your setup. I haven’t thought about a monitoring system though. Subscribed

if you are going to spend the money for in cab monitoring, I’d go Simarine. @Hyup and @DanMedeiros both have it in their 80s and it is pretty impressive. Maybe they’ll chime in.

I have a simple National Luna dual voltmeter flushed into the shift console and a Blue Sea mini OLED ammeter via 500a shunt on my auxiliary battery mounted in the cigarette lighter spot. It is a quick one second glance down and I can verify my batteries are being charged and at what amount and also how much + or - current is traveling thru my aux battery. I like the colored round leds of the NL. It’s a bit simpler to process vs looking at numbers. 2 green leds, float charge. 4 green leds, absorbtion, etc. No buttons, apps or anything like that. Simple and effective.
D73D7082-9847-4D84-8433-EF5CF2CD6175.jpeg

if you are going to spend the money for in cab monitoring, I’d go Simarine. @Hyup and @DanMedeiros both have it in their 80s and it is pretty impressive. Maybe they’ll chime in.

I have a simple National Luna dual voltmeter flushed into the shift console and a Blue Sea mini OLED ammeter via 500a shunt on my auxiliary battery mounted in the cigarette lighter spot. It is a quick one second glance down and I can verify my batteries are being charged and at what amount and also how much + or - current is traveling thru my aux battery. I like the colored round leds of the NL. It’s a bit simpler to process vs looking at numbers. 2 green leds, float charge. 4 green leds, absorbtion, etc. No buttons, apps or anything like that. Simple and effective. View attachment 2336320
Thats a great set up there and simple/less complicated is definitely a tempting method to stick by to make repairs or maintenance much simpler in the field. That Simarine unit is super sleek. As a heads up, I spoke to REDARC over email about using their product and they essentially told me the Manager 30 would not be appropriate to monitor batteries under the hood due to temperatures there. I would only be able to use their product to manage a separate house battery located somewhere in the cab in back. While it could also be used as a separate MPPT controller for my solar as well I already have one that came with my Overland Solar kit. For 1300 dollars approximate for the REDARC Manager 30 it doesnt really make a lot of sense for me to go the REDARC route for my set up as my aux battery does the trick (until such time as I need an inverter or separate house battery). I may lean towards SIMARINE on this one but want to make sure monitoring my two batteries under the hood (with the under hood temps) with this product is not an issue. Ive attached a picture of my console up front. Im running the DELTA VS complete console. While I do have a switch lower right that reads out voltage for both batts it would be great to get more detail on charge rate while running for both batts, charge rate for solar, battery time left until discharge, etc., etc.,

80 series console.jpg

Timely thread, since I’m installing a similar system. Please post up some pics of your setup. I haven’t thought about a monitoring system though. Subscribed
I'll keep you posted and will post picks as well. So far I just got in my Overland Solar Bugout 130 with MPPT controller. While I don't have it hooked up yet, their customer service is second to none and I was even offered a free SAE outlet. Spoke to Brian directly over the phone there and he was incredible. I'll post a separate review of my solar kit once I get my controller all sorted out.

Thats a great set up there and simple/less complicated is definitely a tempting method to stick by to make repairs or maintenance much simpler in the field. That Simarine unit is super sleek. As a heads up, I spoke to REDARC over email about using their product and they essentially told me the Manager 30 would not be appropriate to monitor batteries under the hood due to temperatures there. I would only be able to use their product to manage a separate house battery located somewhere in the cab in back. While it could also be used as a separate MPPT controller for my solar as well I already have one that came with my Overland Solar kit. For 1300 dollars approximate for the REDARC Manager 30 it doesnt really make a lot of sense for me to go the REDARC route for my set up as my aux battery does the trick (until such time as I need an inverter or separate house battery). I may lean towards SIMARINE on this one but want to make sure monitoring my two batteries under the hood (with the under hood temps) with this product is not an issue. Ive attached a picture of my console up front. Im running the DELTA VS complete console. While I do have a switch lower right that reads out voltage for both batts it would be great to get more detail on charge rate while running for both batts, charge rate for solar, battery time left until discharge, etc., etc.,

View attachment 2336751
Really nice setup with the Delta panel. What are the 2 gauges on the top far left?

Last edited:
The BM30 is a bit much if all you have are 2 or 3 batteries. But it looks proper. The BCDC1240 (or 1250) would be more than sufficient. There's also the Projecta IDC25 (RedArc clone) but they aren't as prevalent as they were a year ago. They are also 20amps, where the 1240 and 1250 are 40 and 50amps respectively.
I see you already have an MPPT controller, so RedArcs unit with the built in controllers would be redundant - for better or worse depending on your end goal.

edit: One thing the BM30 does do tho is A/C inversion charging. But you could accomplish this with a separate inverter/charger unit too, so... A/C charging is not an option for me, so I failed to mention it.

Last edited:

View attachment 2336751

@Delta VS did a great job engineering this. Its on the top of my favorite upgrades to my '94. In the new pic I attached #1 is my Fuel Transfer Switch with gauge integrated in the switch (for my Long Range Tank that sits in my spare tire location); #2 Water Temp Gauge; #3 Transmission Temp; 4 is my voltmeter switch that reads volts to both starter and aux batteries; #5 is a dual USB plug with viewable voltage seen through the window.

Inked80 series console Numbered.jpg

Quick update: After receiving great advice and doing some research between REDARC, Natl Luna and Simarine, I'm going with Simarine on this one. Wanted to send a shout out to @Hyup for the guidance and assistance in the setup and recommendations! I spoke with Simarine directly and after having a few conversations with them they came up with the following list of parts they recommended for monitoring everything from batteries, long range gas tank, water tank(s), Temps at batteries, inside and outside, Fridge, inclinometer, etc.:

SIMARINE PICO Standalone in Black
SC501 for my Aux Battery
SC301 for my starter battery
ST107 for Fuel and water tank monitoring and Temp sensors
SCQ25 for solar inputs and shore power input
SIMARINE Inclinometer
Two Temp sensors to start with

I went direct with SIMARINE and their customer service was fantastic. I consulted with them on exactly what I was trying to monitor and possible future expansion and they recommended the above. I also found a Coupon Code out there FAROUTRIDE that gave me 10% off on and SIMARINE honored that. These guys are straight out of Slovenia and as such there is no tax and unbelievably no shipping. Total cost was 798 after all was said and done including shipping. As per an earlier post, I did purchase a REDARC Manager 30 but returned it. That price was roughly 1250 USD but could only manage a house battery inside my rig as well as solar.

For my solar setup I have a Overland Solar Bugout 130 and included the Solar MPPT controller. I've got to buy some other accessories to ensure all is waterproof under the hood (HYUP provided some recommendations on that). Once I get the package in I will update on the install.

Last edited:
Nice system @BradyBunchFJ80 . Post up some pics and let us know how you like it after install.

Really like the @Delta VS center console with your switches and gauges. Well thought out, useful, and looks great.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom