Dual Battery Kit Interest (1 Viewer)

If you have interest in this kit, what type of kit do you prefer?

• I am interested, but only if it is stoopid simple to install

Votes: 53 47.3%
  • I am interested, prefer it simple, but want some flexibility with the installation

Votes: 46 41.1%
  • I am interested, but I don't want anything finished, I just want all the parts to make it right

Votes: 13 11.6%

• Total voters

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Measured and mocked up some bits. I think I have landed on supplying terminal fuses rather than circuit breakers. It should help with pricing along with making installation a bit easier. I really like how you can avoid additional cables with terminal fuses and adding a protected run to the rear of the vehicle will be easy. You also don't have to find places to mount circuit breakers. Heat shrink and PET will be here this week meaning assembly of the cables can begin. Need to decide exactly what to do with extending the wiring for the washer bottle along with the washer bottle relocation bracket. I also haven't quite decided on all the options and upgrades I will be offering, but that should be put to rest next weekend. The first kit will be based on the 7610. It will include tinned marine cable, marine lugs, terminal fuse blocks and fuses, hardware to mount it all along with a few bits to make it clean and simple. More to come.....

worktable.jpg

Measured and mocked up some bits. I think I have landed on supplying terminal fuses rather than circuit breakers. It should help with pricing along with making installation a bit easier. I really like how you can avoid additional cables with terminal fuses and adding a protected run to the rear of the vehicle will be easy. You also don't have to find places to mount circuit breakers. Heat shrink and PET will be here this week meaning assembly of the cables can begin. Need to decide exactly what to do with extending the wiring for the washer bottle along with the washer bottle relocation bracket. I also haven't quite decided on all the options and upgrades I will be offering, but that should be put to rest next weekend. The first kit will be based on the 7610. It will include tinned marine cable, marine lugs, terminal fuse blocks and fuses, hardware to mount it all along with a few bits to make it clean and simple. More to come.....

View attachment 1856063
yea theres room for breakers I have two 100 trippables between second battery and snrkel exit. They are great because they blow find it and then reset. just saying.

yea theres room for breakers I have two 100 trippables between second battery and snrkel exit. They are great because they blow find it and then reset. just saying.

Hopefully, they will never blow, but I hear ya..I will more than likely offer breakers as an option. It will add to the price and complexity though.

Mocked up some test cables tonight, using regular 4awg welding wire. Marine tinned wire builds begin in the next couple days. I wanted to make sure the hydraulic crimper is good to go along with the shrink and PET. We have also decided to offer a battery extension kit for the main battery. This will be for people that do not want to run dual batteries but do want to add accessories. Then, we are going to be offering custom lengths with a handful of different terminal lug sizes for order from the site. More to come on that in the next couple weeks.

lead2.jpg

leads.jpg

lead3.jpg

Mocked up some test cables tonight, using regular 4awg welding wire. Marine tinned wire builds begin in the next couple days. I wanted to make sure the hydraulic crimper is good to go along with the shrink and PET. We have also decided to offer a battery extension kit for the main battery. This will be for people that do not want to run dual batteries but do want to add accessories. Then, we are going to be offering custom lengths with a handful of different terminal lug sizes for order from the site. More to come on that in the next couple weeks.

View attachment 1857939

View attachment 1857940

View attachment 1857944
Cables look really nice! Good that you're offering a number of aux/dual power solutions. Will be good for the less electrically inclined folks like myself...:)

It is all mechanically crimped, heat-shrunk, and protected. New grounds for both batteries will be included too.
what size grounds pics or its not real.

what size grounds pics or its not real.

The pictures are 4awg which is what I plan to use to for battery to body ground, then 2awg for the block to battery. I don't have those built yet. Pictures of everything will be coming over the next week or so.

More progress. All parts and pieces are here and assembly has begun. Everything so far is 4awg, but 2awg is following. I will be using three terminal lug sizes. 3/8, 5/16 and 1/4". This allows me to build the cables with the correct size ends for where it needs to connect. The marine terminals and ACR use 3/8, the fender ground uses 1/4, and the terminal fuses use 5/16. This means most cables will have different ends, but it will also make the installation easier as most of it will only install one direction. It also allows single custom cables to be ordered with specific ends. Here are some pics of the different size ends along with the sacrificial terminal lug I used make sure I was getting a good mechanical crush inside the fitting. The short cable shown goes from the negative terminal on the main battery to the fender. You'll notice the two different lug sizes on that too. Haven't quite got the washer bottle extension and braket solved yet, but that should be easy enough and I plan on putting that behind me by the end of the week.

battgrdtest-5.jpg
battgrdtest-2.jpg
battgrdtest-3.jpg
battgrdtest-4.jpg
battgrdtest.jpg

I am very interested! The wife wanted to give me a 2nd battery installation kit for Christmas but didn't know what to buy. I have military terminals already but was planning on piecing the rest together myself.

Bit of an update - first kit is complete and has been mocked up, writing instructions this week.

This first kit is centered around a very simple installation and the BlueSea 7610 ACR. It does not combine batteries if your main battery dies, but will combine batteries during charging and isolates batteries when discharging and when starting. I am assuming the installation does not include a high output alternator, but an 80 amp alternator like the truck came with.

I've also decided to use marine terminal fuses instead of circuit breakers at the batteries for a few reasons. First, for ease of installation, second it means two less cables and two less things to go wrong and it saves some money. With the dual terminal fuse at the second battery you can easily add a circuit breaker if you decide to make a run to the back of the truck. I know lots of people like to disable the power going to the back if they are working back there and this will still allow that.

Here are all of (90% sure) the items included in the first (most basic kit).

1. Blue Sea 7610 ACR
2. Blue Sea MRBF Terminal Fuse Block rated for up to 300A for the main battery
3. Blue Sea 100A marine fuse for main battery to ACR
4. Blue Sea Dual MRBF Terminal Fuse Block rated for up to 300A for the secondary battery - one terminal will be left empty so you have the ability to easily add another circuit to the back of the truck or an additional fuse block somewhere else in the truck.
5. Blue Sea 100A marine fuse for secondary battery to ACR
6. Four stainless steel M4x25 Allen head bolts, washers, and lock nuts for installation of the ACR onto the cruise control cover
7. 4AWG tinned marine cable for main battery positive terminal to ACR
8. 4AWG tinned marine cable for secondary battery positive terminal to ACR
9. 4AWG tinned marine cable for main battery negative terminal to fender
10. 4AWG tinned marine cable for secondary battery negative terminal to fender
11. 2AWG tinned marine cable for secondary battery negative terminal to engine block. Bolt for block included.
12. 14AWG inline blade fuse and holder for ACR ground to fender ground
13. Two Mil-Spec battery terminals for main battery - this allows OEM fusible link and wiring, along with the new terminal fuse block to be easily installed.
14. Installation Instructions

A more detailed picture of the positive terminal and connections at the secondary battery

fuseterminal.jpg

More detail of the main battery to ACR Terminal Fuse connection.

fuseterminal-2.jpg

For those of you interested. I need some feed back.

Right now, I am not planning on adding in Mil-Spec terminals for the secondary battery because I prefer the type of battery post shown in the picture. Is this okay?

I am also not planning on including any extra 100A fuses. I have been running my dual setup for nearly two years without issue. I figure if its done right, the risk is low of a fuse blowing. I will offer spare fuses to purchase but not include them in the kit. Thoughts?

Last edited:
I'm no electrical guru, but man...those cables look sexy! Sorry, that's all I have to offer...carry on kind sir! :cool:

looks good to me, sign me up!

I like the military terminals, but I've already got them (and second battery box) so it doesn't bother me. I think my paranoia demands a spare fuse in the glove box, since that style isn't likely to be available at a Chevron in BFE. I like the option built in for running something to the back, that's definitely on my list.

Thanks,
Andrew

Sign me up for one!

Mil spec battery terminals are relatively inexpensive and easy to change, I would leave that up to the individual to buy separately if prefer them.

This looks like a very high quality project and I agree with ewillis - love them cables!

Just curious, what would you do differently for a high output Sequoia alternator? Just the cable size to the alternator and to the engine block?

Mil spec battery terminals are relatively inexpensive and easy to change, I would leave that up to the individual to buy separately if prefer them.

This looks like a very high quality project and I agree with ewillis - love them cables!

Just curious, what would you do differently for a high output Sequoia alternator? Just the cable size to the alternator and to the engine block?

Yep, just larger cables and fuses or circuit breakers. Things should speed up once I have this first kit behind me and that is when I will move up to larger cables along with the parts/pieces to allow in-cab combining, larger alternators, etc.

Not so great weather in CO right now so working on the kit has slowed a bit because I have to do some mock up on my truck, but I am still planning on getting the pricing and ordering details announced this weekend.

Kit is looking top notch! Awesome products coming from HuddExpo. :cheers:

Ironically, my battery is about dead so I am actively looking into battery alternatives. I had my heart set on running just one good battery with a solid local warranty, but I'm sure interested in your kit. I don't know how fast you are trying to get kits sold but if you're close to production and the price is right I'm interested. I do have two questions:
  1. A washer relocation bracket will still be required to purchase from Slee and a 2nd battery tray will be required to run your kit on top of the final price right (Delta VS looks to sell that tray competitively)?
  2. I'm guessing you choose the 7610 ACR for cost effectiveness but is this unit able to jumpstart itself or do you still need Jumper cables? Why was the 7622 not chosen?
I'm pretty motivated so more than willing to hop on this train if everything lines up.

Thank you!

Ironically, my battery is about dead so I am actively looking into battery alternatives. I had my heart set on running just one good battery with a solid local warranty, but I'm sure interested in your kit. I don't know how fast you are trying to get kits sold but if you're close to production and the price is right I'm interested. I do have two questions:
  1. A washer relocation bracket will still be required to purchase from Slee and a 2nd battery tray will be required to run your kit on top of the final price right (Delta VS looks to sell that tray competitively)?
  2. I'm guessing you choose the 7610 ACR for cost effectiveness but is this unit able to jumpstart itself or do you still need Jumper cables? Why was the 7622 not chosen?
I'm pretty motivated so more than willing to hop on this train if everything lines up.

Thank you!

I am very close, although delayed for a few days. The bulk 2AWG hasn't showed up yet, so I can't make the cable for the secondary battery to the block, but I should have that soon.

Yes, you will need to get a washer relocation bracket. At some point, I may offer some sort of relocation kit, but not yet.

On the 7610 vs 7622 - I really chose the 7610 for ease of installation and less complexity, but less expensive is good for the first kit too. I am a huge fan of the KISS method especially when considering dual batteries. The other consideration with the 7622 is the need for larger cables since you have to account for combining to jump/winch etc. I know all the lengths, so moving up in cable size it easy, but I have to get the in-cab options buttoned down before offering that kit. The kit including the 7622 will not be using 4awg, but 2awg or 1/0, I just need to do some math and make sure the cabling is good for the potential amperage those kits may see.

In regards to jump starting your vehicle, you do have to jump between the positive terminals when using the 7610. From what I have heard, that is not a big deal for most people, but for those that want in cab combining to jump and winch the 7622 solves that.

Keep you eyes peeled. Pricing and timelines for availability will be announced very soon.

Hope this helps.

David

I am very close, although delayed for a few days. The bulk 2AWG hasn't showed up yet, so I can't make the cable for the secondary battery to the block, but I should have that soon.

Yes, you will need to get a washer relocation bracket. At some point, I may offer some sort of relocation kit, but not yet.

On the 7610 vs 7622 - I really chose the 7610 for ease of installation and less complexity, but less expensive is good for the first kit too. I am a huge fan of the KISS method especially when considering dual batteries. The other consideration with the 7622 is the need for larger cables since you have to account for combining to jump/winch etc. I know all the lengths, so moving up in cable size it easy, but I have to get the in-cab options buttoned down before offering that kit. The kit including the 7622 will not be using 4awg, but 2awg or 1/0, I just need to do some math and make sure the cabling is good for the potential amperage those kits may see.

In regards to jump starting your vehicle, you do have to jump between the positive terminals when using the 7610. From what I have heard, that is not a big deal for most people, but for those that want in cab combining to jump and winch the 7622 solves that.

Keep you eyes peeled. Pricing and timelines for availability will be announced very soon.

Hope this helps.

David
Sounds good David, I’m gonna hold out on the battery buying for the next little bit. I’ll keep my eyes peeled.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom