dual battery install Idol problems (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Just got done putting in a battery isolator with a scond battery and now I am having idol problems. When it is running both batteries are getting the 14.5 amps needed.

Going from stone cold the engine will not idle, it will fire up no problem but it will rev up and then die. doesnt even try to stay running. Once it is warm it will idle and run fine.

Right now I have the idle cranked up so it will stay running when it is cold but when at OP temperature in D it is idleing at 9-1000 and 14000 when in P.

Is the draw from the alternator that much more that it can drag the engine down? Anybody else come across this? :cheers:

How many times have you started the truck since the battery install? The computer needs several start cycles to "relearn" after having the battery disconnected.

If you have started it several times, then i would go back and make sure all the grounds were good and that all of the fusable links were reattached.

That is what I was thinking but normally when I disconnect the battery and put it back together it will idle just at different speeds each time. Ill give it a few more starts before tearing it all apart again.

I did blow the AM1 fuse before figuring out I had a wire connected wrong would that extra jolt before it blew ruin the ECU?

I had a similar issue when converting my FJ62 to electric fans. I eventually put a smaller diameter pulley on the alternator and that solved it. Good luck.

Where did you get a smaller pulley? I disconnected the battery again to start fresh again and see what that does.

This is a 1fz-fe FYI

Can't remember where I ordered the pulley from. Just started poking around on the net and found a place that specialized in alternator parts. There are only a couple of shaft diameters so it's not all that hard to piece somthing together.

If it starts at all I doubt that your ECU is fried. There should be no reason to go to a smaller pulley to get this to work either.

Are both batteries in good shape? I dead one will drag the engine down.
I assume you mean that they are both getting 14.5 Volts and not amps when the engine is running - what do they have when the engine is not running?
Have you put an ohmmeter across the fusible links?
Is MIL on? Any engine codes?
Did you disturb any vacuum lines while you were doing the job?
Did you place a battery cable too close to the distributor or any of the high tension leads from it?

If it starts at all I doubt that your ECU is fried. There should be no reason to go to a smaller pulley to get this to work either.

Are both batteries in good shape? I dead one will drag the engine down.
I assume you mean that they are both getting 14.5 Volts and not amps when the engine is running - what do they have when the engine is not running?
Have you put an ohmmeter across the fusible links?
Is MIL on? Any engine codes?
Did you disturb any vacuum lines while you were doing the job?
Did you place a battery cable too close to the distributor or any of the high tension leads from it?

X2
ken

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom