1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dual battery in an FJ60

Discussion in '60-Series Wagons' started by Mike S, Mar 4, 2004.

1. Mike S

Mike S

While I am messing with the electrical power requirements for my 60, I am examining the possibility of a dual battery set up in the engine compartment. I can see that there is easily room for the second battery on the driver's (left) side next to the radiator. I just need to move the overflow bottle to the right side, and mount a battery box using the existing bolt hole in the front clip.

Question - where can I reasonably move the cold air intake hose? I am not ready to saw a hole in my truck and mount a snorkel.

I know some of you have solved this, I just don't see it right now.

Thanks

2. pismojim

pismojim the Dude abides...

Once the headlight washer reservoir is gone, it "plugs" nicely into a hole on the driver's side fender. I taped up a few other holes in the inner fender so the inside of the fender well gets cooler air from behind the headlight instead of the engine compartment. This is a bit higher and dryer than the stock location.

I did trim off of the end of the intake tube a bit.

3. Landpimp

Landpimp

Media:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I left my intake hose in the stock location.

can mount the coolent bottle on the passangerside battery(use a hj60 mount)

trays are stainless, batts are Excide Orbitas Extrems. 2 batt stuff is Wrangler, cables are 1/0 welding cable, alt is Mean Green 200 amp. Mega fuse between alt and bat.

4. Mike S

Mike S

Thanks, guys.

Pimp the setup you have looks like where I am going, including the location of the ARB compressor. As to the cold air intake, it didn't look like I could get it to fit around the battery and still use the stock front mounting point. Looks like you made it work.

Thanks again.

Mike

5. Landpimp

Landpimp

Media:
    the intake is tight but it works, I need to trim off the rear bolt for the bat hold down before it wears a hole in the rubber intake, other than that it fits. If you used a bigger(longer) batt it wouldn't however. I didn't want to loose the headlight washers(like Jim) but its an option

Mike, if you got questions just shout at me :)

John h

[quote author=Mike S link=board=1;threadid=12566;start=msg115866#msg115866 date=1078520386]
    Thanks, guys.

Pimp the setup you have looks like where I am going, including the location of the ARB compressor. As to the cold air intake, it didn't look like I could get it to fit around the battery and still use the stock front mounting point. Looks like you made it work.

Thanks again.

Mike
    [/quote]

6. Mike S

Mike S

[quote author=Landpimp link=board=1;threadid=12566;start=msg115895#msg115895 date=1078522866]
    the intake is tight but it works, I need to trim off the rear bolt for the bat hold down before it wears a hole in the rubber intake, other than that it fits. If you used a bigger(longer) batt it wouldn't however. I didn't want to loose the headlight washers(like Jim) but its an option

Mike, if you got questions just shout at me :)

John h
    [/quote]

One of the many little fixes was to get the headlight washers functional - I would hate to give them up - they are very cool - even if I seldom use them.

Thanks.

Mike

7. pismojim

pismojim the Dude abides...

I'm using "big ass" group 27 batteries so no room for the intake.

If desired, it should be possible to route the headlight washer system to the window washer tank. Use one tank for both systems. Personally, I haven't missed the headlight washers and have moved on to other mods.

Pimp - that enigne compartment is waaaaaay to clean. :rolleyes: :flipoff2: :rolleyes:

8. MR.FJ60

MR.FJ60

How would you go about wiring both of the batteries? ???

9. Landpimp

Landpimp

Media:
    I use a selnoid to connect them, there is a 3 way switch in the cab that controll which or both batts are being charged or used or connected together. Other than that its just alot of cable(welding) Really pretty simple and I enjoy doing it.

you could simple join the 2 batts together but then they both need to be the same size, same age and they both drain and charge at the same time, no real benifit to this becuase it leave you no reserve. With my set up, if one bat is dead, I can jump the car with the other or join them for winching or just use one and the other is reverve............give you lots of options.

[quote author=MR.FJ60 link=board=1;threadid=12566;start=msg116209#msg116209 date=1078560579]
    How would you go about wiring both of the batteries? ???
    [/quote]

10. Mike S

Mike S

[quote author=Landpimp link=board=1;threadid=12566;start=msg116277#msg116277 date=1078586691]
    I use a selnoid to connect them, there is a 3 way switch in the cab that controll which or both batts are being charged or used or connected together. Other than that its just alot of cable(welding) Really pretty simple and I enjoy doing it.

you could simple join the 2 batts together but then they both need to be the same size, same age and they both drain and charge at the same time, no real benifit to this becuase it leave you no reserve. With my set up, if one bat is dead, I can jump the car with the other or join them for winching or just use one and the other is reverve............give you lots of options.
    [/quote]

Pimp... I assume that you used the marine type switch with no isolator - totally manual? Would like to know why you choose this method - I am looking at the Hellroaring isolator set up, for both the dual batts (starting batts) in the cruiser and the dual batts (deep draw) in the trailer.

Mike

11. Landpimp

Landpimp

Media:
    nope, just a 200amp selnoid, no isolator or marine switch. I have looked at the Hellroaring stuff and honestly I don't get it? I have used the same set up on I did on the 60 on my 40 and 80, very simple and works great.

selnoid in mounted by the coolent bottle on the fender.

this little switch is what controll the batteries if I couse to do so manualy
    [​IMG]
    but its normaly automatic. When starting it joins both batts, when running both batts are being charged. when off the batts are seperated. I can with the switch seperate or join the batts to my liking. Very simple........very repliable.

[quote author=Mike S link=board=1;threadid=12566;start=msg116301#msg116301 date=1078591418]
    Pimp... I assume that you used the marine type switch with no isolator - totally manual? Would like to know why you choose this method - I am looking at the Hellroaring isolator set up, for both the dual batts (starting batts) in the cruiser and the dual batts (deep draw) in the trailer.

Mike
    [/quote]