dual batteries in 62 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
so, I bought a winch yesterday, now its time for the dual battery set-up. Couple o' questions 1: is a deep cycle really needed and 2: if I use the factory dual battery tray (DS) what to do with the air canister for the smog pump? Any pictures of dual batteries in a 62 or any other advice would be appreciated :D :D :beer:

dont know what to tell you to do on the 62, have duals on the fj80(one red top and yellow top), havn't done the 62 yet(prolly won't, no winch no plans for one)

instead of the OEM tray and brace, use the stainless tray/s
http://www.stainlesstrays.com/products.html
I just added a set in my fj60(62 should be the same) and they are SWEET, cost less then the OEM tray and won't rust out(old tray was the only rust on my fj60)
For the 60 I ordered a OEM washer bottle bracket that take the place of the J-hook, the bottle slides right on it like the stock(on a 60) location. I mounted it on the passanger side(more room on a 60)

IMOP optima yellow tops are crap, I have 2-3 that are toast or on there way out, not more than 2-3 years old.

Red Tops seem to work just fine for winching, I don't think I have had a red top go bad, the pair on my boat are 6 years old!

Trying a Exide XCDs in the 60, suppose to be built better than the Optimas, takes a charge better, the side post won't melt(like an Optima), cheaper.

for the mack daddy of batteries these are da chit 8)
http://www.odysseyfactory.com/

I'm using them(1200MJT's) in the Fj40, pretty dang impressive batt and small with alot of power, built like a tank, can take a fast charge.
best price, good service and fast/cheap shiping these guys are great
http://www.batteryweb.com/hawker.cfm
you can get a 1200 and a 680(I think it is) to fit in the stock tray(on any Cruiser I think) !! I'm modifiing the tray(on 40) to take 2x 1200's, should be a sweet set up.

For actaull dual battery wiring I like the Wrangler Power Products stuff, been on my 80 for 3-4 years, never gave me problems and is simple to use, just a selnoid and a switch, ordering 2 more set ups from them next week, make all the cables myself.

Those are my thoughts

John H

Landpimp,
you are the pimp!! :D Good sources and info. Let me clarify a couple things. Are you saying that you can fit two batteries in the same tray of a 40? If this is the case I wouldn't need to put one on the driver's side?( assuming I can fit two in the 62 tray).
Second if running a 650 and a 1200, the 650 would be the main start/lighting battery. Just want to do it right the first time. Thanks,
Nick :beer: :beer:

I believe the trays are the same size for a 60/2 and a 40, I'll check this weekend for sure

Yes you can fit a 1200 and 650 in a stock 40 tray, with no cutting, I have all the mesurements at home

You can just measure your tray and then look at the dimmensions of the different size Oddessys. Could prolly use 2 of the 925's as well in the stock tray, but I think a 1200 is more suited to my needs.

If I were to run the 1200 and 650 I would use the 1200 as the main and the 650 as reserve(backup) using the Wrangler stuff for electonics. One advantage of putting both in the stock tray is that you don't have to run cable across to the other tray, but it's not a big deal anyway.

Or I could stuff one 1700 in with just a small mod(cut off the forward side of tray and weld on angle iron) to the stock 40 tray(I think on a 60/2 it wouldn't fit) but if that runs down then there is no back up.....I want back up.

But I think as I have a 1200 already I will do some cutting and welding to the stock 40 tray and use 2x 1200, just need to lenghten(towards front) the tray 1.5" and widen it about the same(towards engine), both will then fit, this will give me lots of juice and redundent batts.

to see how small a 1200MJT is look at it next to a Optima.....
http://pic4.picturetrail.com/VOL55/691553/1566988/32155976.jpg

but if you do add a 2nd tray diffenetly get the stainless tray(or driverside) it's justs a much better tray than the OEM, they are $58 each or if you get a pair $55 each. The OEM washer bottle bracket was $30ish I think. On my 60 I was able to leave the air intake hose in the stock location.....which made me happy.

let me know if you have anymore questions

John H

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom