Dual 200-series garage... 2015 & 2021 - which one to build? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I feel ridiculous about posting this but: I frigging love the 200-series (ha, we all do). I bought 2015 used little over 2 years ago with plans to build it out. Goal: capable not crazy overland/moderate trail rig. The only regret not buying one sooner. The other lesser regret maybe not buying new 2018-2019 at the time. It really looks like 8-speed might be worth it (now that shifting issues are fixed) and probably the LED lights as well (at the time I did not know how good LEDs can be, ignorant me).

Anyway. To date a modest build: RockWarriors with ~33" KO2s, Budbuilt sliders, Budbuild skids (mix of Alu & SS), ARB dual compressor.

On parts shelf waiting for install: ARB Deluxe front bumper, Slee rear bumper, Kings 2.5s. Also at the same time: winch & dual battery setup. Later 24 gal aux tank will wrap up the build. No drawers, RTTs, and other stuff. I'd probably up the tires to 34", something I should have done from the get go. Lockers & regearing not really in the plan, but I may revisit that (especially the latter).

Now, we love the truck so much for regular road-tripping (with mild "off-roading" mixed in, read forest roads, etc). that I know the built one will not be as good at. It just can't be: the weight, lift and compromised aero will take the toll. So the obvious answer to the problem is: add another one to the stable. And likely new this time.

Before I go too far into mods on the 2015 I am considering change of course and building out the new one instead. Main reason: 8-speed for the crawl speed. Second reason: the look of 2016+ TJM bullbar (yeah, I am that vain) vs. the chunky ARB. Third reason: can get 5-seater HE that seems to fit the purpose better. Age/warranty would suggest 2015 is a better candidate for build still, but that gets irrelevant as both vehicles would be expected to be "forever" rigs.

This is ridiculous first world problem to have... and the right answer is probably "whatever makes you more happy, man"...

Short version of the question above probably is: is 8-speed really better choice for a built rig? Wise men on the forum say re-gearing should be done regardless of the tranny for a heavy rig, and maybe even more so on the 8-speed.

Last edited:
Well, if your going to mod one or the other I would say mod the 15. It's out of warranty and has deprecated more so when you screw up the body off road you won't care as much!

Anytime you modify a vehicle you narrow it's resale appeal and risk having to hassle with the dealer over warranty issues. Obviously the 15 is out of warranty so that's not a factor.

1st world problem is right!

My opinion, build the 15, keep the 2021 stock. If the 21 is truly the end of the road in NA?

1st world problem is right!

My opinion, build the 15, keep the 2021 stock. If the 21 is truly the end of the road in NA?

That's what it seems. And even if it's not, it seems the V8 is a history. Which is a deal breaker. I don't care for a turbo in a rig like this.

Well, if your going to mod one or the other I would say mod the 15. It's out of warranty and has deprecated more so when you screw up the body off road you won't care as much!

Anytime you modify a vehicle you narrow it's resale appeal and risk having to hassle with the dealer over warranty issues. Obviously the 15 is out of warranty so that's not a factor.

Bought with the platinum warranty till late 2024, so technically as much under warranty as the new one will be. Waste of money the warranty was, though it was cheap.

But you're right in the sense then the used truck is proven, and a new one make will need some miles to get there.

Last edited:
I’d personally build the older one. I only have one so went ahead and built a new one

Jelly. My plan was to build out my 2008 until it stopped working or generally being able to drive and /or start. Then transfer what I can from 1st 2hundo to 2016+ 2hundo. Over the course of years to be honest. But your plan is most excellent.

8 gears versus 6, wouldn't notice to be honest. 5 seat HE is the same as removing the third row, no difference. The 2016+ is for sure better looking than my ole lady. If you have the cash then drive the 2021 on Sundays to the mall and make the 2015 your girlfriend for the rest of the time. Then when she gets old you got a new lady waiting for you. I don't have these kind of 1st world problems but that's my opinion and I'm sticking to it.

Yeah, building 2015 makes more sense.

Which means I'll go for regular base 2021 as the 3rd row in that one may come handy at times. Indeed the 3rd row delete implementation on Heritage seems lame (they even left the grab handles). Plus I get to keep the coolbox and save some $$$.

I know 2021 Heritage comes in 3rd row variant... but likely not worth the premium. Wheels are nice but I am not crazy about the bronze. The best part is blackened headlights & grille. Chrome on doors is less objectionable on 2016+ than it was on 2013-2015. Black headliner? Dunno, I like black interiors (hate anything else in fact), but the black headliner pushes it too far. Maybe more practical but haven't had much trouble keeping my vehciles' headliners clean.

It sounds silly but I've become fan of the coolbox and if Heritage came with one, it would have been harder choice...

Last edited:
One small detail, the 2015 should have a rollover side curtain airbag disable switch for off-camber situations off-road, and I seem to remember toyota removing this in later models like (edit: to correct year)18+ due to regulations. Or maybe the new system is better at avoiding false deployments and the button isn’t needed.

Either way side curtains deploying when they shouldn’t off-road is a thing (check YouTube for videos), and that simple button could potentially save a lot of money and headache if you get into challenging trails.

Last edited:
One small detail, the 2015 should have a rollover side curtain airbag disable switch for off-camber situations off-road, and I seem to remember toyota removing this in later models like 16+ due to regulations. Or maybe the new system is better at avoiding false deployments and the button isn’t needed.

Either way side curtains deploying when they shouldn’t off-road is a thing (check YouTube for videos), and that simple button could potentially save a lot of money and headache if you get into challenging trails.

Oh, I did not know that! We really need a thread that list changes year by year!

That sucks. Tried to search and did not find any solid evidence the system has been improved. Apparently can't retrofit the switch easily either which is a bummer.

Effing commie guberment nannies.

I don't think my '13 had a curtain airbag cut off switch... nor does my '16.

update: this is incorrect. Thanks for the help bloc. Fixed two posts below.

Last edited:
I don't think my '13 had a curtain airbag cut off switch... nor does my '16.
You had me second guessing myself so I went and checked mine. Still on my 13

8E50616E-7947-4F00-95EA-D3C83D407A4E.jpeg

Ahhh, that's what RSCA stands for! I'm such an idiot. My '13 had it too. Sorry.

8CD76902-0590-48BA-ACC8-94BB87BC4F1D.jpeg

But so does the '16:
3E83A687-9876-421B-AA93-0DBF7F2F0963.jpeg

Ahhh, that's what RSCA stands for! I'm such an idiot. My '13 had it too. Sorry.

View attachment 2533470
But so does the '16:
View attachment 2533472
Thanks for keeping me in line. Looks like it was 2018:

I did too until mine stopped working. Ugh.

Seems like the coolbox fan dying is a common issue. Somewhat disappointing, given it is a bitch to replace. One thing fewer to fail would be a pro for the Heritage, hmmm...

Put deposit on a 2021 2-row HE in silver. Found a decent near local deal.

So the plan is to build the HE. I know, bit crazy... but this is going to be the toy one and my use - overlanding/mild trial will be easier on the rig than year-round use in the salt belt. I like my toys to be positively rust free, so this one will not go out in winter or at least very little.

While I rustproofed the 2015 like a madman, it is seeing winter use, and no matter what it will take a toll (these ****ers use insane amount of salt here).

This is sickness but I think I will have understanding audience here... :)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom