DS Weatherstrip replacement- leak fix (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Well, it is that time of the year again... Rain pours and the carpet on the DS corner gets wet, I mean really soaking wet.

After reading many posts on this forum and other 80 series forums, I have followed the basic recomendations and checked the newly replaced OEM windshield and gasket, drain holes on the sunroof and rocker plugs, "A" pillar garnish and roof headliner..... everything seems to be dry and working as it should. To my surprise, the culprit for the DS corner leak is the door weatherstrip. Seems that the PO did a poor job on the door panel after installing the speakers and part of the weatherstrip was not attached to the plugs on the door. It looks like a lot of people oversee the weatherstrip thinking that it is the windshield or the sunroof parts that are causing the leak. It might be worth checking the weatherstrip as well to see if the rubber around the perimeter is placed correctly.

So, in my case, a new weatherstrip needs to be installed on the DS door to stop the leak. Part of the rubber is ripped and not sealing properly. However to do that, I need to detach the arm that connects the door to the body. To my surprise, there is no bolt connecting the arm to the body but instead I see a metal pin as the pictures below show ( very dusty stuff):

IMG_3060.jpg

IMG_3059.jpg

I can remove the pin with a rubber hammer but now I'm wondering if that is the right way to do it and also what is the right way to install it. Apologies in advance if this is a silly question but how does one goes about detaching/installing the pin holding the arm bracket to the body? Also, what is the pin part number? Just in case something goes wrong.... I tried looking at the FSM but couldn't find the page where this is listed. Any helpful thoughts on this are appreciated.

Last edited:
That pin just pops up and out and can be reused.

So, in my case, a new door sill needs to be installed on the DS door to stop the leak.
What part is "a door sill"? Are you referring to the outer belt molding at the base of the window?

What part is "a door sill"? Are you referring to the outer belt molding at the base of the window?
I'm referring to the rubber weatherstrip around the door that blocks water, dust etc. from coming into the cabin.

I'm referring to the rubber weatherstrip around the door that blocks water, dust etc. from coming into the cabin.
That would be part number 67862-60073 WEATHERSTRIP, FRONT DOOR, LH.
Not sure how you got "door sill" out of that.

Glad @jonheld got you sorted on the door gasket & PN#

And yes, quick pop from underside & that pin is conical in shape - it’s not in forcefully, so even slip-joint pliers will work to squeeze it upward.

That would be part number 67862-60073 WEATHERSTRIP, FRONT DOOR, LH.
Not sure how you got "door sill" out of that.
Thanks for sharing the part n. I ordered it before I posted my question here.

If you understand construction, you'd know what a door sill is. The word "weatherstrip" had escaped my mind at the time I was posting the question so door sill it was.

Last edited:
Well, it is that time of the year again... Rain pours and the carpet on the DS corner gets wet, I mean really soaking wet.

After reading many posts on this forum and other 80 series forums, I have followed the basic recomendations and checked the newly replaced OEM windshield and gasket, drain holes on the sunroof and rocker plugs, "A" pillar garnish and roof headliner..... everything seems to be dry and working as it should. To my surprise, the culprit for the DS corner leak is the door weatherstrip. Seems that the PO did a poor job on the door panel after installing the speakers and part of the weatherstrip was not attached to the plugs on the door. It looks like a lot of people oversee the weatherstrip thinking that it is the windshield or the sunroof parts that are causing the leak. It might be worth checking the weatherstrip as well to see if the rubber around the perimeter is placed correctly.

So, in my case, a new weatherstrip needs to be installed on the DS door to stop the leak. Part of the rubber is ripped and not sealing properly. However to do that, I need to detach the arm that connects the door to the body. To my surprise, there is no bolt connecting the arm to the body but instead I see a metal pin as the pictures below show ( very dusty stuff):

View attachment 2805106
View attachment 2805108

I can remove the pin with a rubber hammer but now I'm wondering if that is the right way to do it and also what is the right way to install it. Apologies in advance if this is a silly question but how does one goes about detaching/installing the pin holding the arm bracket to the body? Also, what is the pin part number? Just in case something goes wrong.... I tried looking at the FSM but couldn't find the page where this is listed. Any helpful thoughts on this are appreciated.

Post edited.

Last edited:
^^^ you were fine for a new guy.

when you get done editing pass me the thinga-jig, it’s on the table next to the whatz-it :hillbilly:

Yes, we dish crap - but the thick skinned do fine, fake it till you make it on that front ;)

Passing it on, edit was easy 🍀 Just don't go full on, head might get heavy and wrenching exponentially difficult.

Rig is doin' very well indeed. 🤜 🤛

weatherstripping is a very common term in construction

a door sill is traditionally made of wood

full on has nothing to do with helping others

weatherstripping is a very common term in construction

a door sill is traditionally made of wood

full on has nothing to do with helping others
I'm all about helping others as I got a ton of help from this beloved community, even more in this forum as I learnerd a lot from many members here. However, trying to make a case just because of a wrong word.... a little too much imo.

Anyways, just wanted to share my experience with the leak in the 80. If people are so peaky with the wording in this forum maybe it is becoming something else other than helping a buddy with an issue. Collectible, Iconic, Best of all SUVs..... I see.

Last edited:
bait like a bass

yes that looks like wood
does weatherstripping look like a door sill

purporting to have a ‘broad’ vocabulary is self limiting in conversation,
especially retorting negatively to those you seek knowledge from.

A Google search for "Land Cruiser door sill" returns exactly what I think of when I hear door sill:

456e857119c776ef8c483f65c9714e6e78c9ca19_original.jpeg

No hate, but I didn't know what OP was talking about at first.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom