dry gas? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey all, what up!
it's going to be close to -30 this week where I live. I don't have a garage (yet)!
Is dry gas a good idea?
Also, for the heck of it, is the "cardboard on front of the grill" thing a good idea for this weather?
My LC dosen't get to operating temp. for a long while after a cold start up.
:doh:

Pat

Dry gas is good in cold weather.
The reason it takes so long to warm up is that its cold out.
I wouldn't put a 'redneck heater' on my 80.

Next time you are at the pump take a look at what they are using as an additive. If it is ethanol, like it is around here (used to be MBTE but never again), than you already have dry gas in your tank.

ok, thanks, I see you are in the state of NY. Same here!
I read about that in the papers. Started in VT with drinking water problems I think.

Invest $40 and put in a block heater or two, also should help extend the life of the engine in cold weather. It makes starting in the morning SO much nicer, and you get heat very soon after startup. Downside is that at 200 watts or so, it may cost you a bit each night, but still well worth it.

[quote author=SeanAndHis80 link=board=2;threadid=10012;start=msg89007#msg89007 date=1073930957]
Next time you are at the pump take a look at what they are using as an additive. If it is ethanol, like it is around here (used to be MBTE but never again), than you already have dry gas in your tank.
[/quote]

Actually, the EtOH used as an oxygenator will not take the place of dry gas. One of the problems using EtOH as an additive is that alcohol absorbs moisture, hence your alcohol-containing gas may already be saturated with water.

While dry gas is indeed alcohol (it's usually anhydrous isopropanol), what you're doing when you add this is to add completely water-free alcohol that has the capacity to absorb more water. So if there is a little bit of water sloshing about in your tank, the dry-gas will absorb it and allow it to mix freely with the gas and get burned (thereby removing the water from your tank). But dry gas will only absorb a small amount of water. If you've got lots, you'll probably want to drain the tank and never go back to that station.

Tom

dang, we never get all the goodies in the PRK. Our gas is always wet... :D
Eric

[quote author=e9999 link=board=2;threadid=10012;start=msg89099#msg89099 date=1073945299]
dang, we never get all the goodies in the PRK. Our gas is always wet... :D
Eric

[/quote]

Wet or liquid ?

Mike

If your 80 takes a long time to warm up, you may need a new thermostat. Mine starts in 5 degree weather and is pumping out heat in 2 miles of driving (about 5 minutes) and hits full operating temp (on the gauge) about 3 minutes later. I've always remarked that this is the fastest vehicle in terms of providing heat I've ever had, so you may consider it a data point.

On block heaters, mine's a factory one and its a 400 watt model. I use a cheap vacation light timer (dial that you choose when lights go on and off) to turn it on at 7am if I need morning heat. The cost of the timer would be paid back within a week vs leaving the heater on all night.

Dry gas (HEET, etc) is a good idea and I use it once in the fall and once in the spring when dramatic daily fluctuations are more apt to cause condensation in the tank. After 120k miles and 10 years, my tank showed just the smallest little circles from water collecting in the bottom when I replaced the fuel pump filter last year. Freeze and break a fuel line once and you'll pay a lot more than 10 years worth of HEET costs......

DougM

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom