Drum brake is stuck, wheel won't turn (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I need expert advise, please. My FJ40 with drum brakes has been inactive for two years and a front wheel is totally stuck despite intense hammering. Is it a bad idea to engage 4wd in order to break the drum loose? Do I risk breaking the drive shaft? Thanks in advance!

Bad idea in general. Have you turned back the adjusters before hammering on the drum?

Thanks for replying, Dick. No, I haven't. I am new to this problem. Can I reach the adjusters through holes in the backing plate?

Yep. If you can turn the adjusters back, the shoes will have some room for the return springs to pull them inward, if you can break the bond to the drum. I've been where you are on a couple parts rigs that have sat for ages and its a PITA.

If you throw a couple lug nuts on the studs you can use a pry bar try to rotate the drum while you pound on the drum. Sometimes it will help break things loose.

Still no Bueno? Nothing like a little heat to free things that are rusted up.

Yep. If you can turn the adjusters back, the shoes will have some room for the return springs to pull them inward, if you can break the bond to the drum. I've been where you are on a couple parts rigs that have sat for ages and its a PITA.

If you throw a couple lug nuts on the studs you can use a pry bar try to rotate the drum while you pound on the drum. Sometimes it will help break things loose.

Still no Bueno? Nothing like a little heat to free things that are rusted up.

You're experienced and a valuable help. Will follow your suggestions - better than what I learned on youtube ;) Thanks!

Having similar issues. Front drum brakes drag in one spot of a rotation. Brakes don’t drag until everything is tight. I backed off the adjusters and even swapped the drum with one I know runs true. I even pulled the bearings and checked the race too, no issues. I must be missing something. I did find the springs for the brakes were both on the outside, I corrected the issue and the drag is still there. Is the hub/spindle tweaked?

Bad idea in general. Have you turned back the adjusters before hammering on the drum?
This !!!!! Mine were actually frozen and hitting at appropriate angle with BFH finally did the job!

Sorry my post was intended for Indy. Bad timing

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom