Drum Brake Diagram (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Still new to this whole cruiser world, and have learned so much. In the process of redoing the rear drums, and my question is on the below diagram, which side represents Upper and then Lower between LRF and LRR? Same for RRR and RRF?

Thanks in advance!
06F9B6DD-9E7C-473E-AF1C-0E9C901DD41F.png

What year are you working on? On the newer style, with no banjo fitting, the cylinder with the bleeder goes in front, with adjuster pointing up. So brake line would come in the rear port of rear cylinder, then horseshoe shaped line would go in the front port of rear, to rear port of front cylinder, then bleeder at front port of front cylinder.
On the banjo fitting cylinders, I’m not sure if there’s a difference as both cylinders on each wheel have a bleeder? I believe the line from the axle still enters the rear wheel cylinder first. The pic is my 71 rears, passenger side (right).
I believe you can tell too by the way the adjuster is threaded. They go in so that you turn the tool the same way on all of them the tighten.
19BB4BDF-433E-4797-A5B8-29D2B512B850.jpeg

What year are you working on? On the newer style, with no banjo fitting, the cylinder with the bleeder goes in front, with adjuster pointing up. So brake line would come in the rear port of rear cylinder, then horseshoe shaped line would go in the front port of rear, to rear port of front cylinder, then bleeder at front port of front cylinder.
On the banjo fitting cylinders, I’m not sure if there’s a difference as both cylinders on each wheel have a bleeder? I believe the line from the axle still enters the rear wheel cylinder first. The pic is my 71 rears, passenger side (right).
I believe you can tell too by the way the adjuster is threaded. They go in so that you turn the tool the same way on all of them the tighten.
View attachment 2831426
I appreciate that picture and advice! Mine is a 72, so very similar.

Can you elaborate a little on your question? Are you trying to assemble the brake lines correctly or figure out which wheel cylinder goes where or something else? I have found that the terms “top” and “bottom” gets confusing when talking about the cylinders because people use those terms inconsistently, and even vendors are inconsistent. The above diagram is a really good one. The red corresponds to the adjusters. Also use the FSM and coolerman’s website for good pictures as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom