Drove With Torsion Bar Loose, Problems? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I had a shop install lower control arms and do an alignment. When I got home (15 miles) I saw that the driver's side torsion bar bolts weren't even finger tight. Could this have caused any damage to the torsion bar, lower control arm, bolts, or nuts? The wheel was also not straight... I was having to keep it very slightly, but noticeably, turned to the left to go straight. I'm just a little upset with the job at this point...

k.jpg

k2.jpg

i think the only thing that could be compromised is the threads on the bolts. I dont see how any other damage could have resulted.

That was my thinking as well. Just glad I caught it. Thanks for the reply.

The slop Could’ve wallowed out the holes in the LCA and frame a little, but probably not enough to cause slop after torqued down to spec.

Good news is now you can sleep well knowing you‘ve torqued those nuts to spec yourself.

Good news is now you can sleep well knowing you‘ve torqued those nuts to spec yourself.
Bad news is the OP doesn't know every fastener the shop touched and could have left loose...

Bad news is the OP doesn't know every fastener the shop touched and could have left loose...

Well, I took it back up there so I could get everything torqued down and a re-alignment. All they touched was lower control arms and did an alignment, so I'm going to check everything tonight and make sure they figured it out the second time around.

edit: I torqued the loose bolts down before going back

1. Good on you for looking your truck over after a service, regardless of what was done. Should apply to an oil change all the same.

2. Don’t go back. I’m sure you’ve already settled on that.

3. Your suspensión is fine. Alignments react to fractions of degrees and it was definitely in that range, I can see how it would’ve given you a slight pull. Bolts were holding on enough to avoid catastrophe but just before that is fine. As someone mentioned, your threads may have boogered, but since it’s been reassembled I’d just let that be.

4. If you’re good enough to go over everything they would’ve touched, that’s next. Everything. Otherwise find another shop (verify it’s skillset) and have them inspect it. Ideally this would be your next shop for the near future.

#4 is what would let me sleep more soundly if I was in this situation. YMMV.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom