Drove the 80 all the way down Baja.. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Santa Barbara, CA USA + Todos Santos, BCS, Mexico
Website
www.johnalex.net
Highway miles mostly. 150 miles of salt flats, deep sand and the occasional rocky section. The Harbor Freight trailer did its job with the BMW GS. Carried extra gas but mostly for peace of mind.
The ARB compressor help re-air the tires quite nicely even though I never got around to mounting it. All the base lining over the past 6-8 months got tested out.
Dodged Hurricane Norberto. Some wind, a bit of light rain but no issues. Turns out the storm turned right into the path we were on half a day after our transit.
She's all covered up for a while now. Can't wait to get back.

1410292734226.jpg

1410292767548.jpg

1410292786618.jpg

Last edited:
Nice :cool:

People seem to talk about security on the border and down into Mexico. Any trouble with that?

That's actually one of my dream vacations. Sadly, living on the east coast it'll probably never happen.

I was reading recently about Baja and the Sea of Cortez being a nearly perfect self contained ecosystem with some of the best fishing in the world. Marlin, Tuna, Sailfish, etc.

Any more pics?

Last edited:
Good for you bro it looks like a great trip its really cool to see guys getting out there and making these kind of trips.

Prepping the fzj80 for a trip to San Ignacio in February. Any tips?

...via IH8MUD app

Awesome! Looks like good waves out there. I just got a white '93 and hope to have that thing out on the beach here in the east coast ASAP. Looks like a rad trip!

People seem to talk about security on the border and down into Mexico. Any trouble with that?

Wouldn't worry about it. The media blows it out of proportion. I go several times a month, never have any issues but you do need to know where to avoid (One being in downtown TJ at 2am). As far as the border, getting down is very easy. As you know, don't bring any loaded guns or else you're gonna go to jail for a long time. Other than that, the cops have cleaned up a lot over the past 5 years. They used to be really bad in the 70s and 80s. The state needs tourism and they have employed more cops to ensure Americans feel safe.

I can say that it is literally my favorite place in the world. I've been going before I was born in my momma's belly and still go as much as possible. :)

That's actually one of my dream vacations. Sadly, living on the east coast it'll probably never happen.

I was reading recently about Baja and the Sea of Cortez being a nearly perfect self contained ecosystem with some of the best fishing in the world. Marlin, Tuna, Sailfish, etc.

Any more pics?

Yep all those do exist but the fishing has been impacted. I know a lot of old timers who have seen the decrease in all fish. Roosters being the main one. This year wasn't good on the Cortez in general, but pacific season was amazing. We're seeing warmer temps (+5f than average). Many friends have been seeing more yellowtail, dorado and tuna than ever before right here off of SD and Baja Norte.

Have fun!? ;) Make sure to gas up between El Roasrio and Villa Jesus Maria. There are no gas stations...just long empty desert ;)

You don't travel with a pistol?

You don't travel with a pistol?

Not in Baja. Firearms are a big no-no. Look at the Ex-marine down there. They take their gun laws extremely seriously.

BTW, sorry for totally hijacking your thread OP.... I can't shut up about Baja ... Favorite place in the world!

JohnAlex -- Is that a picture of San Juanico post Marie??!! I heard the sand was pulled out and screwed up, but dang!!! : (

Looks like we've got another one coming up. Still early...

Last edited:
Many items here.

Q. Travel with a pistol?
A. Why?

Q. Bahia de Los Angeles.
A. Went there a few years ago to swim with the whale sharks. One of the most amazing days of my life.

Q. San Juanico post Marie.
A. Yes. The bottom is quite rearranged. No surf at the point on Punta Dos. Surf is now in the middle.
Punta Tres is not working at all right now.
In Todos Santos there are 15' cliffs of sand in places. It will all come back in short order.

Q. Fish.
A. A few guys in our group went out for half a day with a local guy. Came back with Dorado and Yellow Fin Tuna. Yum.
There were Dorados swimming under me once on a wave I caught. 3 shimmering rainbows. Quite electric they are.

Yeah, always gas up at El Rosario. We did not and were on reserve by the time the Pemex north of Guerrero Negro came up.

Last edited:

...via IH8MUD app

The pic with the colorful water is in the San Ignacio Lagoon Salt flats.
Just the gas up in El Rosario suggestion.
And, if you have not been on those salt flats before, avoid anything that looks moist.
Especially if there are no recent tire tracks. Rule of thumb-always stay as close to the east side as you can.
If you are going to whale watch have fun. They are simply awe inspiring.
San Ignacio is a little gem. Off the main road so you have to go looking for it.
We always stay at Rice & Beans but there are yurts in the Palm Huerta by the lago crossing that are supposed to be really nice.

This is definitely a trip I have to do. Once my boys are older I will definitely be doing this.

Enjoy it down there. I haven't driven down to BCS since 2009...I try every year but haven't been able to get the time!

Are you guys going to be down for a while!? That next storm track is looking ominous.

Enjoy it down there. I haven't driven down to BCS since 2009...I try every year but haven't been able to get the time!

Are you guys going to be down for a while!? That next storm track is looking ominous.

We stayed for 10 days total. My buddy and I flew back as the 80 got to stay in Todos Santos along with the BMW dirt bike. Back in December.
Yes, Odile is marching along on a pace to hit this weekend. A lot of storms this summer. South of San Juanico the desert is green and lush. All the rain will really help with the drought they were having down there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom