drop pitman arm (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I think if you get a dropped pitman arm you will increase bump steer due to the steering arm and panhard rod not been on the same plane.. You are better of going high steer, JMAC diff and gear in Sydney make these...

Any of the drop arms made for the FJ60/ IFS box will work... Stock FJ60 pitman arms have about 1.5" more drop than FJ80 arms. Might need to be reamed for FJ80 TRE taper though...

Check Sky Manufacturing, OTT etc...

Not sure why you'd want one with a stock link setup...

Well, Bailey I beg to differ. I had both an FZJ-80 and a FJ-60 arm in hand and the drop was just about exactly the same. If there was absolutely any difference it sure wasn't enough to justify the effort.

You are better off joining the crowd of folks that are attempting to do some high steer, although you really don't have a lot of metal on the top of the 80-series knuckle housing to do anything with. Good luck.

I don't know how to explain it, but heres the FJ60 arm that came with my FJ60 box, and the '97 FZJ80 pitman that I used. This is all on my FJ40.
IMG_4206 (Medium).JPG

Photochop! :grinpimp:

well, that sure looks like a 1" or better difference. dunno what to say.

I think if you get a dropped pitman arm you will increase bump steer due to the steering arm and panhard rod not been on the same plane.. You are better of going high steer, JMAC diff and gear in Sydney make these...

Actually if you weld on a extension to the panhard rods mounting point to drop it an equal amount it works good. One could also raise the axle end of the panhard or split the difference and move them both..

A really big lift would gain the most since the angles of the panhard and steering link have changed so much. Bringing the angles of both closer to stock will be a good thing for handeling.

We have been looking at options, now we have 700mm [27.5"] long front shocks for 80, the tie rods arent liking all the extra droop.

We have aleready worked out how to lift the diff end of the panhard rod, just need to improve the steering arm angle.

Will have to check a RHD 60 vs 80.

If I can think of anything I will let you know.

A high steer type bracket on the ps knuckle just to lift the drag link attatchment point and leave the rest alone might be the ticket.

Only prob is most arm mfgs dont recommend street use.

Maybe a female+ male spined extension shaft to drop the pitman arm?

Draw back to a droped pitman is increased leverage on the steering box output shaft.. Enought to hurt it.. dont know..

Do know your project has me thinking 37x12.50r16 trxus mts.

how about just droping the steering box? The way it's on the frame sure makes it look possible.

I don't know how to explain it, but heres the FJ60 arm that came with my FJ60 box, and the '97 FZJ80 pitman that I used. This is all on my FJ40.

Any FJ60 owners out there who could verify that this is indeed the factory pitman arm for the FJ60 box?

how about just droping the steering box? The way it's on the frame sure makes it look possible.

not that easy .. coz part of the box rest over the frame ..

Any FJ60 owners out there who could verify that this is indeed the factory pitman arm for the FJ60 box?

Cruisin Ga's pic is correct.

The 60 arm has about 1" inch of droop compared to the 80 arm.

I have an xtra 60 arm if you want to trade your 80 arm for it...

Pm me if interested.....

Cruisin Ga's pic is correct.

The 60 arm has about 1" inch of droop compared to the 80 arm.

I have an xtra 60 arm if you want to trade your 80 arm for it...

Pm me if interested.....

Pm'd you.

There are lots of aftermarket suppliers for drop IFS toyota arms as well...

All will work with the 60/70/80 series boxes.

then we just need a drop bracket for the front panhard .. :)

Do you have to ream for 80 series tie rods then? If so, how?

Drop pitman arm and panhard solution for 80 series

We will be working on a solution for this. If anyone is interested in a group buy on a drop pitman arm, and equal distance drop bracket for the panhard bar as a set, email me. If I get enough interest to invest in the tooling - maybe we can produce a kit. It is true that you want to keep your steering arm and panhard bar on the same plane or you will create bump-steer issues. For mega-big lifts you could do a combo setup of the drop pitman and panhard drop on the frame side with the high steer setup on the axle side. If interested in a complete kit, email me. :wrench: www.extremelandcruiser.com

Last edited:
You might want to think about offering it to fit the new 105-series sector shafts too. Quite a few folks are finally noticing the twisted spines on them and looking for an upgrade. I would think especially true with any tires bigger than 37's. Good luck :cheers:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom