Drop/extended bumper for Maryland inspection? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I’m not sure if anyone here has had experience with this, but could a metal tube extension / drop down get added to an existing steel bumper to get me where I need to be with bumper height? I need to get to 28 inches.

I’ve decided I want to sell both my trucks and get a nicely built 60 series for family adventures, camping trips, more exciting commutes (!) and maybe even the occasional club wheeling weekend.

Timing was bad on one truck and the other was just a bit too industrial (it had a 4bt swap). Now I’m considering the once unthinkable option of hopping on a plane and driving one home if I can get the price where it needs to be.

There’s one concern that I’ve had with all three of these trucks. Maryland’s bumper height laws! Initially I’d probably just slap street rod tags on it to get it home but sooner than later it would be nice to get regular tags so I don’t worry about getting pulled over and cited. Anyone have experience with this?

@TRFCSUX has a nicely built FJ60/62 he has been looking sell..
3FE, H55F, Toybox, chromo front and rear axles, full float rear axles, BMW (I think) seats, 35's, with 37 available too. All that with a bumper height under 28" and right around the corner...

If you don't get Steve's truck and need to deal with bumper height, check-in with Sebastian or John Smith. If I recall correctly, they had a easily bolt-on drop rear bumper on a mini truck with a flat bed (John sold it to Seb). It was either a bumper or a mudflap bracket.... ?

I reached out to Steve. I remember Seb’s truck and the bumper. I also remember the fender flares he made for it for next to nothing (and they looked good!)

I guess I’ve always loved the look of big fj60s.

I haven’t heard of anyone having an issue for years. I mean like ten or twelve years. Maybe just find a diff inspection station. How high is your bumper anyway ?

I’ve decided I want to sell both my trucks and get a nicely built 60 series

Before flying anywhere, you should really take a look at Steve's truck. It's local, well built, trail (as well as long distance highway) proven, and may be just what you're looking for.

MD does bottom of the bumper and can also do frame height though I believe it is worded that frame height is only used if there is no rear bumper. Pick up trucks aren’t required to have a rear bumper.

Steve’s truck does seem to check all the boxes. We’ve communicated and I’m definatly interested in checking it out.

I see so many almost fenderless Jeeps rolling around I really question how much I’d need to worry with street rod tags. The Cummins powered truck I test drove had historic tags and quite a bit of tire outside the fender and he said he’d never run into issues.

I did see something from when they tweaked the historic tag laws here a couple years ago and it sounds like repair orders can only be cited by the roadside for 1986 and newer vehicles. Not sure if that means they just write me a ticket or I’m free to run whatever... it’s odd how vague it all is.

I haven’t heard of anyone having an issue for years. I mean like ten or twelve years. Maybe just find a diff inspection station. How high is your bumper anyway ?

I’ve snoozed a little on it and there’s a prospective buyer in front of me in line right now. Mid frame height is 28 but bumper height is a few inches higher. It’s a big ass fj60. I need to be a faster decider I guess

You snooze...

Go see Steve's truck.

If I already didn't have too many vehicles, I'd buy it myself. :steer:

Hey guys thanks for the kindness but I believe my truck is spoken for. Should be sold after we return from our adventure.

Yeah. I was dancing around that in case you were keeping it in the DL

Wait, is @fjman buying it?

If so...awesome!

You only need to get it through inspection once. Put tiny tires on it, and it should pass, unless it is really lifted. While not "tiny", I have some 31s you could borrow. Sebastien may even have smaller tires. He used to have quite the collection. Then you just need to deal with individual LEO who may have issues with jacked up trucks, and pull you over. Because so many people now are lifting late model jeeps and pickups, it seems to not be such an issue like it was 20 years ago. I see tons of pickups and jeeps with lifts recently than years ago. Don't be an aggressive/speeding driver, and stay out of the left lane, and you probably have nothing to worry about.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom