Driving up to Maine from NJ (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey,
I'm planning on loading up the 80 and driving up to Maine this August. I have about a week to 10 days to screw around up there. I'll probably do some camping in Acadia, try to get out on a fishing boat, and eat a sh-t load of lobster. Anybody from up there that can recommend places to see/things to do? There's a lobster fest and a jazz fest in August...worth checking out? I'd be content hanging out throwing back beers, but I have to make the trip attractive to the other half.

Thanks,
Ryan

Ryan,

I am from TN, but did a New England trip which included Acadia National Park. Plan on spending at least one day there, great sites. Watch out for the Moose.... The lobster is everywhere in Maine, and buy it off the boat, if you will have the necessities to cook it yourself. Have a great trip, it is beautiful there.

Grouseman

Ryan,
I drove up to Acadia when I was living in New Haven, Ct and it took me 10 hours to drive up the Shoreline route (you rarely see the shore) and only about five hours to drive home on the highway. It may be worth it though to check out the Maine State Prison Store!!! Cool handmade wood products by prisoners. There are plenty of lighthouses around Acadia to check out. I went during Thanksgiving holiday and the only boat ride I could find was the ferry (still pretty cool). It was about 10 degrees in my tent. Had the best Clam Chowder of my life in Bar Harbor (at a dive in town) and the worst lobster ever at a ocean-side local joint (go figure?) It is definatley worth the trip! Have fun.
Matt

P.S. Hike to the top of Cadillac...instead of driving. You'll appreciate the view more (awesome view).

Be sure and stop in Camden Maine - nice harbor town. They have a nice campground just outside of town on rte 1.Hike to the top of the Mt there for killer 360 views. Maine has many side roads and little coves - take the time to explore some of these less popular coves and enjoy the natural settings. In maine you cant miss for beauty - "Maine - the way life should be"

BTW - Bring warm clothes!

Thanks for the info. My girlfriend and I are into hiking and camping so Acadia is a must. We plan on taking in a fair amount of historical sites as well...she's a social studies teacher. I went to school in New England (Boston) and I fell in love with the architecture and just the overall feeling of tradition/patriotism/history. I have a buddy from western Mass. who lives in a house over 200 years old. Needless to say Maine will be a good time for both of us. My girlfiend thinks I crazy because I'm just as excited to to the PM for the truck as I am to go to friggin Maine. I have a sickness.

Cheers.

Ryan,

Acadia is the schnitz. I can easily spend a week at a time in Blackwoods. The rangers at Blackwood also put on nightly seminars which are pretty good. There are a number of nice hiking paths (Jordan Pond, Cadillac, etc.) and the Carriage Paths are great for bike riding--so bring your bikes (or you can rent them downtown).

There are some great locations around the island. Southwest Harbor is my favorite (home of Hinkley Yachts). Stop at the visitors center on the way in and pick up the literature--there's lots to do and see.

I am from Kennebunkport ME, but now live in CT. Boothbay is a great place to stop by on your way up to Arcadia. Real relaxing and a good place to grab a beer or three. On your way there stop at Reds, they claim to have the best lobster roll in the world and the line proves it. You can find a B&B pretty cheap. If you like to surf you need to stop in southern ME - York, Ogunquit (be careful here - gay town, but good surf), and Wells. Kennebunk Port has some good swells if it is stormy. Definiatly make your way up the coast via rt 1. If you want rural ME, towns like Cape Porpose is quite nice.

If the :princess: makes you stop in Freeport to shop (LL Bean, etc.) head down the hill to Harraseeket Lunch. Touristy, but you can get a decent lunch there.

I head to a really small town on Deer Island every summer, Stonington. One of the busiest lobster towns in the world. But a very quiet town. Buy the lobster right off the boat.

Mount Katahdin in Baxter State Park is cool. If you play golf, the course at Sugarloaf Ski Area is nice. Downtown Portland is cool too. Have fun. :cheers:

We (Me, wife & kids) are heading to Maine this August also. My wife is from Farmington (West ME) & I have a lot of family in Machias (East ME).

I'll be driving my Cruiser out and want to try a little wheelin'/explorin' while I'm there.

Stop in New Haven, CT on Wooster Street for Italian food :D

Go to Tre Scalini, Tony and Lucille's (both are higher priced nice restaurants)Pepe's Apizza or hop over to Modern Apizza on State St for pies.

willmaxr said:
If the :princess: makes you stop in Freeport to shop (LL Bean, etc.) head down the hill to Harraseeket Lunch. Touristy, but you can get a decent lunch there.

:

I can echo that. Wife & I were in Maine 2 summers ago. It was my idea to goto LL Bean as I hadn't been there since the 70's. Back then it was a small store in the basement of the boot factory. Boy times have changed. The Harraseeket lobster lunch was also my idea to remember the 70's.

Other highlights from our trip not already mentioned

If you're a map junkie like me goto Yarmouth Me and fisit the home of Delorme http://www.delorme.com/

Camden Me - great coastal town - eat at cappy's http://www.cappyschowder.com/ - it's where the locals told us they go to eat - a line out the front door = good sign = worth the wait.

we took the ferry to Nova Scotia http://www.catferry.com/ and continued our trip there.

Ditto the harraseekett tip....Another tip...BYOB

Fochdog said:
We (Me, wife & kids) are heading to Maine this August also. My wife is from Farmington (West ME) & I have a lot of family in Machias (East ME).

I'll be driving my Cruiser out and want to try a little wheelin'/explorin' while I'm there.

Foch - Did your wife go to UMF?

Thanks for the advice

I just wanted to thank everyone for helping me plan my trip. We camped two nights in Camden Hills State Park. then drove up rt 1 stopping along the way just to check things out. We ate at Reds and Cappy's (thanks for the recommendations). The food was great. We ended up in Bar Harbor for three nights. Acadia was amazing. If anyone goes up there, make sure you eat in the park. There's a place that serves pop-overs, and I highly recommend breaking for lunch there. My girlfriend and I are already talking about heading back to Maine this fall. Thanks again.

Oh yeah, and the LC cruised at 85 the whole way. I don't keep mileage stats or anything, but it wasn't too bad on the wallet. Just before I left I changed all fluids including a flush of the cooling system. It's nice to go on a trip like that with a dependable vehicle.

I'll posts some pics when I get a chance.

-Ryan

Ryan,

Next time you go you ought to go at the end of the first to middle of the second week in October. There is nothing as beautiful as that area.. Nothing...

Grouseman

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom