DRIVING TO ALASKA/INNUVIK (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey ladies and gentlemen,

I have this itch to drive up north this summer.
Looking at driving all the way up to Innuvik and then driving down to Anchorage.
It may be a pipe dream, but it seems doable. I have been looking at some planning for it, which routes to take, estimating time, etc. thinking of allocating 3 weeks.

This seems like a decent base resource for planning. North to Alaska

Has anyone ventured out there before? Any advice on times to go, routes to take, any tips?

let me know!

I am already jealous.

Don't underestimate the distances and driving times on this trip..... Calgary is half-way between anchorage and Key West Florida. 3 weeks minimum, more time is better. After Whitecourt, it's 2 lane travel full of Winnebago's and frost heaves and perpetual road construction... there's no moving fast! Go in June/July. The nearly perpetual light is spectacular.
Take the top of the world highway. Drive in to McCarthy and visit the old Kennecott mine. Drive through the Whittier Tunnel into Whittier and check out the old Buckner building. Order a tall stack of sourdough pancakes at the Sourdough campground in Tok. Join a crabbing boat crew and spend a season catching king crab on the high seas.

Order a tall stack of sourdough pancakes at the Sourdough campground in Tok. Join a crabbing boat crew and spend a season catching king crab on the high seas.

I'd be down for that, beats the office any day.

Don't underestimate the distances and driving times on this trip..... Calgary is half-way between anchorage and Key West Florida. 3 weeks minimum, more time is better.

This is something that has become an increasing realization, is how easy it would be to underestimate the distances.
I don't see the a trip to Inuvik, to come down and into anchorage realistic as far as timing goes, It may make more sense to pick one or the other. 3 weeks is all I can afford for time, taking 1 week unpaid, I mean unless I win the lottomax, but you gotta play to win.

July is the programmed time of travel, around mid july.

thanks for the advice, I will continue to work on this and see what can work out. you only live once, no?

The Dempster is 735 km from fuel station at the turn off to Inuvik. You can get fuel at Eagle Plains, exactly
half way. It's a good road. In July you can take the northern entrance into Alaska, not the Alaska Hwy
way. I dont' remember what it's called off the top of my head.
If you can get into Denali Park, take the tour. I've heard it's spectacular +!
I was there 2 years ago, I'm going back in August for 3-4 weeks.
Note: Do not show up at Alaska border with firearms. ATF is not friendly.

I am already jealous.

Don't underestimate the distances and driving times on this trip..... Calgary is half-way between anchorage and Key West Florida. 3 weeks minimum, more time is better. After Whitecourt, it's 2 lane travel full of Winnebago's and frost heaves and perpetual road construction... there's no moving fast! Go in June/July. The nearly perpetual light is spectacular.

It is divided highway from whitecourt all the way to the other side of Grande Prairie. That section is really only 3-4 hours. Just near my place is where it turns to two lane. I have spent hundreds of hours driving big trucks on the first three hundred miles of the alaska highway. The winnebagos and road construction aren't that bad. The frost heaves usually are. But what you really spend most of your time contending with is the large truck traffic for the oil field which regularly slows to 40 or 50kph going up and down hills. By which I mean, all the time. The whole highway is some pretty gnarly hills and views. What you really need to look out for is the jacked up pickup trucks who will blow past at 120, 130 on blind turns and hill crests. I've seen more accidents than I care to think about.

Drive defensively! Once you get past Fort Nelson the traffic should be significantly better.

It's not the distances as much as stopping to see the sights. After Ft Nelson Stone Mtn Park, Muncho Lake, make sure
you stop with a fly rod on the Tetsa River and look for big Grayling in the fast water. Liard Hot Springs is kinda mandatory.
Out of Whitehorse, Tahkini Hot Springs is special, not so much in July as opposed to -40C in winter.
South and North Canol Roads are rough, but worth a look.

It's not the distances as much as stopping to see the sights. After Ft Nelson Stone Mtn Park, Muncho Lake, make sure
you stop with a fly rod on the Tetsa River and look for big Grayling in the fast water. Liard Hot Springs is kinda mandatory.
Out of Whitehorse, Tahkini Hot Springs is special, not so much in July as opposed to -40C in winter.
South and North Canol Roads are rough, but worth a look.

I guess I have to learn how to fly fish...

thanks for the advice

This is the route I have planned out. It hits the entire driveable length of the Canol road, as well as the Campbell highway and the Dempster highway.

https://www.google.ca/maps/dir/Edmo...155d!2m2!1d-113.4909267!2d53.544389!3e0?hl=en

I am not sure when I will do the trip, but I will likely be limited to three weeks. Using weekends this would allow for 23 days for the trip. When you remember that the total distance is about 7000 km there is a lot of ground to cover. Edmonton to Fort Nelson is just over 1000 km, so my plan was to wind out my truck and do that leg in one day at both ends of the trip. That then leaves about 5000 km to cover in 21 days, an average of about 240 km per day.

I have never been that far north and I don,t know if 240 km per day is reasonable. It may be possible, but you could miss the best parts, or it may not be possible due to road conditions. I have estimated that about 4500 km of the 7000 km mapped out is on gravel roads.

This is the route I have planned out. It hits the entire driveable length of the Canol road, as well as the Campbell highway and the Dempster highway.

https://www.google.ca/maps/dir/Edmo...155d!2m2!1d-113.4909267!2d53.544389!3e0?hl=en

I am not sure when I will do the trip, but I will likely be limited to three weeks. Using weekends this would allow for 23 days for the trip. When you remember that the total distance is about 7000 km there is a lot of ground to cover. Edmonton to Fort Nelson is just over 1000 km, so my plan was to wind out my truck and do that leg in one day at both ends of the trip. That then leaves about 5000 km to cover in 21 days, an average of about 240 km per day.

I have never been that far north and I don,t know if 240 km per day is reasonable. It may be possible, but you could miss the best parts, or it may not be possible due to road conditions. I have estimated that about 4500 km of the 7000 km mapped out is on gravel roads.

thanks for the input Terry

Oh yeah, south end (first 100 km of Dempster) Tombstone Park. Look it up, plan to stop at least.
I've driven the Dempster in a day, in winter. Doable, actually started in Whitehorse, but long day.
That's about 1200 km.

Just an update - life has moved fast the last 4 weeks- currently on a version of this trip. Heading north now, in this moment.

Any further advice is appreciated I think I won't make it to anochrage but will go to the Hotsprings and then to Juneau. All TBD.

I made an open instagram for this to keep most interested parties informed the easiest way possible, if interested- overlandexplore . Also if interested there's a copilot seat available for those with air miles that want to meet me somewhere :)

Still going to Inuvik? I have found out the road to Tuk isn't going to be ready to go until into late fall.
I'm 3 weeks from heading up myself. Maybe we pass along the way. Have a good trip.

Still going to Inuvik? I have found out the road to Tuk isn't going to be ready to go until into late fall.
I'm 3 weeks from heading up myself. Maybe we pass along the way. Have a good trip.

The pull you Tuk were the sourdough pancakes.

Drop me a line, not sure how cellphone will be.

As a side note, the # the club has of mine does not work in these parts- I have a different number for this trip.

Good for you! You pulled the trigger, have an awesome journey!

Good for you! You pulled the trigger, have an awesome journey!

thanks man- I'm going to see how I do on the road if I like it I'll keep going if I don't I'll come back early. this type of solitude is different.

thanks man- I'm going to see how I do on the road if I like it I'll keep going if I don't I'll come back early. this type of solitude is different.
You solo?

Sometimes the solitude trips are just the ticket!!
Have a great trip buddy, will have to see you when you are back and hear all about it!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom