driving on beach sand (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
did a search and didn't find this topic.

Besides always wanting one, the other reason I bought my 80 was for driving on the miles of beaches we have here on Nantucket. Below I will link up a feature "Cruiser Solutions" did on Nantucket.

I ran the tire pressure in my Jeeps all the way down to 12 to get the biggest footprint for the best traction. Im a little concerned with going to low on the Cruiser because of the weight of the vehicle. The previous owner just put on 4 new OE Michelin LTX's and these should be ideal, don't want any aggresive tread patterns to dig any holes. Any rec. on a good tire pressure for soft sand?

nanvaca20.jpg

http://www.cruisersolutions.com/nantucket2005.html

I just bought an LC with new Michelins on it, too, so I'll be interested in those tire-pressure recommendations -- for washes out in the desert. Meanwhile, can I have that pickup?

Based on my experience four-wheeling in the sands of the Outer Banks, I would suggest dropping your tire pressures to about 21 or 22 psi. If it seems that the sand is particularly soft and deep you can drop it down to 15 psi or so.

Nantucket,
I ran about 8-10 pounds last year at suf n turf on my bfg AT 31" tires without a problem ("low rider" as some of those in attendance called it). I wouldn't recommend going that low as it was rather unnecessary looking back (you totally could), I will probably go with about 15-18 pounds this year.
I would not be concerned with the weight of the rig versus the tire pressure even if you are packing on a significant amount of accessories i.e. front rear bumper, winch, loaded roof rack, jerry cans, loaded cargo bay and passengers. I just wouldn't be pulling turns at high speeds in order to prevent rolling a bead. I had a full back seat of friends and driving some what aggressively last year, and it all worked out.

So in my opinion, drop the t/p to whatever toots your horn and enjoy, just be careful of making sharp turns on the sand with a very low set tire pressure.

I hope I've helped.

Sam

I had a great experience driving with stock street LTXs down to about 15 psi in sand dunes at SnT. Never missed a beat, nowhere close to getting stuck.

I would like to hear some folks telling us about their experience with more aggressive tires, though. I am running MT/Rs now. Should I put back the street tires to go to SnT? It'll break my heart to remove the lovely MT/Rs but I would do it if it makes a big diff in sand... :D

Lucky you. We only get Chappaquidick to drive on here on Martha's Vineyard. I've gone down to 10psi in the 100 without any problems and that's with MTRs. Don't think I'd wanna go much lower than that.

Damn, those Nantucket pix are sweet.

Oh, and welcome. :flipoff2:

e9999 said:
I would like to hear some folks telling us about their experience with more aggressive tires, though. I am running MT/Rs now. Should I put back the street tires to go to SnT? It'll break my heart to remove the lovely MT/Rs but I would do it if it makes a big diff in sand... :D

i could fill a book with stories of people getting stuck in the soft sand because of mud, and or aggresive off road tread patterns. I had to be careful with the BFG AT's on my jeep. its the stopping and starting that do people in. They come to a complete stop, then gas it to get going, which digs a hole up to the axles quicker than you can blink. I think so long as you air down those MT/R's to maximize the footprint, and don't go crazy on the throttle, you will be oK. Have to say though, the street tires are far superior in the soft sand.

I have yet to have any problem with my MTRs. (knock on wood)

Most of the guys I see stuck are usually not aired down, not in low range and like you stated, gunnin' the throttle. It's always good fun to roll by guys in X5s and MDXs spinning their wheels. Not sure why they allow AWD vehicles on the beach anyway.

Nantucket_LC said:
i could fill a book with stories of people getting stuck in the soft sand because of mud, and or aggresive off road tread patterns. I had to be careful with the BFG AT's on my jeep. its the stopping and starting that do people in. They come to a complete stop, then gas it to get going, which digs a hole up to the axles quicker than you can blink. I think so long as you air down those MT/R's to maximize the footprint, and don't go crazy on the throttle, you will be oK. Have to say though, the street tires are far superior in the soft sand.

well, we got the superlative 2nd button...!

macneill said:
I have yet to have any problem with my MTRs. (knock on wood)

Most of the guys I see stuck are usually not aired down, not in low range and like you stated, gunnin' the throttle. It's always good fun to roll by guys in X5s and MDXs spinning their wheels. Not sure why they allow AWD vehicles on the beach anyway.

why would you want to be in low range? doesn't look like a good idea to me..

Eric,

I had brand new Revo's on last year at SnT at 15psi w/o any issues at all.

i think what mac meant was once they start loosing forward momentum, they are to stupid to put into low and creep out, they just keep gunning it and digging a bigger hole :doh:

Some may disagree, but the gearing in high is too tall to overcome the resistance of the sand and really lugs the engine.

e9999 said:
why would you want to be in low range? doesn't look like a good idea to me..

Brentbba said:
Eric,

I had brand new Revo's on last year at SnT at 15psi w/o any issues at all.

yea, but Revos are like street tires compared to MT/Rs... :D

macneill said:
Some may disagree, but the gearing in high is too tall to overcome the resistance of the sand and really lugs the engine.

well, at SnT I ended up using High all the time and never had a problem.
I would guess that in low, the extra torque is enough to get you dug in faster

Little OT, but let's not forget to WASH WASH WASH ALL the sand off when we're done. That stuff gets everywhere and kills everything.

IH8SAND,

Curtis

I'm not familiar with Surf n Turf's conditions, but I'm used to the real soft deep stuff. On anything packed, I could see high being perfect.

e9999 said:
well, at SnT I ended up using High all the time and never had a problem.
I would guess that in low, the extra torque is enough to get you dug in faster

CJF said:
Little OT, but let's not forget to WASH WASH WASH ALL the sand off when we're done. That stuff gets everywhere and kills everything.

IH8SAND,

Curtis

you should see the undercarraige of some of the 5 year old vehicles out here! its a triple whammy, salt/sand on the roads in the winter, driving on the beach in the summer, and constant year 'round humidity from the surrounding waters, egads! :eek:

I ran my LTX's at 18-20lbs up front and in the rear on my Tacoma. They handled in the sand much better than my BFG's. Less aggressive, didnt dig. Rather floated on top. Same truck, BFG AT's and had to really feather the throttle on accellerating to avoid digging. They didnt float on top as well as the LTX's did. When you let off the throttle, I could feel the front end drop from the lugs digging through. I think the MTRs would dig quite a bit as well. The aggressive tread also makes people think more with their feet than with their brains out there, which usually causes their hopes to sink as fast as their truck

The only problem about going lower than 15 is you really have to be careful of your speed. One good drop or lip at that pressure at speed can pop it off the bead.

Somethin an ole salty told me on Cape Lookout (where youre a ferry ride, 5 hours and $700.00 from the nearest tow truck) is match your psi to your speed. (down to 10 or so).

I dont have a winch, so I don't go absolutely crazy running around out on the sand. Expedition beach running.

My beach runnin recovery kit consists of the following:

High lift jack, with a spreader base. Without that brace, your jack is just gonna dig itself in. You can also use your spare with a cut 4x4 block and a piece of plywood spread across it.

2 snatch ropes and a couple of threaded couplers. You might need that extra 25 ft.....or an extra vehicle to connect to.

Gloves. two pair. One leather, one mechanics. That sand can get hot in July...

A pair of jeans to slip on if the sand is blazin hot....id rather sweat than burn. Kneepads would also work

At least one shovel. Get the best handles you can find. Cheap handles always seem to show themselves when youre up to the running boards with an incoming tide..I have one narrow blade, and one curved fat blade.

At least one 5 gallon bucket. If youre going there to fish, youre gonna have one. The easiest way to get traction on dry beach sand is to add a little bit of water.

Old carpet scraps or carpet runners. 18-24 inches wide, 4-6 ft long. You can use these after you jack up and backfill your trenches. Slip the runners underneath and roll forward on them. Even floor mats can be used, but they arent quite as effective.

I've got some metal ladder rack that I use to mount my canopy to the truck that I can use as a last resort. 12ft long 12-18 inches wide. Would probably mangle it, but ya gotta do what ya gotta do... A hitch haul can also be used in an absolute pinch too.

At least a couple gallons of distilled water. Sooo many uses.......

10 gallon air tank at 125 psi. Might give you one shot to put a tire back on a bead if its off the truck. That small amount of air can also get you from 15-18 psi on all 4 tires.

Small dc powered air compressor. Even if you use it and burn it up, they are cheap and disposable.

At least one flashlight.

Maps and/or GPS/laptop. I try to get a park service map and mark my own trails on em, and highlight good spots, bad spots, and "Dont even think about it" spots.

Tidal chart pays dividends.....Some places are impassable at high tide.

The usual assortment of tools.

Duct tape, duct tape, duct tape....and electrical tape

Couple of flares. Make good firestarters if youre stuck overnight. can also be used to flag down some help.

Fishin poles and bait, cause if youre gonna be stuck on the beach for a while, ya might as well fish.........

http://www.pullpal.com/

The one really good recovery device I've seen for someone really stuck in loose low traction areas.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom