Driving Offroad and 4WD Techniques and How-To Resources (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Because those of us who own Land Cruisers have an incredibly capable vehicle - arguably more capable than many of us will ever realized - there are times when we want to venture off road. Some on the forum are very experienced at this. For example, those who have done the Moab and Ouray trips and other adventures shared here. Yet from time to time someone will post a question about how to use low range gearing or what tire pressures to use offroad or maybe ask about some of the specific offroad capabilities of the 200 series or what they need to do for an upcoming trip on sand or whatever.

So I thought I would start a thread where people can share some of the better instructional videos or places on the web where people can read about techniques, etc. Of course, there is nothing like actually doing that and especially with experience off roaders. But it is also good to go into it with some understanding of the techniques and the various systems in our vehicles that help us through "interesting" terrain. One of the best lessons I had with my Land Rover was when one of their trainers took me for an offroad drive to discuss and "play with" the various terrain modes, 4L and S-mode shifting. Just to better understanding what is going on and how these traction systems (e.g. CRAWL, Hill Descent, Multi-terrain mode) work as they leverage not only torque control but ABS and the gas pedal along with gearing.

I'll start things off with a website I was just looking at and add some more later. Interestingly, I find the better ones to not be from people driving Jeeps or highly modified vehicles but rather from people in Australia and other parts of the world where overlanding or just getting home in the Outback makes for interesting driving conditions.

Also, where recovery techniques, tools and best practices is a closely related and extremely important, I suggest making that a separate thread and keeping this one focused on the driving techniques.

http://4xoverland.com/how-do-4x4s-work/4x4-driving/ This guy is a bit of a character but some good, general information here. I was not able to view his how-to videos. Maybe I need to pay for a subscription with I am not willing to do. And if any of you attended the 2015 "mud bowl" Overland Expo West and would like to be remind of the conditions, check out his youtube video on that event. (This was where the Land Rover instructor taught me how to drive in mud. If you were there you'll know what that was appropriate!)

And here is a great series of videos from some folks in Australia. They are a bit older and using Land Rovers but the techniques and principles are the same. I think there are 4 vids in the series.

OK, I suggested that instruction about Jeeps may not apply but this next set of youtube videos is very good and more current. Plus, it has great views of Moab. Those who did the midnight ride in Moab last year may want to check the section around minute 5 in the first video ;) There is also a brief discussion about the use of 4Lo though I think the Land Rover vids to a better job of explaining those benefits. Another benefit of this video is that the terrain is much different - Moab rock crawling vs the mud of the Outback.

Who else has some great instructional resources for driving offroad and using 4WD?

Nice thread! With so many functions on the 200-series, there's a lot to learn to have the right techniques and operational knowledge on hand when the situation arises. Crawl control is up there in my mind to know how to operate when stuck as it can do some pretty special things like getting out of sand as posted above.

To use crawl, must:
1) be in L4
2) foot on brake
4) be to drive or reverse
5) push crawl button (engages crawl on dash)
4) release brake

Specific to AHC rigs, using crawl control in L4 will access extra high mode, which is 20mm higher (~1") than regular high mode. High mode is 50mm/60mm (F/R) higher than normal. Extra high is 70mm/80mm (F/R) higher than normal. That extra clearance might make all the difference if needed.

AHCliftheights.JPG

Great stuff. Thanks, All. Absolutely agree that it is very helpful, if not imperative, to understand what the various "system" things are doing. It also helps to see and then experience driving while thinking about thinks like traction, braking, vehicle clearance and "angles" and how they change in different situations and of course "gravity" and how it effects things going up vs going down. And so on.

@Sandroad, good point for those with AHS! Had that on my LR4 and it was very handy provided I understood what it was doing. ;)

Videos are great, but no substitute for real world experience. Untill you're with a more experienced driver you won't push your boundaries as far as you can. And take a course from a I4WDTA certified instructor. Bill Burke comes to mind.

The times that I really grew as a driver where when someone more experienced guided me how to get more out of the vehicle than I thought possible. Huge difference between theory and camera views outside the vehicle and actually manipulating the controls.

Also keep in mind that there are people out there very good at making videos that are not the best when it comes to actual technical driving. I4WDTA is a tough certification. Any of those instructors know their stuff. Their classes aren't cheap, but I guarantee you will remember what you learned for the rest of your driving career.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom