Driving my pig daily now! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Yes, it is true. I have driven my pig three days in a row now. :bounce: :bounce2: I have a few bugs to work out, but it is most cetainly drivable. In fact, I am so sure I will be driving it daily, that I actually took it off 'Non Op" and registered it today. Since it is a 1975, it is smog exempt in California :D So it is legal to drive. :cool:
Here are a few things I need to fix.
1. Exhaust leak where the exhaust pipe bolts up to the corvette exhaust manifold.
2. The cone cover for the output shaft on the TC is still leaking after removing it twice and smothering it with black silcone sealer!!
3. It takes forever to heat up from a cold start. Since this a TBI, I am not sure how to fix it.
4. Need to fix the blinker assembly in the steering wheel. I accidently broke it off. Anyone have a spare?

Question: I am running a 700r4 with stock 3 speed TC and gearing. At 60mph, it is turning about 2.3K rpms. Does that sound about right?

If I can get tweaked up and fix all this, Surf and Turf, here we come ;p

Might check the thermostat to get it to heat up quicker. Should only take a mile or two to start feeling heat from my experience.

The cruise RPM seems a little high too. Is the torque converter locking up in high gear? How do you have the lockup torque converter controled? The heat generated from not locking the converter can kill one of those transmissions. BTDT too. :rolleyes:

HTH,
Nick

What's the tire size and gear ratio? 4.10s with 35s?

With that set up and with the 700R4 being an OD, at 60 mph, a rpm calculator says you should be spinning 1653rpm.

Last edited:
1653 rpm at 60mph? Man that seems low? I am running 4.11 stock gears with 35" MTRs. The TBI computer controls the lockup on the tranny. Nothing to really let me know when it engages, if it is?

I think, the injectors are not operating properly. Which made think it was not warming up properly. Anyway, when I step on it, in any gear, it sputters quite a bit. I have another set of injectors I might try tomorrow and see if that makes any difference.

Today, I did make a couple of more modifications.

The first is a supra master cylinder form a 1986 4WD supra. 15/16" bore.
The second is a set of slider knobs from a mid 80s corolla which fit the heater controls on my pig perfectly. Got three sets at the pick and pull today.
supra master cylinder.JPG

Last edited:
After thinking about the 1.6k rpm at 60. I realized I am still having the same problem as before, my tranny is not shifting in 4th gear. The 1.6krpm at 60 is correct for third gear on the 700r4 which is 1.0 gear ratio. I am bummed.

Maybe the TV(?) cable is out of adjustment? Seems to me if the trans thinks you've got the motor running WOT then, unless it's from a Corvette, it won't shift into 4th gear. Or, the Vette trans is the only one that will do a full throttle upshift. If the trans thinks you're at full throttle, it ain't shiftin'! I think in the carb'd motors that was a cable from the carb to the trans. Not sure how the TBI system goes about this though.

Good luck with it...

Nick

cardinal, a little food for thought.

i run 4:10, 36" swamps, and stock 4 speed (1.1 4th)
at about 60 on the GPS (48 speedo) i am turning about 2300 rpm.
i typically cruise at 63mph (50 speedo) and 2500 rpm.
i sometimes take it up to 75mph (60speedo) and 2900rpm but the fuel consumtion really gets it at those speeds.

for the rear cone on the transfercase, did you grind a little groove in between the opening and the hole in the bottom where the hole is located? It will let the gear oil pass easier....

lookin' sweet...looks like pirate has a good tip on the TV cable...
bk

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom