Driving my 1st 62 cruiser to MT from KY cat converter? smog? what to do (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

wileycoyote

Watch this......
Threads
First post so please bare with me:
I just bought my first 1989 fj62 Land Cruiser that has 140,xxx miles on it. It seems to run fine and the guy I bought it off of said he had the transmission rebuilt ($1400) and brakes done. Thats it. The vehicle looks great and drives fine. I bought it for $5300. I seem to be averaging 11 mpg. Here is where I need your help. I am driving to MT from KY on June 3rd. Before I leave what should I do to cover my basis. I am not a mechanic only a guy that has a few tools, alot of free time, and a computer. I know I am going to change the spark plugs, wires, possibly cap and rotor. Time it. Should I take off the cat? smog? etc........ Any help or details that you can provide me with would be greatly appreciative. Any certain brand of something that I should or shouldn't buy when it comes to parts? In case you are wondering I am only driving this thing across the country because of a bet from my buddy or I would take my 08 cruiser. I have faith in my new 62. I just don't want to be caught off guard. Thanks in advance for any help/advice.
fj62 001.jpg

how does it drive so far?

to add to your list I would DEF. do the cap and rotor, possibly plug wires, change trans fluid, change rear diff fluid, replace fuel filter, replace all dryrot belts/hoses (if any exist)...

pics would help I am sure someone would see something else...

is this just a gentleman's bet, or is something actually on the line?

Congrats on owning a classic vehicle!

Odds are, you can drive it as is and be fine. Heck, people drive these all over the world, with less than optimum maintance, and they get where they are going...

That said, the most important things relate to fluids and brakes. Make sure your brakes are good (adequate thickness on the pads).

After that, it's all about fluids. Baselining is the term generally used on here...as in changing all fluids so you have a baseline...brake fluid, engine oil, transmision, transfer case, ft and rr axles, powersteering, coolent. Lots of fluids.

If you can, change all of them. If time or money is an issue, do oil first, then brake fluid flush. Transmission is next. Single best way to make this auto last as long as possible is to change the fluid way more often than recommended.

Last but not least...purchase AAA.

This 62 drives great. I have officially parked my 08 cruiser and have been running this full time. I love it! I just spent the past four hours on here reading forums. I guess I should have done that before I posted but live and learn. As far as the bet goes, proving to friends I don't have to have a new toy ie 08 to have fun or to make it to MT. I am not spoilt! I have to say, driving this 62 compared to the cruiser is like having an aquarium on wheels. I love it. Keep the info coming. Oh, I am looking for a roof rack to go on this thing so if you are anywhere between KY and MT, let me know what ya got. :)

A decent external transmission cooler

What kinda stupid screen name is that?

Oh wait ;)
Welcome to the madness!

Check the belt tension on all three belts. When I bought my cruiser it had aftermarket belts and they were all very, very loose, like 2 inches of play. They were too long, so, the pulleys were at the end of their adjustment. Keep them a little over 1/2 inch of play and the accessories should be happy. Also, the OEM belts are wider and they sit better on the pulleys.:wrench:

Where to buy parts: OEM @ the dealer. Not as expensive as it sounds, and much better quality stuff than some of the reman crap sold at the different discount stores.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom