Driving Lights (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm looking at installing a set of driving lights on my '97 80. I don't have a factory brush bar for mounting. Can a set of aux. lights be mounted to the factory bumper? A picture is worth a thousand words.
Thanks.

Eric,
If you'll do a search here or on the SOR archives (see link above) you'll find pics of an 80 that has some driving (fog?) lights mounted in the bumper where there are holes on each side for air vents or something. The lights were somewhat rectangular or oblong in shape.

I can't think of a keyword for you to try but I think they were PIAA lamps so that's a start.

You sure don't want no stinkin' brush bar though. :D

-B-

Here is my Cruiser pre-mod with fogs in the bumper. They are PIAAs.

Rogue,

Did you post another pic that was a close-up of the lights in the bumper? That's the one I'm thinking of.

-B-

B-

I think that Kit is who you are thinking of.

you know, the "switch flipper" :)

This is the install I did on my old 91, now its my bro's. I used the bolts that are visible on the top of the bumper. Was easy, just a pain to get the nut loose after many years. Before this set up I also mounted small lights in the bumper like the picture above. Just ask if you have any more questions.

-Matt

..ignore the 70s clothes, 70s day at hs or something

Matt,

There are no mountains in Texas! Is that a photoshop chop in the background? :D

-B-

I've got a set of Hella's largest lights mounted directly to the steel bumper. No flexing or vibration except on the most wicked washboard and even then it's very minor. Just drilled directly through the bumper and chrome cap (93 model).

DougM

B, I didn't even notice that. Just a resize in photoshop that altered the clouds. I don't have the skills in photoshop to put real mountains in the photo.

-Matt

ALP61:
I had PIAA 1500 fogs and CIBIE Tango Driving lights mounted on the factory bumper, without any prob. After hooking up with Eric and acquiring his brush guard, I've since relocated the PIAA's and gotten a new set of CIBIEs, both of which are mounted on the guard.

Rather than bore the masses...if you want some details, PM me.

Beo:
You sure don't want no stinkin' brush bar though.
Enough already! :D :D

CDAN....
I think that Kit is who you are thinking of. you know, the "switch flipper"
......'Switch Flipper'?????????? :mad: Oh....by the way...if anyone needs a rear heater 'hi / lo' switch that I was previously using to swith the old driving lights.....PM me. Free. :) <--- 3/1/04 Switch went to Beo this a.m.........

The Hella 500s on TX Cruiser would be a good choice for top mount on the bumper as they are really thin. Not too spendy either. Also they make them with fog lens or driving lens, make sure you choose correctly. Use a good relay!! Driving lights should be mounted up higher. If you were to do fog lights the cowls in the bumper would be a good spot.

IdahoDoug: You're running the big Hellas on top of your bumper? I wouldn't think that they would fit depth wise. My 4000s are really thick and the bigger ones are even deeper. Any photos?

I did the same thing with some PIAA fog lights as 80and100 did with those Hella's. I to remember the rectangular driving lights mounted in the vents in the bumper as well. They looked just fine IMHO.

Eric,

The truck's away on a ski trip at the moment. But they are the Hella Rally 3000s which were Hella's biggest model until the 4000 replaced them, which I also have. The 3000s simply bolted directly through the chrome cap on the bumper and have about 1/8" clearance behind them. Folks with the 95 and up models will have even more room since the bumper is deeper for airbag purposes. That was quite literally the simplest and most successful (structurally - no movement) fog light mount I've ever done and I've probably installed over a dozen sets of aux mounts on my rigs over the years.

DougM

Cool! I wonder if I can put my 4000s off my 91 to my stock 94 bumper. That would be nice for an upcoming road trip.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom