Driving JDM RHD into the states and mexico?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Just wondering what troubles if any I would have taking a JDM across the borders? Do the states and Mexico allow these vehicles to be drivin on their highways?

i have driven a number of RHD over the state border with no issues...
get a compy of the form one, proof of purchase, insurance and ownership just in case they ask...and away you go...

It should be just fine! There are folks from all over the world that travel like that. One issue that you should consider is that Mexico NEVER officially imported LandCruisers and even Toyota as not officially imported until after NAFTA. This means any part requirements will be met either in Canada, the USA or Central America. A fellow from Germany had a 5-6 week wait for parts specific for his 5 cylinder PZ engine in his German market LandCruiser while he was in Mexico.

If you need more info on Mexico or Central America check out some of my posts on www.4wdtrips.net (same user name).

btw We are from the Lower Mainland (Surrey) as well.

living in arizona there are zero legal issues with rhd driving. Mexico (northern) does not care as well. At military check points the kids just sit there and laugh.

but, as always, US customs coming north always makes the same joke "your on the wrong side ain't you?". Which usually leads me into "hey, someone broke into the truck and stole the left side wheel!!"

'morans'

(from the long haired protester holding the "get a brain morans" sign see on the interweb)

Never a problem crossing from BC to WA, unless you count the 10min interrogation - "where did you get it? How hard is it to drive? I've been trying to talk my girlfriend into letting me get one!" from the Cdn customs officer. Looking forward to trying Mexico some day.

Only issue I had was the border officials on both sides wanting me to roll down my back windows. It's got pretty heavy tint on the back. Once they saw the kids in the back we were good to go. I really hate the heavy tin the Japanese seem to like. I guess it gives them the privacy they need. :D

I am also kicking around the idea of driving to Mexico this summer but am not keen on crossing the Sonora desert in Mexico and the US in the heat of summer. I guess it depends on flights and the amount of time SWMBO gets off from work.

Only issue I had was the border officials on both sides wanting me to roll down my back windows. It's got pretty heavy tint on the back. Once they saw the kids in the back we were good to go. I really hate the heavy tin the Japanese seem to like. I guess it gives them the privacy they need. :D

I am also kicking around the idea of driving to Mexico this summer but am not keen on crossing the Sonora desert in Mexico and the US in the heat of summer. I guess it depends on flights and the amount of time SWMBO gets off from work.

John, the tint is not a RHD thing. You'll be thankful for it if you do drive to Mexico in the summer. The dark tint definitely reduces inside temperatures.

The desert is not too bad, Arizona is probably the worst when it gets to 115 F. Just make sure the A/C is in tip-top shape and all will be well.

Hello LCdreaming, this winter my family and I drove from BC down as far as Cabo in our Hdj81 (RHD) ...No hassles at all! Was stopped many times for routine checkpoint stops in Mexico and the young soldiers were curious (to say the least) but No problems whatsoever. I see you seem to be considering a JDM, these trucks are very nice, reliable and fun vehicles. Drove through some unbelievable bad snow conditions on the trip and before going you probably remember the snow storms in early December (16" on my long steep driveway). Hope this helps, Tony

living in arizona there are zero legal issues with rhd driving. Mexico (northern) does not care as well. At military check points the kids just sit there and laugh.

but, as always, US customs coming north always makes the same joke "your on the wrong side ain't you?". Which usually leads me into "hey, someone broke into the truck and stole the left side wheel!!"

Hypothetically speaking, what if a guy (US citizen, sporting a passport) was bold enough to pick up a LHD diesel Hilux or Prado in Belize (for parts of course) and drive through Mexico into Arizona or Texas? Assuming he (and vehicle) survived the trip, do the Border folks pay any attention to what hes driving, or just whether he has a passport?

thanks in advance for any advice, opinions, or ridicule...

I got parts for my 94 80 series in Morelia, 700 miles south of Laredo in two days way faster than the 4-6 WEEKS I waited for part for my 90 BMW convertible.

I had a rhd 2002 BMW in the mid 80's imported from England & registered in California. rhd is no problem in the States.

I had much more trouble coming north into the US than going south into Mexico.

Have a safe fun trip!
Hypothetically speaking, what if a guy (US citizen, sporting a passport) was bold enough to pick up a LHD diesel Hilux or Prado in Belize (for parts of course) and drive through Mexico into Arizona or Texas? Assuming he (and vehicle) survived the trip, do the Border folks pay any attention to what hes driving, or just whether he has a passport?

thanks in advance for any advice, opinions, or ridicule...
I had an accident in my BMW & drove my Mexican registered Suburban to Von Ormy Tx, 140 miles north of Laredo to a junk yard to get the parts I needed, the border people paid no attention to anything but my passport & the contents (none) of the suv.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom