Driving down the highway and stopped driving/lost acceleration. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm going up a slight incline, accelerating to merge at highway speeds and suddenly I lose the ability to go forward with the engines power. I did end up have to get a tow. The tow truck driver insisted the trans was over heated on the phone. But I have been keeping my Laser temp gun in the car because I have been having problems with no heat and wanted to record temps during different settings. I put the laser on every surface it could see, whilst I was on the side of the road, and the highest temp recorded was 147. I pulled the trans dip stick and it didn't smell burnt imo. I am inclined to think it is the converter alone. But I don't have enough experience in this area. I apologize I forgot to say this earlier, but there was a rotational clickingish sound coming from the vehicle before this breakdown. If I wasn't on the gas, the sound wasn't there.

This happened to me last week. Did you throw a check engine light? I have a clicking/whining sound coming from the front end under acceleration.

TB/WP was replaced 40k miles ago for me.

My code was for failed accelerator pedal position sensor. I’m replacing my throttle body tomorrow. I’m at 202k miles, 1998.

This happened to me last week. Did you throw a check engine light? I have a clicking/whining sound coming from the front end under acceleration.

TB/WP was replaced 40k miles ago for me.

My code was for failed accelerator pedal position sensor. I’m replacing my throttle body tomorrow. I’m at 202k miles, 1998.

The engine would still rev after the fact. I' headed to my mechanics now to see what he says.

Do you remember if the rotational clickingish noise was still occurring when you rev'ed the engine after the loss of acceleration? Any chance the transfer case was not fully engaged and it popped out into neutral? Did you try moving the gear selector to other gears and still get no acceleration? Sorry this happened to you, just trying to throw out ideas.

This is a year 2000: Those have faulty transmissions

Did the engine run but the truck didn’t move or the engine was not producing enough power? The lack of cabin heat worries me because that could be low coolant.

Did you try turning on the center diff lock and drive it? Could be the front flanges which would explain the clicking.

The engine would still rev after the fact. I' headed to my mechanics now to see what he says.

ugh that makes me nervous. sounds similar to when my FJ62 transmission went out.

Did you try making sure that your t-case shifter didn't pop out of gear and then also locking the center diff to see if the vehicle could move afterwards?

Although the 2000 model transmission problems are well known, I'd get someone to operate the transmission while looking underneath to see if cv axles or any other drivetrain components that are visible are spinning.

Did you try making sure that your t-case shifter didn't pop out of gear and then also locking the center diff to see if the vehicle could move afterwards?

Although the 2000 model transmission problems are well known, I'd get someone to operate the transmission while looking underneath to see if cv axles or any other drivetrain components that are visible are spinning.
No it didn't. However, before it failed I put it in 4L and the sound increased immediately.

Is the transmission fluid low by any chance?

Is the transmission fluid low by any chance?
No. My mechanic said the fluid was black tho. But when I checked it on the side of the road it was dark out so I couldn't really tell. But it did not smell burnt.
Have you pulled codes? This sounds like the issue with APPS and TPS going around due to cold weather.
No, I'll swing by there tomorrow and throw my BT scanner on it.

This is a year 2000: Those have faulty transmissions
I kinda remember reading about this years ago when I first got mine. But do you remember any of the details about the faulty transmissions?

This question is for anyone who has knowledge about it. I've got a few options. Buy a used one from out of a 98 with 120k on it. Get it rebuilt locally.

What was the faulty part in the transmissions? Is there a revision on the part that was prone to fail?

I can't get your video to play, but these were the same symptoms my '01 was exhibiting. I had Toyota drop the pan and replace the fluid (not a flush). No luck. New (reman) transmission from Toyota at 245K miles.

I'm hoping this is not your issue, but thought I'd throw my 2 cents in.

I can't get your video to play, but these were the same symptoms my '01 was exhibiting. I had Toyota drop the pan and replace the fluid (not a flush). No luck. New (reman) transmission from Toyota at 245K miles.

I'm hoping this is not your issue, but thought I'd throw my 2 cents in.

You know, it is what it is. My mechanic is very fair with me. So, as long as I provide good parts he'll treat me fairly. One time he replaced rotors, pads and calipers for 150. Considering, I know how difficult it can be to remove those rotors I was expecting a 450 dollar bill(what I would have charged just for labor if someone asked me to do it) after I provided the parts.

I looked on one Toyota dealer parts site and they no longer sell a reman transmission. How much did you pay for yours? Out of curiosity. I did find a used one with good miles on it for a seemingly good price. So we will see what happens.

Nobody responded about what makes the trans fail so Idk how to improve a rebuild

You know, it is what it is. My mechanic is very fair with me. So, as long as I provide good parts he'll treat me fairly. One time he replaced rotors, pads and calipers for 150. Considering, I know how difficult it can be to remove those rotors I was expecting a 450 dollar bill(what I would have charged just for labor if someone asked me to do it) after I provided the parts.

I looked on one Toyota dealer parts site and they no longer sell a reman transmission. How much did you pay for yours? Out of curiosity. I did find a used one with good miles on it for a seemingly good price. So we will see what happens.

Nobody responded about what makes the trans fail so Idk how to improve a rebuild

List on the reman was $3708. I paid $2639 (club discount). Install was another $1400. This was in Feb of '20. Mileage was actually 235K.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom