Driving a FJ62 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Got a question for you FJ62 drivers out there about your driving habits. How do you drive your FJ62? For instance mine is a 1988 fj62 with a SOA, stock gearing and running 35's and when i drive i try not to let the rpms go over 2500 as i accelerate and when i am on the highway cruising home i run at about 2100 rpms and going roughly 70mph. Am i babying my truck too much? Are these rigs able to go up to 3000 rpms or more?

I have always wanted to compare my normal driving habits to others? With my rig having 270K on the original 3FE i find myself driving nice and easy as i don't want to put anymore wear and tear on her then i need to.

Jason

I drive a 60 and rev up to about 3100-3200 tops.

The unofficial Mud red line for a 2F is reputed to be around 4,000 rpm; I maintain that it depends on how well it is balanced. I rev both of my 2F's as high as 3,000 to shift, but keep them to ~2,500 sustained on the highway. I believe that being somewhat conservative with rpm will result in a long-lived engine, though you can take it too far as lugging these motors will burn up the exhaust valves in no time.

Your 3FE has a shorter stroke than a 2F and it will safely rev a little higher than a 2F. I don't remember what the red line was on my FJ80. I'd think you'd want to be careful not to lug it, pushing 35's with stock gearing - in that case I think a few rpm too high would be better than a few rpm too low.

My 2F feels strong past 3000rpm. I've taken it to 3500 on occasion :D

Your biggest factor is gearing. That will take a toll on your 62. I'd recommend 4.88's for your current set-up. Should drive much much better

I have an 89 fj62 with 277k on the original 3FE with 31s and stock gearing. It's a DD and drive on the freeway pretty often.

I drive slow compared to most with an average top speed of 60 mph and rpms at about 2000-2200. When accelerating I'll usually downshift and rev to maybe 33-3500 at most and never at sustained speeds.

It helps gas mileage, less engine wear for an engine with almost 300k, and being ignored by local law enforcement.

I hit 3000, on occasion but try to keep around 2500. I rum a sua set up 35's as well, I drive with the understanding if I need to be anywhere in a hurry, well I'm already late. She's not built for speed.

I'd say you are being too easy on the engine (taking it to 3500 regularly is the key to getting anything out of the 3FE) and too hard on the tranny (35s with stock gears??? I hope you have an aux ATF cooler at least). I took my 3FE to 4500 a couple times, and ran it in the 3000-4000 range whenever I needed power. Since I've had the 2FE, it's hardly ever needed to run above 3500.

Stock gears and the ATF Cooler is in place

I have a stock 88. 3FE and 31's. I cruise about 70 which is 2500 rpms. On hills it downshifts and hits 3000-3100 for short periods of time. I don't like staying around 3000 for too long but thats just me. I'm always waiting for something to happen. I've had great luck with my 62 and I like to think it's because I take good care of the old boy.

my 88 fj62 with the h42 transmission seems happiest around 2800 revs, I generally shift at about 3200. I wouldn't hesitate to take it higher for a grade or a load. the block has 313000 on its clock.

Wow! I didn't know a 62 would run 70 mph. Mine will if I'm going down hill. Personally the only time mine gets up to 3000 rpm's is on a steep grade. Bruce is big, heavy and slow. I don't get in a hurry with him. 197k on him and I love it.

it's a lifestyle thing, isn't it?:)

my 88 fj62 with the h42 transmission seems happiest around 2800 revs, I generally shift at about 3200. I wouldn't hesitate to take it higher for a grade or a load. the block has 313000 on its clock.

I followed your h42 thread. Good to know your 313000mil motor has that kind of oomph. Mine at "indicated" 270k or so seems strong as well. I don't redline her except for a very few rare moments. And indicated means when i got here, no speedo was working, but I do few miles with it as a road legal "farm truck or sorts" in MA and I just got the speedo working - it was just not connected behind dash. *sigh*.

And I have a parts truck (84 60) sitting waiting on me and my inclination to swap in the manual.

But these motors just keep chugging....

that's what I love about em. and to think all those years ago when I first got my rig, I was planning an SBC swap:doh:. My plan is to stuff a rebuilt 2F under the 3fe head and induction someday. r+r ing the O2 sensors this w/e and then it's on to dial in the efi system.

3500 rpm, second gear, 50 mph. The only way to see the mountains of CO, without a V-8...

Desmogged 3fe running 4.56's on 35's - When I have on the 35" BFG AT's the truck just goes and goes. It will hit 80 MPH and have room on the tach for more ( 3300 rpm ). I'm the one that runs out of courage at 75+.

I know that when the motor noise overwhelms the tire noise it is time to let off the skinny. Usually at 3900 rpm or so.

My motor has about 200k on it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom