Driving 330 miles in my FJ40 - talk me off the cliff (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

An fj40 can do it, no problems. i can't say your fj40 can do it, but i wouldn't be the slightest bit concerned about doing it in mine.

This is my 40 in the Sierra’s of California this morning. We have relatives in Texas, we could literally wipe off the snow, turn the key, drive around the 60 & be in Texas the same number of days as if we had driven the Avalon. 3 driving days.

Its not a big deal.

EB8FC303-C70D-4EC6-876B-E93CADB65158.jpeg

Last edited:
Don’t let the minor leaks stop you. Carry some tools, fluids, and aaa card for everything else.

I routinely drive my leaky and loud 40 300 miles in a day. Only time I’ve needed a tow was when an electric fuel pump died. Replaced with an oem mechanical and haven’t looked back.

Who’s going with you? Solo, family, another car following?

For me it usually comes down risk tolerance. Am I willing to be inconvenienced by a breakdown solo or with my son or daughter? You bet. Adventure. Whole family? Nah, not worth it.

i bought mine which was way worse shape than yours and drove it home with no tools or sore parts. that was 1600km through the rockies. i figured what the heck. if it breaks i’ll figure it out then! it makes for part of the adventure if you are willing to deal with things that go sideways and are willing to let your plans slide. if you have to be somewhere and a breakdown will absolutely kill your trip then take something you absolutely trust (they can still break too though). if it runs 75 miles regularly with no issues i wouldn’t hesitate 300. just plan to take your time and smell the roses!! i would do it for sure!!

That sand rally looks like a lot of fun! I might try and make it in the pig from Nashville!
Looking to shift some things around and make sure I've got my bases covered....I may make the trip down solo this year.

This is my 40 in the Sierra’s of California this morning. We have relatives in Texas, we could literally wipe off the snow, turn the key, drive around the 60 & be in Texas the same day as if we had driven the Avalon.

Its not a big deal.

View attachment 3257718
Who whoa wait just one minute: California Sierras to Texas in a day in an FJ40? IN ONE DAY???

Looking to shift some things around and make sure I've got my bases covered....I may make the trip down solo this year.
We camped at topsail last spring break and had a great time. I had no idea this was a thing. Might need to represent in the ole pig it would be an epic maiden voyage. Or if I don’t finish it in time the trusty but rusty 40! :steer:

You have about half the distance as we do from TN, I had considered driving the 40 the long way, but will trailer mine down next month because we have 3 families traveling as a group.

I will have to check out the sand rally and consider driving down, sounds like a great potential adventure.

4 or 5 years ago I stopped in the middle of a flight through Atlanta, @Wadsters picked me up the airport and we drove South to check out and buy a nice original 40 that I bought and drove 250 miles back in the dark that night!

My family was out of town and had no idea of my plans and I had zero tools or spares, just a quick once over, his vote of confidence (and phone number) from a very reputable seller/40 enthusiast and a smile on my face the whole trip back home!

1125CC67-BE9A-49F9-8138-D85ECD99B284.jpeg

Longest trip I’ve done in mine is just shy of 2,000 miles. I also daily drive it as a college student. It’s fairly reliable, but have been left stranded my fair share of times, usually at the most convenient timing :hillbilly:

I trust it, but always remember I am driving a 47 year old vehicle at the end of the day. Keep my spare parts and fluids in the back at all times. My point is, something will always happen, that’s a given. Understanding and dealing with it is apart of cruiser ownership.

Sounds to me like you’ve done your fair share of preventative maintenance. Go out and enjoy it!

EDF6604A-344F-42A9-8380-9390C5BF9CD9.jpeg

CF888B93-A2A7-4331-9644-56EF35055E34.jpeg

Who whoa wait just one minute: California Sierras to Texas in a day in an FJ40? IN ONE DAY???
Yeah, I did not express myself very well, sorry. What I was attempting to say was I could get there in the same number of days in my 40 that it would take me to do it with the Avalon. Sierras to Flagstaff, then to Tucumcari, then on into Texas.👍🙏👍

Hello,

Just do it.

As others suggested, make sure you have tools, fluids and a pump. And make sure you have your insurance up to date in case you need a tow.

I guess you are already used to the noise and suspension. Stop every two hours or so to stretch your legs and smell the roses.

Juan

Mate your over thinking it. You have done the maintenance and have a basic idea on how it works.
I just did 600 miles highway round trip. That not including 2 days of all day 4x4 in the sand and had zero dramas or concerns it wasn't going to make it. That's in a BJ42 so it's even slower and louder!

They all leak somewhere, as long as it's not pouring out, just top up Fluids. You live in the USA, breaking down happens to probably 10's of thousands of people every day. Worse case it breaks down you just get it towed and get it back on the road.
You don't need any special mechanic to work on a Landcruiser, they are basic as **** and if a mechanic doesn't know how to fix it their not gonna know how to fix anything!
You'll be fine, these things are bulletproof if you have done the maintenance.

I was just talking with my wife about last years trip down to Santa Rosa Beach, it didn't take any longer going down than it typically does. (NOTE - there is a reason I drive a 40 most of the time, I'm not in any rush to get from point A to point B. And we typically take at least two stops on the 330 mile journey anyway.) We took 575S/285W/85S/185S to Columbus, 431S to Dothan, back roads over to Defuniak Springs to drop off some FJ40 1/2 doors at @thatcabledude house....then 331S down to Santa Rosa. Now I was crusing at least 65/70 mph on the interstates (Woodstock to Columbus), but the back roads were a breeze, 45/55mph....Heck, even got a candid photo from @thatcabledude on the Alabama backroads while me unknowingly passing each other.

Now going back home we took the same route from the Beach up to Columbus, but stayed on the back roads from there up to Woodstock. Had a 'VERY' enjoyable ride back just cruising 50mph to 60mph through the county side of Georgia. We will probably be doing this same route back home from Spring Break.
Thanks Buddy for this inspiration...We do same way down - I think we bypass Columbus most of the time....but i do enjoy all the back roads past Columbus...and past Dothan....we have done it so much that I know every house, every fire station, every ma & pa bar and every gas station by now. I think its the 75/285w and that long slog on 85/185 that is creeping me out in an FJ40.

If you get down here and something goes awry I’ve got your back.

That could mean swapping in a LS to get the truck if needed. :grinpimp:
Now that sounds like an amazing offer - heck, Id be happy to know you are at "mile XYZ" and know someone is near by who knows these rigs better than I do. What part of town are you in @thatcabledude

Thanks Buddy for this inspiration...We do same way down - I think we bypass Columbus most of the time....but i do enjoy all the back roads past Columbus...and past Dothan....we have done it so much that I know every house, every fire station, every ma & pa bar and every gas station by now. I think its the 75/285w and that long slog on 85/185 that is creeping me out in an FJ40.
Use a directional app (MapQuest) on your I-phone and turn the interstate settings off....

First, you're talking about 2 full tanks of gas or less. I burn that much just letting mine warm up.
Second, these rigs are 40+ years old and still running. It's a testament to there reliability.
Do your preflight check and relax.
This thread is useless without pics
20230215_122026.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom